No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

5 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I've never heard "extra" used the way you're using it. I get the gist from the context though. Maybe it's a Colorado thing. Or a young person thing.

Strange the don't have a Western omelet. They are pretty standard and I'd think would be one of the 3. Can't be they wanted an option for for vegans because they wouldn't eat eggs, right?

Probably a young person thing lol, it's common lingo among my crowd and my siblings too. I hear and see it a lot even on the Internet it basically just means "dramatic" haha :classic_biggrin:

But I actually agree, Western omelet is delicious! Too bad it is not one of the options.

• Like 1

I haven't read through everything. But is this only affecting brunch, versus the regular MDR breakfast? My guess is that with brunch so popular, it's easier for them to limit the options so they can be pre-made and the wait staff just grab and go, versus waiting for a cooked to order omelette.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I haven't read through everything. But is this only affecting brunch, versus the regular MDR breakfast? My guess is that with brunch so popular, it's easier for them to limit the options so they can be pre-made and the wait staff just grab and go, versus waiting for a cooked to order omelette.

Your question is answered in post #4

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There's also more dimensions to this. People act like sea day brunch is boxed cereal and bagels now. I'd be willing to bet more half of the people complaining (probably higher) about this never ordered this in the first place. I know there's plenty of people racing to their keyboards after that statement to inform me "that I need to listen as to why the removal of the option has ruined cruising for them."

I'll be honest, I never knew it was even a thing.  lol.  I guess I don't get the omelette hype.  I also never understood why anyone waits in that long line on the lido for an omelette.  I can make one at home in 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival's target market today is not past cruisers with fond memories of Carnival's past level of service, it is people like @bg2310 who don't know what Carnival is capable of and defend the current product.

Well, I mean, if the target market finds the current product acceptable, why wouldn't Carnival put that product out?

I think it's being overlooked that Carnival is BILLIONS of dollars in debt.  What they were once capable of doesn't mean the are currently capable.  

I took my first cruise in 2018.  I had a better time on every one of my cruises than any previous vacation I can remember, and will continue to sail with Carnival.  I have no problem defending the product.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Well, I mean, if the target market finds the current product acceptable, why wouldn't Carnival put that product out?

I think it's being overlooked that Carnival is BILLIONS of dollars in debt.  What they were once capable of doesn't mean the are currently capable.  

I took my first cruise in 2018.  I had a better time on every one of my cruises than any previous vacation I can remember, and will continue to sail with Carnival.  I have no problem defending the product.

Carnival is not a charity, their financial situation is not my concern.

I cut them some slack at the initial covid restart - bacon crisis, rooms not ready at embarkation, food below standard - but at this point, "I'm just happy to be able to cruise again" isn't good enough for me anymore.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You do the math yourself, I did not cherry pick anything. I literally went to Sandals and picked a random week far enough out to where there would be decent availability still, then looked for a reasonably similar Carnival cruise.

Give me your own criteria and I'll see if the math works out similarly. What time of year, what location, etc?

No need, I know the prices.  I was not doubting your math skills.

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Purchasing a product is not charity.  The financial situation of every business you purchase from should be your concern, because generally it plays a factor on the cost.  If you feel the cost outweighs the value, it would be a good idea to not purchase from that business.  

Luckily, the world is full of choices!  You've mentioned you wouldn't be booking anymore Carnival cruises, which leaves me wondering why you still spend time on these forums.  

BINGO

• Thanks 1

Just now, mz-s said:

To make things fair, I even had the Sandals check in and check out dates to be the same as the dates of the cruise so there is no seasonality in effect.

Which sandals, which room, what dates….. which cruise, which city which date….we can go on and on.  I book sandals a lot, I am comfortable with the logic…and my post.  We can move on…I think you were booking Sandals for your next cruise….did not mean to interrupt.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival is not a charity, their financial situation is not my concern.

I cut them some slack at the initial covid restart - bacon crisis, rooms not ready at embarkation, food below standard - but at this point, "I'm just happy to be able to cruise again" isn't good enough for me anymore.

No, they aren't a charity, but their financial situation is still of concern to me- if they go belly up while I have a cruise booked with them I probably lose my money. Their financial situation also lets me understand why certain things are done. Another thing to keep in mind is that Carnival isn't the only cruise line making these types of changes- go to any cruise line forum and you'll see very similar complaints. They still offer me a good value for my vacation dollar and to me that is all that matters to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bg2310 said:

And that's totally fair! I only started cruising this year so I cannot be aware of what all Carnival used to provide, but does so no longer in the cost of one's cruise fare.

In any case, I'm only referring to one's omelets options in the MDR only. :classic_smile:

This is an important and telling post.  Us old timers remember what cruising was before the many rounds of cuts that make us feel that the Carnival product has degraded.  The newer cruisers must be happy with what is offered or they wouldn't continue to sail with Carnival.  Cruise pricing is going up and the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Why should Carnival change what they are doing at this point? 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Us old timers remember what cruising was before the many rounds of cuts that make us feel that the Carnival product has degraded. 

The same can be said of all cruise lines. Those who switch will never know what they missed - at least not first hand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The same can be said of all cruise lines. Those who switch will never know what they missed - at least not first hand.

That's what the past fans of Celebrity told me (and anyone who would listen) when we "discovered" the line. I thought it was great. Of course, from my perspective, it's not like it was 15 years ago - and it's changing quickly...

Sky Suites no longer have a butler, etc...

Tom

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Obviously Carnival could choose to go bankrupt, but they choose to stay in business. Bravo for them!

They could choose to go bankrupt AND stay in business.

A large percentage of companies that go through corporate bankruptcies stay in business.

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

This is an important and telling post.  Us old timers remember what cruising was before the many rounds of cuts that make us feel that the Carnival product has degraded.  The newer cruisers must be happy with what is offered or they wouldn't continue to sail with Carnival.  Cruise pricing is going up and the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Why should Carnival change what they are doing at this point? 

Only some old timers feel there's been a degradation. Many don't feel there has been. Changes, sure, but not a degradation. Our cruise on Glory was fantastic and none of the changes had an adverse impact on that. (Same goes for our two Legend cruises as well.)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

It's pretty shameful to police and attempt to denigrate the experiences of those who haven't previously had the luxury or privilege to cruise.

Not to mention telling of how snooty and arrogant some of the cruising crowd appears to be, at least on this site/forum.

You are totally misunderstanding my post.  I'm not trying to denigrate newer cruisers.  I was saying that those new to cruising aren't looking at the experience with the same lens as those that have cruised with Carnival for many years.  Neither is right or wrong, they just see it differently.  The newer cruisers are, for the most part, happy with their cruise experience.  I think most that have cruised with Carnival for many years, still think the product is good, they just miss parts of the good ole days.  Those that don't like the product, have moved on to other cruise lines or other types of vacations.  Since Carnival is sailing with full ships, then why should they change back?    

17 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I simply stated a fact - Carnival wants new cruisers who do not know what Carnival is capable of.

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Carnival wants all cruisers. It's a mass market cruise line. That cruisers mature out of a market is a fact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am glad you enjoy Carnival and hope you continue to do so for years to come if that is what you want. I did not mean to be "cruise police" or whatever you think. You've come to Cruise Critic, you shouldn't be surprised that there are people here who are critical although that does trip up a lot of people here so you're in good company.

I simply stated a fact - Carnival wants new cruisers who do not know what Carnival is capable of.

Ignorance - as they say - is bliss.

The travel industry has completely changed in the past 3 years and I guess it's hard for us to recognize that, at least it can be for me sometimes. Nothing is the same as it was pre-COVID, for good or bad.

Thank you very the very back-handed, condescending compliment. By cruise police, I am merely making an observation that people appear to be policing my opinions on my cruise experience all because I didn't cruise "back in your days".

Of course I would expect critiques on Cruise Critic, the name did not fly over my head. But again, are we really going to have this conversation when the topic of the thread and my point specifically was about omelete ingredients, and not Carnival cuts more generally?

I'm not over here saying people cannot be disappointed about this specifically, as many of you seem to be insinuating. I am merely pointing out how extra it is for a select few who are making a big fuss about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The ships are pledged as collateral.

Yes... and not all forms of bankruptcy involve liquidation. Some involve forced sale to a purchaser who takes on the debt.

Edited by aborgman

Yes, very true.  We still cruise on Carnival but do venture out to other lines, too.  It seems like they all are making cuts and have some unhappy loyal customers.     

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's what the past fans of Celebrity told me (and anyone who would listen) when we "discovered" the line. I thought it was great. Of course, from my perspective, it's not like it was 15 years ago - and it's changing quickly...

Sky Suites no longer have a butler, etc...

Tom

Lol, we have had bad luck with getting to sail on Celebrity.  All of our booked cruises were either cancelled or we had to cancel for various reasons.  They were all in Sky Suites.  The uproar on the Celebrity board about food in particular has been a sight to see.  Now the prices in The Retreat are too high for us.  Perhaps it was never meant to be.

18 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Only some old timers feel there's been a degradation. Many don't feel there has been. Changes, sure, but not a degradation. Our cruise on Glory was fantastic and none of the changes had an adverse impact on that. (Same goes for our two Legend cruises as well.)

We've been cruising on Carnival for over 20 years, but only on 26 cruises with them.  I do miss some things that have gone away.  Many other changes didn't bother us.  We will be cruising on Carnival in February, so we haven't given up yet.      

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Yes... and not all forms of bankruptcy involve liquidation. Some involve forced sale to a purchaser who takes on the debt.

Can't run a cruise line without ships.

Edited by BlerkOne