Finding a cruise starting from Ireland/Iceland to NY or the east coast.

Mike981

My Princess (daughter) is getting married mid 2025 in Iceland and my DW and I would like to take some time to visit Ireland as well. We thought it would be interesting to see if a cruise starting from either Iceland or Ireland to NY is a possibility. Since we only cruise the Caribbean I have no idea of where to start looking, let alone of it is possible.

Thank you for your help.

The advanced search feature on cruise critic cruise search allows you to choose ports and embarkation ports.  Start with the embarkation port only to get a good variety.  (Other travel sites also have these search engines)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

My Princess (daughter) is getting married mid 2025 in Iceland and my DW and I would like to take some time to visit Ireland as well. We thought it would be interesting to see if a cruise starting from either Iceland or Ireland to NY is a possibility. Since we only cruise the Caribbean I have no idea of where to start looking, let alone of it is possible.

Thank you for your help.

It's going to depend upon the actual dates, but there are cruises from Reykjavik to Cape Liberty.

• Like 1

We found a repositioning cruise on NCL that starts in NY. It spends 2 days in Iceland but I can’t remember where it ends. We never took the cruise due to Covid. But hope to one day. 
Repositioning cruises happen at the beginning and end of the various seasons. They can be a great value. This one was 14 days, started in NY to Halifax, to Iceland. Then went on to Ireland, Wales and Belgium. 
Hopefully the wedding date falls when a cruise like this is doable. 

• Like 1

I really appreciate all of your help. As of "right now" it looks like a September 2025 wedding in Iceland.

As I said, this is a whole new world  for us. I am very comfortable booking a Caribbean cruise, but this seems a lot more difficult.

6 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I really appreciate all of your help. As of "right now" it looks like a September 2025 wedding in Iceland.

As I said, this is a whole new world  for us. I am very comfortable booking a Caribbean cruise, but this seems a lot more difficult.

QM2 sails from Southampton to  New York Sept 26, 2025 - and again in late October - if a visit to Ireland followed the Iceland ceremony it could be a great way to avoid jet lag.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, Mike981 said:

let alone of it is possible

The logistics of getting a normal transatlantic cruise to coincide with a wedding in Iceland would likely difficult.  There are some sites on the internet that list all of the scheduled cruise ship stops on the net which you can probably google up looking for search terms like "cruise ship calendar."  Of course what happens if the Iceland port stop gets cancelled by weather?  A ferry service also exists from Denmark to Iceland if you really want to go by sea to Iceland.

My own idea would be to first go on an Ireland cruise which is most often combined with a UK cruise too and then simply fly to the wedding and then home.  In all cases I would separate the Irish portion of the trip from the wedding in terms of planning.  I personally would look at simply doing Ireland by land as well to get a more immersive experience than is possibly by cruise.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You may be a bit early for Fall 2025 cruises. 

Also, something as specific as ireland or iceland to new york will be extremely limited. I think you'll be limited enough just trying to get from Europe to New York during a certain month. Unless you are really just looking for an option to avoid flying, you would be better off just planning to tour Europe and fly home. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 12:54 PM, sanger727 said:

You may be a bit early for Fall 2025 cruises. 

Also, something as specific as ireland or iceland to new york will be extremely limited. I think you'll be limited enough just trying to get from Europe to New York during a certain month. Unless you are really just looking for an option to avoid flying, you would be better off just planning to tour Europe and fly home. 

Yes, as OP was discussing a wedding in Iceland in mid-2024 , followed by possible travel in Ireland, the best bet would be to scan trans-Atlantics ending in New York, of which there would be plenty in late Summer/early Fall from places in (more likely just near) Iceland or Ireland.   Most likely Southampton - which,  in addition to fairly long cruise ship repositionings, would  offer probably one Queen Mary 2 straight shot 7 day sailing to New York each month.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, as OP was discussing a wedding in Iceland in mid-2024 , followed by possible travel in Ireland, the best bet would be to scan trans-Atlantics ending in New York, of which there would be plenty in late Summer/early Fall from places in (more likely just near) Iceland or Ireland.   Most likely Southampton - which,  in addition to fairly long cruise ship repositionings, would  offer probably one Queen Mary 2 straight shot 7 day sailing to New York each month.

Thank you @Navybankerteacher. Just to clarify, we are sailing in 2025 and most likely in September.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

Thank you @Navybankerteacher. Just to clarify, we are sailing in 2025 and most likely in September.

We have come back from Europe by ship a number of times by ship in late summer early fall. It sure beats flying back.  Once you establish the general time range of your travel you can start checking crossing sailings and, if compatible with your general time frame, pick the sailing to New York most compatible, and then fill in the time between your fixed date in Iceland.  It really helps to have a lot of free time.

• Like 1

These are all pricey options:

Silver Shadow 16 days Aug 17, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland New York,NY

Oceania Insignia 19 days Aug 25, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland New York, NY

Windstar Star Pride 21 days Aug 25, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland Montreal

Windstar Star Pride 14 days Sep 1, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland Montreal

Windstar Star Pride 25 days Sep 1, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland Boston

Crystal Serenity 13 days Sep 17, 2025 Reykjavik, Iceland New York, NY

• Like 1

Thank you @whogo!

As I take all of this wonderful advice and do more research, I am coming to the conclusion that it would be too long and too many days away for us to make all of it work. We might just end up doing a portion in Iceland and some in Ireland and figuring out the order based on the cost of air to fly home.

Thank you again for all for your help, we will have to do a TA another day.