Hanukkah dinner MDR

Maybe not worth a post. 2 potato pancakes kinda bland, never had them before so I guess normal, brisket and some broccoli and carrots.

There is a rabi onboard posted rcl hired him. From NJ. Hes got jelly filled donuts if you can figure out where he is.

20231207_174103.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Looking forward to trying it... I love brisket. 

It's not quite as tender as the mexican steak. Asa Verde or whatever name it is called. .. imo. It was Mexican night but offered hanukkah meal if you choose, though is brisket jewish? I have no idea, just asking. Yep it was 3 pieces of brisket. 

Me I wanted those jelly donuts the rabi was offering lol. I heard those potato pancakes are just formed and fried mashed potatoes. I expected more like hash browns more texture. First time so nothing to compare them too. 

When you board maybe you can find where he is with those jelly donuts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Looking forward to trying it... I love brisket. 

I love brisket, too.

When we ordered it last night on Wonder, the waiter asked if I wanted it medium rare or medium well?  I said I was surprised there was a choice; I presumed it would be braised until quite tender.  Rest assured, no rare brisket came to our table.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I love brisket, too.

When we ordered it last night on Wonder, the waiter asked if I wanted it medium rare or medium well?  I said I was surprised there was a choice; I presumed it would be braised until quite tender.  Rest assured, no rare brisket came to our table.😀

If they were offering "rare brisket", it couldn't have been BRISKET.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If they were offering "rare brisket", it couldn't have been BRISKET.

Is brisket even especially a Jewish dinner? 

I'm protestant irish where I grew up a meal wasnt a meal without potatoes. I dont think my town had any jewish people. So sorry I'm clueless about this. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't know what was in that picture, but that was no latke.

Wife and I agree!

Also that was sour cream and applesauce (horseradish wasn’t offered, though I’m sure we could have requested it)

52 minutes ago, Nabalab said:

This is how it looked on Oasis (last night)

IMG_1492.jpeg

That is brisket.

51 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm protestant irish where I grew up a meal wasnt a meal without potatoes. I dont think my town had any jewish people. So sorry I'm clueless about this. 

Brisket is a cut of beef.  The cooking of it can be specifically Jewish, but anyone is allowed to cook brisket.  😄 😄 😄  

Corned beef brisket is one example.  Surely you've had that, if you are Irish.  

28 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

We received apple sauce and sour cream.

That's for the "latkes" not for the brisket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Real latkes...

image.thumb.jpeg.905b2c0657c96a8ff38924e0b0069a8c.jpeg

Now my mouth is watering...............and I'm stuck on the Anthem.  Oh well, when I get home, my daughter and I can make real latkes together.  That always makes them taste better.  ❤️

• Like 7

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Brisket is one of the cheaper cuts of meat from the front half of the cow (the back half is not generally kosher--though it can be made kosher with special training and hard work--only one or two kosher butchers in the entire US can do this), so it's incredibly popular for Jewish holidays since you're feeding a crowd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

That is brisket.

Brisket is a cut of beef.  The cooking of it can be specifically Jewish, but anyone is allowed to cook brisket.  😄 😄 😄  

Corned beef brisket is one example.  Surely you've had that, if you are Irish.  

That's for the "latkes" not for the brisket.

I've never heard it called corned beef brisket. Just corned beef and cabbage. Clearly my upbringing was lacking. This is the first time I've even seen it called corned beef brisket.

We had the lobster tonight. 

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never heard it called corned beef brisket. Just corned beef and cabbage. Clearly my upbringing was lacking. This is the first time I've even seen it called corned beef brisket.

We had the lobster tonight. 

Corned beef is typically made with brisket anyway.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

RC chefs do not make real latkes.  The jelly doughnuts (sufganiyot) on Anthem are good, though.

Love sufganiyot even though I generally do not eat doughnuts. 
I wish we were on lady A for Hanukkah! 

Chag Sameach!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Real latkes...

image.thumb.jpeg.905b2c0657c96a8ff38924e0b0069a8c.jpeg

We’ve already made 10 pounds of latkes for the first 2 nights of Hanukkah dinners with family and friends.  Sunday will be another 10-15 pounds for our “big” celebration with 20 family and friends.  They came out sooo good this year and everyone is raving about them.  Even my 9-month old granddaughter is loving eating them.

Nice to see and hear that Royal Caribbean is at least making the effort to provide traditional meals for the holiday!

Happy Hanukkah all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1