Disembarkation across P & O

Poppy6879

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

And there in a nutshell is my point.    Not many lanyards with cruise cards are like these, which are officially recognised throughout the country. Sadly many say they don't know they exist.  

20231219_190208.jpg

As you say many don't know the meaning and I didn't fully understand until it was mentioned here many years ago. Then it started cropping up in the news during covid when perfectly healthy people were buying them on Amazon to queue jump, and people including some of the so called influencer's were openly bragging about using them. Maybe there is something the cruise lines could do to educate people to their use?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

It's been in existence since 2016 when Gatwick first adopted it.  It is extremely well advertised particularly on transport.  P&O apparently issue it and support its wearing.  Not new or badly advertised, in a lot of cases (not yours) assumed to be irrelevant.

As you said previously ,many people don't know what it is. I do now, so the extremely well advertised scheme passed me by... Just me ?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Jean Is famous for having different experiences on board ship to everybody else. Examples that spring to mind is despite her self confessed non obsession with hygiene she has never been ill, she has never met anyone who talked about what they paid for their cruise etc etc. 

No I am not famous for different experiences.  I have never been told on a cruise what somebody paid.  No I am not obsessive about hygiene, although I do wash my hands after using the loo.  I have never had norovirus.  My husband did catch a cold on board, but that's all.  We have cruised for 20 years.

I will repeat.  We disembarked Aurora in October.  We had breakfast at 7.15, were back at our cabin at 0755 and left and went to the lifts.  The first one had people in it, so we waited for the next.  Nobody in it, we went down to Deck 5 and disembarked.  What is so difficult to believe about that?  

If the first non-self-disembarkation is about 0830, what the hell is the problem.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

Just now, zap99 said:

As you said previously ,many people don't know what it is. I do now, so the extremely well advertised scheme passed me by... Just me ?

Zap, I’ve also not heard about this before reading about it on here. It is a very good idea and I am aware now, but I have to be honest and say I’d never seen one before Megabear posted the photo of the lanyard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Angel57 said:

Zap, I’ve also not heard about this before reading about it on here. It is a very good idea and I am aware now, but I have to be honest and say I’d never seen one before Megabear posted the photo of the lanyard.

Never seen it before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not just you - I have never seen or heard of this before.  At a guess, those who are unaware of it will vastly outnumber those who have but 'assume' it to be irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Not just you - I have never seen or heard of this before.  At a guess, those who are unaware of it will vastly outnumber those who have but 'assume' it to be irrelevant.

DW volunteers at a day centre and residential home for elderly folk. She didn't know about it either.🤔

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

When people get in a lift is it usual to look at any card hanging down on somebody's chest?. In my experience they look at the floor numbers moving up and down, or stare straight ahead. Anyway, we all know now. Any other coloured lanyards I should know about ?.🤣

Edited by zap99

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

When people get in a lift is it usual to look at any card hanging down on somebody's chest. In my experience the look at the floor numbers moving up and down, or stare straight ahead.

Exactly.  It might also help if there was writing on the lanyard to say what it is for.  From the look of the photo, there isn't.  It just looks like a slightly glammed-up lanyard of the type that hundreds of people on any ship wear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Exactly.  It might also help if there was writing on the lanyard to say what it is for.  From the look of the photo, there isn't.  It just looks like a slightly glammed-up lanyard of the type that hundreds of people on any ship wear.

Top tip..I you see a big bloke with a rainbow lanyard ask him....nothing

🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

We are in no rush to get off. Nice leisurely breakfast, down to the baggage hall as late as we can, easy to spot the cases, car park getting empty. Home in an hour. Let All the self disembarked get off about 6.00am. They have busy things to do in their busy lives. Let us sloths have a little more space.

We don't all have 1 hour journeys.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

So you ignore the lanyards then?

I doubt I would recognise a hidden disabilities lanyard, and since a lot of people wear cruise lanyards, then recognition might be difficult.

Perhaps we need educating about them, and some publicity to help us recognise them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We don't all have 1 hour journeys.

Even then no rush to get back North. People rush off the plane just for them to get stuck on a bus, passport control or even baggage reclaim don't see the point. The ship will wait or you could be waiting longer for bags to turn up.

In October someone rushed off the plane just to wait on the bus and complained when the luggage was taking so long to appear. Someone even rushed off the bus to try and get through security quickly they ended up being near the back of the queue after.

Edited by carlanthony24

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

Even then no rush to get back North. People rush off the plane just for them to get stuck on a bus, passport control or even baggage reclaim don't see the point.

Perhaps P&O could offer...speedy disembarkation. A small fee ,obviously

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt I would recognise a hidden disabilities lanyard, and since a lot of people wear cruise lanyards, then recognition might be difficult.

Perhaps we need educating about them, and some publicity to help us recognise them.

I would not have any idea of any message this lanyard might be trying to portray. To be more successful it might say HIDDEN DISABILITY.  I would understand that.

Regards John

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We don't mind being amongst the last off.

Same. Its worst on a plane I find people just being impatient. I remember a flight I did landed into Birmingham, everyone got up thinking they could be off quick, turned out we had to wait for steps for a good 30 minutes or so they all sat back down and started to abuse my crew. 

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

Or re-utilise one of these, deck 375 to baggage hall in 3.5 seconds.

image.png.a049cf23bafac31e63c8a6f458888ffa.png

Looks a bit like my stomach xray. I like the RC ships. When we join in Barcelona, or Civitaveccia get on any time after 11.00am. Graham is Double Diamond, so first on the flowrider. Off at 10.00 in Southampton and Greggs for Lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not impatient to get off, just we find the ship awful on the last morning, there are people sitting in every possible place with loads of hand luggage,  plus wandering around trying to find your case in a baggage hall is awful, so if you have it with you, straight off, over the road, into the car and off.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm not impatient to get off, just we find the ship awful on the last morning, there are people sitting in every possible place with loads of hand luggage,  plus wandering around trying to find your case in a baggage hall is awful, so if you have it with you, straight off, over the road, into the car and off.

You have a long journey Jean.

• Like 1