Confession: I Preferred the Windjammer Over the MDR on Anthem and Other Firsts

teddie

My recent Anthem sailing (11/26/2023 - 7 Nights Caribbean/Coco Cay from Cape Liberty) was my 10th RCI cruise, and second on Anthem. but included many firsts:

• The first cruise without my husband--he couldn't get time off from his new job and I went with a good friend instead. It was fun and relaxing, but I still missed him!
  • Only went to one show:  the High C Horns tribute to funk and Stevie Wonder.
  • Played trivia for the first time!  (I aced the Beatles Name That Tune)
  • Had a massage--first time ever! It was very relaxing!
  • First time the internet was truly excellent
  • MDR losing its allure -- only had two dinners there. I just wasn't wowed by the choices or the experience.  Waiters were lovely though.
  • Did not attend the second Formal Night--unheard of for me.
  • First time breakfast in the Solarium Cafe--it had everything I needed for a good hot breakfast.
  • Had most dinners in the Windjammer--Found the experience to be positive for the following reasons: flow of people/layout of the food stations, variety of choices, food temperature, and service.  All very good.

NOT A FIRST: I overpacked.  Again!

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 9

We just boarded Anthem today and went to the Windjammer for dinner, it never disappoints. As much as I love Oasis I really have an issue with their Windjammer (less food options, flow is awful). 

We stopped eating in the MDR, not because of a bad experience but we just enjoy the flexibility of eating when we want.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

I agree with you 100% about the Windjammer on the Quantum class.  It is my favorite.  Glad you enjoy your cruise.

And I agree too. The WJ on Odessey is by far the best I've experienced.... for ambiance, set-up, and food.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ReRe71 said:

We just boarded Anthem today and went to the Windjammer for dinner, it never disappoints. As much as I love Oasis I really have an issue with their Windjammer (less food options, flow is awful). 

We stopped eating in the MDR, not because of a bad experience but we just enjoy the flexibility of eating when we want.

Same here.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Quantum class WJ is a jumbled maze with people going in all directions.  I've sailed 83 nights on Quantum class (Quantum and Anthem) and still do not like the layout and the [lack of] passenger flow.  However, I do like the aft outdoor seating area (omitted on Odyssey 😞 ).  

Disclaimer:  I've only eaten breakfast or lunch in the WJ, no dinner.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Apparently I'm the only one that thinks Quantum class WJ is a jumbled maze with people going in all directions.  I've sailed 83 nights on Quantum class (Quantum and Anthem) and still do not like the layout and the [lack of] passenger flow.  However, I do like the aft outdoor seating area (omitted on Odyssey 😞 ).  

I wonder if Odessey's WJ is a different design, besides no outdoor seating, than what you experienced on other Q class ships as I found it very functional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReRe71 said:

We have sailed Anthem many times and feel it has the best WJ.  The flow is much better than Oasis class ships and the quality of the food has always been great.  We love the coffee bar there too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I prefer the specialty restaurants over the mdr and the Windjammer. 

We are just not big enough eaters to splurge on the specialty restaurants. But we do like Izumi for sushi.  

teddie 

Hi,

We normally eat dinner at the WJ if we are really rushed like just back off a trip etc and have something planned.

I have been on the Anthem 3 times.

The first in 2019 on a 12 night Caribbean sailing from Bayonne and although we had MTD we gopt moved from one of the 2 MDRs on a random basis. One of the restaurants which I can't remember the name of but is pinkish and to the right as you arrive is the one where we had many issues with the food and service and the only time we ever had to complain.

The second time was in 2021 and was a UK only based cruise (originally booked as a Norway Fjords cruise but covid stopped that) and has a result we were able to get a JS for no extra cost as RCI reduced the prices so we switched and included was access to the Coastal Kitchen which due to mainly only UK passengers on board meant that it was mainly empty every night, so we ate there every night and this was one of the best restaurants we have been to, and is worth in my opinion paying a little extra for if a JS is not mega bucks! 

On our third and last (so far) cruise we did the TA in 2022 and returned to the MTD in the MDRs. We were expecting it to be bad like the first time, especially after covid and the start of cutbacks, but both MDRs were actually spot on and a great improvement from 2019.

I know food is subjective, but out of the 30 or so RCI cruises we have done the Anthem in 2019 was the only time we have had to complain.

Oh and yes, the Solarium Bistro, that is a hidden gem!, well worth a visit but so is that little place at the back of 270 where they do (or did) various soups, cobs and bags of crisps. These 2 free to eat restaurants are really perfect for little snacks.

As for the WJ, not had any issues with the one on the Anthem, but then again, not had issues with any on any ship so far. 

We would probably go to the WJ on a port day for breakfast so we can get off the ship as soon as possible, but have breakfast in the MDR on a sea day as we are not in any rush.

We also go to the WJ on port days for lunch after visiting wherever we have just been but go to the MDR on sea days.

Where possible we try to mix up and enjoy as many of the restaurants on board.

We no longer, however, bother with any of the specialty restaurants as we have done them all and now my wife has had surgery which has left her with medical conditions which limit what she can eat and the staff in the normal restaurants have always managed to help her find something off the menus (including the new ones) to eat.

All in all, the Anthem is still a fairly new ship and has been kept clean and tidy, but it just lacks the character to me that some of the older ships have. The Indy was my first ship and the one I have most travelled in and I am looking forward to it coming back to the UK in 2025 and I am not sad that the Anthem is going, but there is nothing wrong with it and the staff at Vintages (anyone remember Indy) have been some of the best and funniest on board any of the ships we have been on.

Mick.

• Like 1

Love the Anthem’s Windjammer.  Just got off the Liberty and it was HORRIBLE (and I am not a picky eater)  Different quality in food and the layout stunk.  The Anthem pulled up next to us in Nassau and I wished I could jump over and eat there. 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmsnyg said:

Love the Anthem’s Windjammer.  Just got off the Liberty and it was HORRIBLE (and I am not a picky eater)  Different quality in food and the layout stunk.  The Anthem pulled up next to us in Nassau and I wished I could jump over and eat there. 😆

You would think that food quality would be one thing that RCI would try to keep consistent throughout the fleet. However, it does seem to vary among the ships. One should be choosing which ship in the fleet to sail on for reasons other than the quality of the food.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

We normally eat dinner at the WJ if we are really rushed like just back off a trip etc and have something planned.

I have been on the Anthem 3 times.

The first in 2019 on a 12 night Caribbean sailing from Bayonne and although we had MTD we gopt moved from one of the 2 MDRs on a random basis. One of the restaurants which I can't remember the name of but is pinkish and to the right as you arrive is the one where we had many issues with the food and service and the only time we ever had to complain.

The second time was in 2021 and was a UK only based cruise (originally booked as a Norway Fjords cruise but covid stopped that) and has a result we were able to get a JS for no extra cost as RCI reduced the prices so we switched and included was access to the Coastal Kitchen which due to mainly only UK passengers on board meant that it was mainly empty every night, so we ate there every night and this was one of the best restaurants we have been to, and is worth in my opinion paying a little extra for if a JS is not mega bucks! 

On our third and last (so far) cruise we did the TA in 2022 and returned to the MTD in the MDRs. We were expecting it to be bad like the first time, especially after covid and the start of cutbacks, but both MDRs were actually spot on and a great improvement from 2019.

I know food is subjective, but out of the 30 or so RCI cruises we have done the Anthem in 2019 was the only time we have had to complain.

Oh and yes, the Solarium Bistro, that is a hidden gem!, well worth a visit but so is that little place at the back of 270 where they do (or did) various soups, cobs and bags of crisps. These 2 free to eat restaurants are really perfect for little snacks.

As for the WJ, not had any issues with the one on the Anthem, but then again, not had issues with any on any ship so far. 

We would probably go to the WJ on a port day for breakfast so we can get off the ship as soon as possible, but have breakfast in the MDR on a sea day as we are not in any rush.

We also go to the WJ on port days for lunch after visiting wherever we have just been but go to the MDR on sea days.

Where possible we try to mix up and enjoy as many of the restaurants on board.

We no longer, however, bother with any of the specialty restaurants as we have done them all and now my wife has had surgery which has left her with medical conditions which limit what she can eat and the staff in the normal restaurants have always managed to help her find something off the menus (including the new ones) to eat.

All in all, the Anthem is still a fairly new ship and has been kept clean and tidy, but it just lacks the character to me that some of the older ships have. The Indy was my first ship and the one I have most travelled in and I am looking forward to it coming back to the UK in 2025 and I am not sad that the Anthem is going, but there is nothing wrong with it and the staff at Vintages (anyone remember Indy) have been some of the best and funniest on board any of the ships we have been on.

Mick.

The place in the back is called Cafe 270 and it is a hidden gem..but unfortunately no bags of chips any longer 😕

We were considering taking advantage of the Specialty Dining sale for our April sailing (first RCCL cruise) and decided to wing it being the MDR menu seems to be to our liking, and if Boss Lady wants Filet Mignon, it's an upcharge if she'd like. We also agreed that if we do decide to hit a Specialty spot, just pay the price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mick B said:

Mick.

Thanks for your comments! I do miss the old "Deck 5" covered promenade around the entire ship, which for me adds to the character of any cruiseship. This class of ship is the largest I plan to sail.  Just enough bells and whistles to keep me satisfied.

Teddie

4 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

We were considering taking advantage of the Specialty Dining sale for our April sailing (first RCCL cruise) and decided to wing it being the MDR menu seems to be to our liking, and if Boss Lady wants Filet Mignon, it's an upcharge if she'd like. We also agreed that if we do decide to hit a Specialty spot, just pay the price.

Smart man 🙂

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You would think that food quality would be one thing that RCI would try to keep consistent throughout the fleet. However, it does seem to vary among the ships. One should be choosing which ship in the fleet to sail on for reasons other than the quality of the food.

The WJ was heavily staffed, and attention to detail was very much present. Apparently, the human factor still seems to play a role amongst the bean counters up above. 

Teddie

We never eat dinner in the Windjammer until August when we were on Ovation and we decided to try it one night when the MDR menu was less than desirable. We were hooked on the stir fry station!  We did go back to the MDR for the second formal night but service was terrible that night so we were done!  I thought the layout and the food was much better on Ovation than the Windjammer on Oasis class or Liberty.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I'm with you.  Quantum class WJ ranks just above the Oasis class (worst WJ).  Much prefer Voyager and Freedom class WJ.  We can make any of them work, but our last two cruises have been on the Anthem and Quantum and the WJ is chaos compared to the two aforementioned classes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teeter2U said:

We never eat dinner in the Windjammer until August when we were on Ovation and we decided to try it one night when the MDR menu was less than desirable. We were hooked on the stir fry station!  We did go back to the MDR for the second formal night but service was terrible that night so we were done!  I thought the layout and the food was much better on Ovation than the Windjammer on Oasis class or Liberty.

Part of the MDR experience that I dislike is the timing--I felt rushed, even thought the staff were very good.  I don't think about dessert before even taking a bite of anything.  It's lost its specialness,  overall.  Maybe it's the MTD? Is it the same for the regular seatings?

Teddie

As a solo traveler, I never eat in the MDR for my own personal reasons. So I always eat in the MDR, or other free areas. Although I eat at WJ on all ships I sail, I do think Quantum class is the best. I thought Wonder was also good.

I like being able to control my portions, and always find something I like. I am not a foodie, so I am perfectly happy with the simple things. Love that there is always Indian food.

• Like 2