Laundry & dry cleaning questions

Hobar

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

What is the turn-around time on laundry, i.e., same day, next day, two days?  

Same question for dry cleaning?  

Is there extra charge for same day service?

Other than heavy days (like embarkation when a lot of people can turn in laundry from their pre-cruise stays) it’s normally 24 hours.  Occasionally I have seen it arrive back that evening when I put it out in the morning but that is not common.  The ship will tell you 48 hours but I normally find it to be next day service.  

Dry cleaning is the same.  

You can order an Xpress service which is same day and there is indeed an extra charge for it.  I’ve never done it - never needed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

We are seeking information about experiences with sending men's suits to the laundry for clean and press.  DH is hesitant to send them out on the ship, so looking for opinions.  

Here, thanks to Roger @Crew News, is a recent Laundry List:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Laundry-Price-List.pdf

Prices range from $9 (two-piece men's suit) to $10.25 (three-piece suit), with Tuxedo in-between. Eco-drycleaning includes pressing. 

I do not have any first-hand experience, but Holland America is known (if not renowned) for their exemplary laundry service! I would have no qualms about using the service... if my DH ever agreed to wearing a coat and tie after retiring at the end of December 2019.

• Thanks 1

A friend once sent her husband's practically new jacket for dry cleaning. HAL put it through the washer instead, and it was ruined. 
I would want to make sure I heard some good reports from someone who has experienced the dry cleaning aspect of the laundry service before I sent a man's suit out. 

• Thanks 1

DD DH often needed his suit or tux dry cleaned onboard and I used it as well for one or two or more of my dressy outfits.  It was done very well - just like the  laundry.  I did send it out in a separate bag (just ask your steward) with separate instructions to cover my bases.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tradestock said:

We are seeking information about experiences with sending men's suits to the laundry for clean and press.  DH is hesitant to send them out on the ship, so looking for opinions.  

Have sent both a suite and various sports coats for dry cleaning if needed, or just pressing if wrinkled for packing., was always pleased with how they handled them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

and ask for extra forms.

Strangely on our last cruise, we ended up being off by 1, having 1 less form than bags. Every time we asked for just a form (to even us out), we got both a bag & a form, lol. So bags won!!

But, yes, do be sure to ask for an extra form.

6 minutes ago, Toad said:

This isa surprise, this means I could request cold water wash for some items?

Yes and you can split a load into cold and warm - all do not need to be the same. Same for hang dry and machine dry. HAL laundry is my happy topic 🤭😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Toad said:

This is a surprise, this means I could request cold water wash for some items?

Yes, although my intention is to use separate bags for different handling. But if you are using "by the bag" rate, you can circle the special care items.

ETA: "Hang dry" will take an extra day to get back to you, after it spends the alloted time in the circulating air room.

Edited by crystalspin