Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

To be perfectly clear on the issue of up-charges for wine, lux lines like Silversea and Regent do not include absolutely every wine in their fare. Some wines retail on land for $hundreds and $thousands per bottle. And, (no surprise), these are not included (never have been) by any lux line. But the brands mentioned in this thread are included, and I believe always will be.

Then there is the matter of comparing any cruise line with those horribly over-priced, super-lux land resorts. There is an entirely different demographic for them than for lux and near lux cruises. Those land resorts are patronized by billionaires, while those cruises are patronized by millionaires, near millionaires, and those who enjoy a strong income position. A billion is 1000X a million. So if X marketing is using the cost of these resorts as a model for its fares, it is badly missing its market demographic. In the automotive world, Mercedes and BMW do not set their prices based on what Bugatti asks for its cars (which last I looked was up to $3,000,000). As you might guess, we have never been to one of those land resorts, but we have lost count on our lux and near-lux cruises. And we have no Bugattis.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

Like many others we have begun straying from the Celebrity fold.   

I booked our first Oceania cruise (2025) and will probably be booking something with them before.    They have free wines, beers etc for all cabins regardless of class with meals but for other times you either pay al la carte or can upgrade for the Premium (anytime) for $30 pp/pd and both parties don't need to purchase.  

Our suite also comes with a choice of Liquors (6 bottles - 1 liter bottles of liquors ore wine - you can mix and match wine and liquor and wine taken to dining room no Corkage but supposedly you can't take Liquor outside your room.     You can bring unlimited beer and supposedly 6 bottles of wine at embarkation and aboard at all the ports.  Corkage is $25 for your own wine.

Now just a peek at one of the wine menus -   I can already hear the gasps when compared to Celebrity.   They have 5 specialty restaurants an all are free for all cabin classes (On Oceania all guests are treated the same).   The difference is by room classification the timing and number of pre-cruise reservations you can make. 

image.thumb.png.17db9baa6368e5167866be865182c39d.png.7764468d5b303ea63dcc9b9a2005f60d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

I'm very much looking forward to taking my carry on suitcase down to the Lounge to load up on water for the week when I board on Saturday (said with serious sarcasm).

FYI our Retreat Host ( we were in a SS) provided bottled water every day in November.

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

FYI our Retreat Host ( we were in a SS) provided bottled water every day in November.

That’s promising! Was it the big bottles of Evian or were they the plastic ones?

50 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

That’s promising! Was it the big bottles of Evian or were they the plastic ones?

We were B2BB on the Edge.  @jelayne and her husband overlapped with us on the first two legs. We were in a Sunset Sky Suite.  Our "retreat hosts" were different as we were on different decks.  Our "host" kept us well stocked with plastic and also some metal water bottles.  We also had no problems with obtaining ice twice daily.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

What is entertainment like on the higher end cruises , this is a big factor for me picking a cruise ? I really dislike the metal water bottles Celebrity has. 

If you're looking for entertainment, I'd highly recommend Crystal! The entertainment and enrichment (lectures, classes) on my November 2023 Crystal Serenity sailing was exceptional.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, George C said:

What is entertainment like on the higher end cruises , this is a big factor for me picking a cruise ? I really dislike the metal water bottles Celebrity has. 

Entertainment, like food, is very subjective. Age related too - one of my son in laws is 47yo and has never heard of Crosby, Stills, and Nash - so if you grew up in the 1980's, you may not relate to the old music.  

If you are looking for 'Vegas style" shows you will not find them on the smaller ships. They will have a variety of shows and many performers in small groups or solo, similar to what Celebrity has in various lounges in the afternoon and evenings. Trivia, cooking classes, educational/enrichment lectures are available on the smaller ships to a similar degree, if not more than the larger ships. I no longer attend the big shows on Celebrity because I have seen them so many times. I do enjoy the small scale shows like the singer guitar player at the sunset bar. All subjective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Same here, SS in Constellation last month and bottled water every day, ice daily (twice a day or on request if we needed), twice daily clean/turn down, chocolates, extra pillows and towels, and her asking us every day was there something she could do for us. Sharon from Philippines. 

• Like 1

The term I would use to describe entertainment on smaller lux ships would be small scale but good. In other words, you won’t see big production shows. But you won’t be subject to lines and crowds entering the theater or seat scarcity therein. You won’t be subject to those corny shows where the crew or/and the passengers put it on. You will have a decent opportunity to order a drink or two in the theater. We’ve given up on attending shows in the theater on ships over 2000 pax, because of these and other problems, unless we have some sort of VIP status. Lux ships have around 750 guests or less, and all have VIP. Status. So the shows are smaller scale, but hassle free.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George C said:

On the Ascent in November ,they went back to plastic.

They said people were cutting their hands on the metal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

Entertainment, like food, is very subjective. Age related too - one of my son in laws is 47yo and has never heard of Crosby, Stills, and Nash - so if you grew up in the 1980's, you may not relate to the old music.  

If you are looking for 'Vegas style" shows you will not find them on the smaller ships. They will have a variety of shows and many performers in small groups or solo, similar to what Celebrity has in various lounges in the afternoon and evenings. Trivia, cooking classes, educational/enrichment lectures are available on the smaller ships to a similar degree, if not more than the larger ships. I no longer attend the big shows on Celebrity because I have seen them so many times. I do enjoy the small scale shows like the singer guitar player at the sunset bar. All subjective.

I do enjoy the solo or duets that celebrity has on Edge class in the afternoon , but I thought most of there main shows were really good also , I thought E class was way better then M or S class. We do a 70’s music cruise every year , before seeing Todd Rundgren, I couldn’t name a song he sang , now he is one of my favorites. I grew up in 60’s listening to Dylan and the Beatles, but because of my parents, loved Sinatra and saw him 6 or more times . Not sure if I am interested in educational or enrichment, do like the interviews with the 70’s music stars like Michael McDonald etc .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billc23 said:

I think you will love Silversea! The pre-cruise hotels they use are really nice and the transport to the ship is easy/effortless. Every cabin gets in room liquor and champaign. We would get a bottle of champaign daily! The included shore excursions are better than Celebrities paid ones. Longer time in ports and the smaller ships can get closer to where you want to be for site seeing. Great variety of restaurants. Your basic Verandah suite has a great layout - much nicer than a SS on X. No need to skip the lines because there are noon to speak of. Many expedition cruises similar to Celebrity's Galapagos sailing but all around the world. Oh, often less expensive than a SS on Celebrity for a similar sailing without taking into account the included excursions, liquor, etc.

Compare a Silversea Iceland sailing to one on Celebrity - just Wow! What a difference experience. 

If you need a ship selling used handbags and gold chains by the inch, having art auctions, and a hierarchal system where everyone has special perks, then it may well be better to stick to Celebrity.

Compare a Silversea Iceland sailing to one on Celebrity... just wow, what a difference experience.

Thank you for posting this.

I am unfamiliar with Silversea and was reading some posts about the dress code.

Somewhat controversial as different restaurants have different requirements daily.

I do like the Celebrity new approach with 2 nights "Evening Chic" where I where a sportcoat and open collar shirt.

I don't mean to go off topic but it made me pause about booking there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

Same here, SS in Constellation last month and bottled water every day, ice daily (twice a day or on request if we needed), twice daily clean/turn down, chocolates, extra pillows and towels, and her asking us every day was there something she could do for us. Sharon from Philippines. 

So, the exact same service one would expect from a stateroom attendant in any AQ cabin. 

• Like 1

jmdlv1. I’m with you on Silversea. We’ve cruised with it twice some time ago and the dress-up stuff was the only put off. Although their dress code is more relaxed now, it is still dressier than Regent’s. Regent’s is really no dressier than Celebrity’s, except jeans are not allowed after 6:00 PM. But slacks, a shirt, and shoes will always do. There are “formal optional” nights, but they are really optional. I may take a sport coat, depending on itinerary, but no darned tie.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

jmdlv1. I’m with you on Silversea. We’ve cruised with it twice some time ago and the dress-up stuff was the only put off. Although their dress code is more relaxed now, it is still dressier than Regent’s. Regent’s is really no dressier than Celebrity’s, except jeans are not allowed after 6:00 PM. But slacks, a shirt, and shoes will always do. There are “formal optional” nights, but they are really optional. I may take a sport coat, depending on itinerary, but no darned tie.

I haven’t worn a tie in about 5 years and don’t intend to wear one in the future, dockers or dress pants and a shirt with a collar is what I wear now and I prefer not taking a sports jacket. For over 30 years had a tuxedo for formal nights but those days are passed 😁😁

Just had a phone call from the executive office. It was a second call back as I wrote in early Dec when the changes started taking place. 
Yesterday I wrote to voice my displeasure with this whole wine debacle again. Especially how Suite guests including upper level suites were being charged the upcharges in both Luminae and the Retreat Lounge/Michaels Club. 
This is exactly what I was told….

”We have been listening to all the feedback and changes will be made by the end of the month”

I questioned her as to what type of changes they might possibly make and she said it hasn’t been decided yet. 
Take it for what’s it’s worth, I think as someone said earlier they will throw a couple of more choices in the PBP and think that will make everyone happy, but still charge $19 and above for what seems to be passengers favorites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

Thank you for posting this.

I am unfamiliar with Silversea and was reading some posts about the dress code.

Somewhat controversial as different restaurants have different requirements daily.

I do like the Celebrity new approach with 2 nights "Evening Chic" where I where a sportcoat and open collar shirt.

I don't mean to go off topic but it made me pause about booking there. 

I was put off by the dress code too. When working, I never had to wear a button up shirt let alone a sport coat! On Silversea I took a sport coat, a few ties, and a few pair of dress pants. Worked fine. There are restaurants that are never dress up. I did wear my sport coat around the ship most evenings with an open collar shirt. I thought I would hate it but it really was no big deal.  And the dress code is changing. The newer ships are more relaxed, like Celebrity, and this probably will become the norm on all the ships. For now I think Regent would be a better choice if putting on a Jacket and tie are an issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Just had a phone call from the executive office. It was a second call back as I wrote in early Dec when the changes started taking place. 
Yesterday I wrote to voice my displeasure with this whole wine debacle again. Especially how Suite guests including upper level suites were being charged the upcharges in both Luminae and the Retreat Lounge/Michaels Club. 
This is exactly what I was told….

”We have been listening to all the feedback and changes will be made by the end of the month”

I questioned her as to what type of changes they might possibly make and she said it hasn’t been decided yet. 
Take it for what’s it’s worth, I think as someone said earlier they will throw a couple of more choices in the PBP and think that will make everyone happy, but still charge $19 and above for what seems to be passengers favorites. 

Maybe they will throw some NR OBC to the suite guests who complain...

3 hours ago, George C said:

From what I read is the entertainment may be  low key with none of the acrobatics.   Of course the cast is also 1/3 the size of that on Celebrity.    Personally I find Celebrity's a disappointment and haven't been to a show in about 10 years.   

Some of the other lines Ponant and Oceania is a totally different concept.    They have no containers at all.   You get a nice drink bottle on each cruise to refill if you choose.    They have dispensers for both still and sparkling.    They self fill and cap bottles of each for your room with dates on them and swap them out every day or two.   I found it really nice and never had to call for additional.

54 minutes ago, George C said:

I do enjoy the solo or duets that celebrity has on Edge class in the afternoon , but I thought most of there main shows were really good also , I thought E class was way better then M or S class. We do a 70’s music cruise every year , before seeing Todd Rundgren, I couldn’t name a song he sang , now he is one of my favorites. I grew up in 60’s listening to Dylan and the Beatles, but because of my parents, loved Sinatra and saw him 6 or more times . Not sure if I am interested in educational or enrichment, do like the interviews with the 70’s music stars like Michael McDonald etc .

I agree - love the 60 rock music and older jazz too. But with well over 100 days on Celebrity since the restart, and 60+ more planned over the next 4 months, the big production shows are all pretty similar. At least the small musical groups around the ship tend to change and showcase talent over effects. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Maybe they will throw some NR OBC to the suite guests who complain...

Don't hold your breath.  

How much OBC will they throw our way to offset the removal of Gratuities and $800 OBC.    If you calculate every suite passenger loosing approx 1,300-1,500 it really goes to their bottom line .    Like many others Celebrity has lost their value proposition and made other cruise lines much more attractive.  

I just booked my 3rd non-Celebrity cruise since the beginning of the year and it's on January 10th.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, billc23 said:

I called today regarding a B4B, all in a PH on the Solstice, beginning March 15th, 2024. The concierge told me that there would be charges of a few dollars for the wines that have gone up in price. She told me that for the sailing that originates in Australia the PDP would cover up to $20 per drink. I didn't ask her if the drink prices were higher on that sailing. I let her know that I am having difficultly understanding how management could put in place small uncharges (that are financially trivial to Celebrity and their passengers) that are very upsetting to their highest paying customers. She said she would send a message to corporate express my feelings. 

I also have a sailing on the Ascent this month - PH and RS with the grandkids. I'll see how that goes.

The limit is also raised to $20 for any departures out of the UK.

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Don't hold your breath.  

How much OBC will they throw our way to offset the removal of Gratuities and $800 OBC.    If you calculate every suite passenger loosing approx 1,300-1,500 it really goes to their bottom line .    Like many others Celebrity has lost their value proposition and made other cruise lines much more attractive.  

I just booked my 3rd non-Celebrity cruise since the beginning of the year and it's on January 10th.

I won't, I have to stay alive to be able to chat with you on the Solstice sailings! The issue you mention is the big one and benefits Celebrity greatly. I am referring to the $2 annoying uncharges. The $2 actually bothers me more because if I agree on a price, with or without the OBC/gratuities going forward, that is what I agreed to - fine as long as I receive the experience expected. 

• Like 2