Cabin location, foreword or aft?

kahuna21

1 hour ago, kahuna21 said:

You experienced Viking cruisers: do you prefer to be located near the forward elevators (2) or the aft elevators (4)? Why? Thanks for the wisdom!

The aft lifts are really midships.  If you will go to Nordic Spa, fwd lifts are very convenient.  We prefer the aft or midships cabin locations, for seaworthy reasons.

1 hour ago, kahuna21 said:

You experienced Viking cruisers: do you prefer to be located near the forward elevators (2) or the aft elevators (4)? Why? Thanks for the wisdom!

Neither of those options work for us. DW prefere midships on a lower deck, since they have the least movement. The aft lifts weren't that far from our cabin.

With respect to Fwd cabins, spent too many years in cabins by the Bridge, so booking m'ships, I don't miss the noise and pounding. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

There are two forward elevators and 4 midship elevators. The forward shafts are more convenient to get to the Star Theater where, besides lectures and entertainment, all your tours start from there. Midship elevators with the glass widows have gnomes hiding in the forest, so it’s a toss up.

As far as cabins, we prefer the aft DV1s where the wake is mesmerizing. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

We've only cruised once, but we were deck 6, toward the front, and really liked it.  It was close to the forward elevators and easy to get to lots of things like the lounge, the theater, and the laundry.  But, we have nothing to compare it to.  We'd booked the same room for another cruise, but then changed it it was already taken, so we'll be on the other side of the ship (still deck 6 forward).  Biggest difference, we think, is what is immediately above the room (lounge versus another cabin). 

• Like 1

We only book deck 3 mid-ship on Viking Ocean.

We were forward once and had to ask to be moved because the seas were rough and the crashing and motion was bothersome.

We are happiest mid-ship and proximity to the elevators does not matter to us.  We have never found Viking ships noisy from the elevator lobby.  We will walk to the forward elevators to go to spa which we wear our robes, and if we are behind the atrium, then you must walk through the open atrium seating area in your robe... but that is ok.  During the afternoon when we generally use the Spa, there are not that many people there.

• Like 1

We prefer the forward part of the ship and have stayed on deck 6 three times (always in 6010), now about to depart for our 4th cruise.  We love being one floor below the explorers lounge and an elevator ride to the theatre, spa and fitness centers.  So far, the motion has not disturbed us and we spent 39 days on one cruise from Vancouver to Alaska, Russia, Japan and Hong Kong.  We are about to leave from Santiago around Cape Horn to Buenos Aires - perhaps we will hit some rough seas that will test our fortitude lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WestW said:

We are about to leave from Santiago around Cape Horn to Buenos Aires - perhaps we will hit some rough seas that will test our fortitude lol

... which is the very reason that for that particular voyage which we too are on we chose a DV6 on deck 3 as close to midships as we could. It did our wallets no harm that the lowest cost DV's happen to include some of the cabins least susceptible to wave motion!!! 

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We will walk to the forward elevators to go to spa which we wear our robes, and if we are behind the atrium, then you must walk through the open atrium seating area in your robe... but that is ok. 

There are robes available in the spa lockers, No need to walk through the ship half dressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobEsson said:

... which is the very reason that for that particular voyage which we too are on we chose a DV6 on deck 3 as close to midships as we could. It did our wallets no harm that the lowest cost DV's happen to include some of the cabins least susceptible to wave motion!!! 

I'm with Rob.  DV6 above the MDR, just aft of The Atrium, any cabin 3060 to 3073. They are quiet and not a lot of traffic in the corridors.  I've done DV4 a couple of times and decided to go back to DV6. I just like it better -- and the few pennies savings doesn't hurt either. 

The only downside of the location is that the corridors leading out of the Atrium fore and aft must ramp up to the level of the cabins.  Ceiling height in cabins is lower than the ceiling height of the Atrium.  The ramps may be a challenge for those using walking aids or pushing wheelchairs. Cabins foreward of the Atrium can avoid the ramp using the forward elevators.  Cabins aft of the Atrium cannot avoid the ramp (and this includes the two Explorer Suites).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Having just completed a TA Barcelona to Buenos Aires our preference is decks 4 or 5 and more midships to forward. There was a noticeable vibration towards the aft of the ship. We had calm seas but our choice f cabin would work in all conditions.

All of the above posts make sense, but my feeling is….as long as I am on the ship, my cabin is fine….better than being left behind to face normal life instead of being pampered, meeting new people, seeing new sights, etc. Sounds kind of “Pollyannish(?), but that is how I feel.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Frisky070802 said:

We've only cruised once, but we were deck 6, toward the front, and really liked it.  It was close to the forward elevators and easy to get to lots of things like the lounge, the theater, and the laundry.  But, we have nothing to compare it to. 

This is us except we were recent first timers on Deck 5 forward. We booked our 2nd cruise onboard, basically the same room we had on Deck 5 forward but on the port side this time instead of starboard. We liked the easy access to the theatre, spa, fitness etc. Although coming from Princess everything seemed to be within easy access!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

everything seemed to be within easy access!

I agree! Saying that cabin x has easy access to facility y seems extraordinary to me unless you have mobility issues - I could be wrong in exact timing but I can't remember it taking more than a couple of minutes to walk the length of the ship, and ok, you might have to go up or down the stairs (or even go wild and use an elevator/lift) but everything is within say 4 minutes surely at a reasonable pace ... so while on our first Viking we had the DV1 3096 looking over the stern - and I agree that being able to see that was fantastic - we were in the Meditteranean. Our trip in 2 days spends some time in the Southern Ocean which is notorious for BIG rollers, hence our choice of a cabin towards midships but on the same deck, being the lowest. Even with stabilizers, there could be some fair rock'n'roll, so we'd prefer keeping it to a minimum - but as always YMMV!

8 hours ago, RobEsson said:

I agree! Saying that cabin x has easy access to facility y seems extraordinary to me unless you have mobility issues - I could be wrong in exact timing but I can't remember it taking more than a couple of minutes to walk the length of the ship, and ok, you might have to go up or down the stairs (or even go wild and use an elevator/lift) but everything is within say 4 minutes surely at a reasonable pace ... so while on our first Viking we had the DV1 3096 looking over the stern - and I agree that being able to see that was fantastic - we were in the Meditteranean. Our trip in 2 days spends some time in the Southern Ocean which is notorious for BIG rollers, hence our choice of a cabin towards midships but on the same deck, being the lowest. Even with stabilizers, there could be some fair rock'n'roll, so we'd prefer keeping it to a minimum - but as always YMMV!

You are correct, especially on a Viking ship, wherever your cabin is, you are not far from anything unless you have mobility concerns.  We do prefer deck 3 and mid-ship overall.

• Like 1