My days of racing to be “first” on the ship or over

chiguypaul

2 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We were in Barcelona coming back to Miami in November.  We always leave early and was thankful we did.  They were having a marathon and what should have taken us 15 minutes, took us 1-1/2 hours to get to the port.  I am so glad that we always leave early.

Happened to us in Miami a few years ago.  Didn’t get to the ship until well after noon.  I checked the date of the marathon for the next year before I booked our next cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

We had trouble getting to the Miami terminal on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Our Lyft driver was very confused and there was something going on with traffic at the terminal.  We left in plenty of time but ended up boarding later than we wanted. 

Even with that, we didn’t have any trouble making reservations for our small dining package. 

We left on Indy that day. POM was insane! We boarded around 1:30, at least 40 minutes later than I thought we would. 

I 100% agree with OP.

For my first cruise back after Covid on Freedom, I had purchased the Key and was a solo traveler. I was the second person onboard that day and while it was a neat experience I'd much rather take the later boarding time to not have to deal with the traffic, crowds, lines, etc. and be able to walk straight onboard. The lower stress of the later boarding time is really a great way to start the trip off.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It’s interesting that some of the people who want to be first on are the ones who want be first off. To us, boarding around 1pm is easy, and departing at 9am gives us a little more sleeping time. 

Personally with the announcements, I don't sleep past 7am.  We prefer leaving later but are also the ones who book mid morning flights.  If we have a 12n and after, we take our time.  Of course it all depends on the port...

I like to board early but one year I was the last to board. Very weird feeling. A myriad of problems caused me to arrive 3 minutes before being refused. The terminal was like a ghost town. No customers and most staff had left. I got the vip treatment and was taken care of by what felt all the remaining staff to get me boarded. I felt like a vip! But I admit I was nice to go straight to my cabin.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DerekLF said:

I always try to get an early time not to be on the ship first, but because because I’m a worry-wort and it gives me more wiggle room if there is traffic, a flat tire or something on the way to the port. 

Even if I’m just sitting in the terminal waiting to board, the stress is over and vacation starts. 

Yep, that’s me exactly! I would much rather wait in the terminal knowing I’m there already than be waiting at home. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We like to arrive to get a good parking spot…..especially at Terminal 1.

Agree, but you have to walk a fine line:  Arrive too early, and the departing cruisers' cars are still in the parking deck ... arrive too late, and the boarding cruisers have already taken up the good spots.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

Agree, but you have to walk a fine line:  Arrive too early, and the departing cruisers' cars are still in the parking deck ... arrive too late, and the boarding cruisers have already taken up the good spots.  

Very true!!!  You have to time it correctly, but after sailing from PC more than 30 times we are getting better at it….😂😂

I agree with the OP that sometimes the hassle of getting on board early can be a pain. Especially the wait for the cabin. We try for early arrival times just to get a good parking spot and get on board for UDP reservations.  We'll typically head for a specialty restaurant that's open for lunch and maybe do Next Cruise.  We avoid the Windjammer if at all possible. But waiting until 2 P for the cabins to open can be a bit onerous if we want to do something else.

43 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Very true!!!  You have to time it correctly, but after sailing from PC more than 30 times we are getting better at it….😂😂

Arriving in PC between 10 and  10:30 seems best

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The earliest boarding time is 10:30, which is hardly the crack of dawn -- what's the other option?  Hanging around the hotel?  I definitely like boarding early and starting my vacation earlier rather than later.  

Left kids and grands on the 22nd ending a Virgin Voyage. Got an uber. Arrived at Ft Lauderdale early for a 4 night Liberty Christmas cruise. 10:15 into security and into comfy seats inside. 1/2 time for rest rooms, etc then onto ship. Earliest ever for us. 

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Personally with the announcements, I don't sleep past 7am.  We prefer leaving later but are also the ones who book mid morning flights.  If we have a 12n and after, we take our time.  Of course it all depends on the port...

People are off the ship by then.  Getting up at 7am is fine- we are clear of the room in time and can leave by 9am.  Why leave before 7am?  

Most hotels require you to be put by 1100.  We aren’t late sleepers and there’s rarely anything we want to do in the morning before a cruise.  Once I’m up and ready I’m anxious to just get there.

We have a 1230 check in for our next cruise but lunch is reserved at 1215 in Chops so hoping we can get on board by earlier. TBD.  

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 7:59 PM, KBS1607 said:

We had trouble getting to the Miami terminal on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Our Lyft driver was very confused and there was something going on with traffic at the terminal.  We left in plenty of time but ended up boarding later than we wanted. 

Even with that, we didn’t have any trouble making reservations for our small dining package. 

On a related note- we also had Uber/lyft driver confusion in Miami this month!  The one taken us there kept taking wrong turns at the port area, and I finally had to guide him in (using signs, since I haven’t been there in ages).  At departure, we waited an hour for our guy, and he finally called saying he couldn’t figure out how to find our terminal (I had watched him on the app for over 30 minutes, circling around, like a mile from us), so we finally just took a shuttle to the airport.

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I'm confused.  Where did I say people leave before 7? 

You didn't- I'm just pointing out that people leave the ship before 7am, when we wake up.  Crazy to me.  You see that in some of the "live" threads, and they got on the ship at 11am.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:23 PM, GetToLivin said:

I'm with you on this one. Unless we have a suite with access to CK/Suite Lounge, I have no desire to arrive earlier than when cabins become available. Any earlier and everyone is just sitting around waiting for rooms to open, so every venue is full, Windjammer is an absolute pile of insanity, and I just don't see the draw. I get being excited but dealing with an influx of crowds isn't the right way for me to start out my vacation.

So agree. As I approach 70, I have grown to detest lines for this type of thing. My sister and I like a relaxed start to a vacation; it sets the mood. Next month we sail for a B2B from Galveston, and plan to wait until 12:30-1:00, to board. 

Everyone has their own preference and that is one of the many great things about cruising is that this sort of vacation can accommodate just that.  I'm not as much concerned with being 'first' or even one of the first onboard, but we try and squeeze as much vacation as we can into every sailing.  The earlier we get onboard the earlier we can get a drink in our hand and find a spot to begin our vacation.  Drawing a parallel as soon as rooms are announced as ready there seems to be a mad dash to the room.  I completely understand that and in no way am I judging it, but usually when rooms are ready we are doing something, somewhere onboard and don't leave to go to our room usually for hours after they are ready.  

14 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Most hotels require you to be put by 1100.  We aren’t late sleepers and there’s rarely anything we want to do in the morning before a cruise.  Once I’m up and ready I’m anxious to just get there.

We have a 1230 check in for our next cruise but lunch is reserved at 1215 in Chops so hoping we can get on board by earlier. TBD.  

We've been able to consistently ask for late check outs, so noon check outs.  Some even allow for 1pm- but we've never gone that late.

Totally get not having things to do, though.  And I'm sure that those who have to pay for breakfast would prefer to get an early free lunch on board. 

17 hours ago, Old lady cruiser said:

We like to board early now.  Prior to having to race to get reservations to see any shows, boarding late was great.  We did late last time and missed so much of the entertainment.  

We've been able to reserve all shows on the Allure and Harmony on the app after 1pm on boarding day.  

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On a related note- we also had Uber/lyft driver confusion in Miami this month!  The one taken us there kept taking wrong turns at the port area, and I finally had to guide him in (using signs, since I haven’t been there in ages).  At departure, we waited an hour for our guy, and he finally called saying he couldn’t figure out how to find our terminal (I had watched him on the app for over 30 minutes, circling around, like a mile from us), so we finally just took a shuttle to the airport.

My daughter had to direct him and even then, he drove over a median!