Embarkation Buenos Aires Luggage

Oldnatsfan

We are leaving on Jan. 6, 2024 on the Celebrity Eclipse for a voyage from Buenos Aires to Antartica. Can anyone explain the boarding process? Once we leave the terminal, I realize that we take our bags to a shuttle bus that then takes us to the ship. How do our bags get to our rooms? Are we responsible for taking them from the shuttle bus up the gangplank all the way to our room?

We have boarded Celebrity ships in Buenos Aires twice.  Both times suitcases were delivered to the cruise terminal porters.  If you don't have Celebrity luggage tags on the bags the porters will have bags and tag them with your stateroom number.  Your suitcases will be delivered to your stateroom.  Once handed to the porters they will take care of them.  You will not be responsible to hauling them onto the ship.

Keep your passport, medicines, cruise documents  and so forth in your carry-on bag.  Buenos Aires is an industrial port so shuttles are used to transport passengers through the stacks of cargo containers to the cruise ship.  You will only have your carry-on bags with you.  Your suitcases are handled by the porters.  

My experience in BA is as many others have reported.   On embarkation you drop them with a porter like all other cruises and then take a shuttle to the ship.   Your bags are delivered to your door.

I did an early disembarkation in BA.   For that situation our butler brought our bags to the shuttle bus when we left in the afternoon and loaded them on to the shuttle for us.   We were the only passengers so not a problem.    At the terminal we just walked out past immigration and grabbed an Uber.

1 hour ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Needing to clarify

Will you be required to leave your smaller roll on luggage and just take your carry on bag or back pack on the bus only? We plan to have 1 large piece of luggage and 2 roll on. 

Thanks. 

You can do whichever you want I think.  If you want to check your roll ons, you can, or you can take them.  

Really the only difference between BA and other ports is that you have to take a shuttle to the ship once you're checked in.  

Agree with what has been discussed as that was how we boarded in 2020.

Keep in mind though that since the check in terminal was damaged, supposedly now you will do your paperwork in a different location then be bussed from a farther distance to embark.

Not clear on where the luggage drop will be currently.

We sail on January 20th, interested to hear about the temporary procedure from anyone traveling sooner.

Since the terminal roof was damaged in the hurricane a week or so ago, we need to go to a different port to drop off luggage.  They say they will bus us to the ship.  Nothing from Celebrity yet on this,       I posted a question under the South America section asking if any one has experienced it but no reply’s yet.  I always take my carry on with me.  i have too many valuable things in it and you never know how long it will take for them to deliver your luggage to your cabin.

• Thanks 1

Same here on some carry on.  We’re doing B2B and decided to chance flying on the 19th arriving on the 20th.  Figured as long as we had our 2 Roll ons and backpack. We could pack the beach stuff and minimum dress cloths and we wouldn’t worry if the 1 large piece of luggage didnt make it on till the Rio on 27th port.  

Just didnt want to spend the nigh in Buenos Aires 

1 hour ago, Oldnatsfan said:

Since we board on the 6th, I will be happy to let you know of our experiences.

Have a great cruise and hope it's a low tide time when you board. We had an overnight on the ship and when we came back from a Tango Show just after midnight the ramp was even steeper than the pic (it took 3 crew members to get just one wheelchair up), it was pouring with rain and there was no cover. Not exactly the way we had intended our Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration to end.

6 hours ago, Oldnatsfan said:

Penguins, this picture was so helpful. It changed the way my wife and I packed. We are in our late 70's and carrying as little in our carry-ons is now a priority.

Oldnatsfans

The only things in our carry-on - for embarkation we have one small 4 wheeled bag -  are:

1) all trip documents except passports which we carry securely. 

2) all medications

3) all electrical devices, cameras, cables, chargers.

4) rain coats.

5) packet of biscuits /cookies.

On 12/29/2023 at 6:00 PM, tomcruiser1234 said:

Same here on some carry on.  We’re doing B2B and decided to chance flying on the 19th arriving on the 20th.  Figured as long as we had our 2 Roll ons and backpack. We could pack the beach stuff and minimum dress cloths and we wouldn’t worry if the 1 large piece of luggage didnt make it on till the Rio on 27th port.  

Just didnt want to spend the nigh in Buenos Aires 

Shame to miss out on Buenos Aires  - great city to explore and a Tango Show before sailing is a fantastic way to start your cruise.

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Shame to miss out on Buenos Aires  - great city to explore and a Tango Show before sailing is a fantastic way to start your cruise.

Agree. I wish we could have stayed and did the Falls.  Problem is, I will be having a knee replaced early February so gonna need to keep the walking tours to a minimum. We had to cancel our first leg of 13 day cruise from Chile since it was too soon to finish Therapy. I know crazy doing the B2B from Buenos to Liberty only after 8 weeks but there is just not ever a good time to make these things fit in. I say just get it done and enjoy life.