Seeking Opinions - Would You Wear This Hat??

Loves_Dogs

My son is getting married in a Catholic church with reception following in January (Ohio). Would this hat be appropriate to wear with my navy blue dress? I had another hat but have ruled it out as I was told that it 'looks like something you would wear grocery shopping'. Sigh...I am trying to wear a hat that is not a 'fascinator' style. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

EDIT: This is stock photo, not me.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 190134.png

Edited by Loves_Dogs
Info

• I think it's perfect for your described event.  My only reservation would be the incredible numbers of shades of navy blue ... you'd want to be sure the hat color complements the dress color.  What color is your coat?

Here is my dress, it has a bit of sparkle to it. 
My coat is plain black cloth. My plan was to remove my coat once inside but wear the hat throughout the ceremony and reception. Is this not a good idea? 
The Mother of the groom is wearing a fascinator type hat. I couldn't find one that I liked or could figure out how to keep it on comfortably so I 'googled' variations of church hats and this one came up. I wasn't sure if it was a good option to wear throughout the ceremony/reception without my coat which is why I am asking for help. If I can't decide, will probably just skip the hat.

dressScreenshot2023-10-01171149.png.841e4aa7ec21fade4b14bca6a18360f6.png

• Like 1

The hat is beautiful, as is the dress. My only concern would be is the hat more of a “cold weather” hat or a dressy hat?  It’s hard to tell from the picture. 

I think I would wear the hat, but I would add a small rhinestone broach or a sparkly hat pin. Whatever you choose, you will look lovely!

k🛳

• Like 4

The dress is gorgeous & should shine by itself. I love the hat also but not with this dress. You do not need to wear a hat (even in a Catholic service) any longer. Don’t mess up your likely freshly coiffed hair before pictures 

• Like 6

The dress is beautiful! The hat looks like outdoors wear and not something to be worn inside, especially for a special occasion such as this. Maybe skip a hat since you don’t usually wear one and instead pick a fabulous pair of earrings 

• Like 1

I love the hat, I love the dress, but I don't love them together. The hat looks too heavy for the dress. Depending on your hairstyle, of course, could you maybe opt for a headband? (If you feel you must have something on your head)

https://www.amazon.com/Casualfashion-Sparkle-Rhinestone-Headbands-Hair/dp/B06WVNKVNN/ref=sr_1_6?crid=CYZGC6YPUA36&keywords=navy%2Bheadband%2Bwomen&qid=1703801972&sprefix=navy%2Bhedband%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-6&th=1

The dress is pretty but the hat is too much. It does not go with a dressy dress. I agree with others that something simple is the way to go. How about a fancy barrette that a hairdresser can attach for you? Wearing a hat for hours would probably get uncomfortable.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Loves_Dogs said:

My coat is plain black cloth. My plan was to remove my coat once inside but wear the hat throughout the ceremony and reception. Is this not a good idea? 
The Mother of the groom is wearing a fascinator type hat. I couldn't find one that I liked or could figure out how to keep it on comfortably so I 'googled' variations of church hats and this one came up. I wasn't sure if it was a good option to wear throughout the ceremony/reception without my coat which is why I am asking for help. If I can't decide, will probably just skip the hat.

dressScreenshot2023-10-01171149.png.841e4aa7ec21fade4b14bca6a18360f6.png

Now that I see the dress, I think the hat - while terrific on its own - is too casual for the dress.  Is a hat a "must have"?  If not, I think the dress will be lovely without one.

1 hour ago, Loves_Dogs said:

A huge THANK YOU to all for your help. I had my doubts - thanks to everyone's input the hat order has been cancelled. Going 'hat free' to the wedding. I knew I would get help here...appreciate you all!

I'm giggling ... a perfect accent for this dress would be a 'fascinator-type'.  The thing you specifically don't want!  Not one that clips on the side of your head with weird stuff shooting off in all directions, but something feminine and understated.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, Loves_Dogs said:

My son is getting married in a Catholic church with reception following in January (Ohio).

What is your motivation for searching for a hat?  Is it expected in a Catholic church?  Sounds like you're questioning exactly HOW to wear a hat in a dressy situation ... a good excuse to watch Downton Abby!  

On 12/28/2023 at 5:34 AM, Loves_Dogs said:

The dress is nice, and everyone looks good in navy -- but I'm confused on a practical level, and (like several others) I like the hat AND the dress, but I'm not sure they're friends: 

- The dress is very much a warm-weather choice.  Bare arms = cold in Ohio in January.  And that hemline puts emphasis on the shoes, so you really need to wear something similar to what the model's wearing:  a solid winter shoe is going to look clunky.  

- If the hat is the driving force, I'd consider a heavier dress ... something that'll balance with /be more proportional to this heavier hat.  A light wool would work well.  

- You mention your outer coat, but I think you'll also need an inside sweater or wrap of some sort. 

- You say you're going to wear the hat during the ceremony AND reception.  Will this be comfortable, or will it make your head hot?  That's easy to "practice" by wearing it around the house ahead of time.  And are you going to be comfortable wearing the hat for photographs?  If not, where will you do a hair touch-up?  

On 12/28/2023 at 7:43 AM, GrammieK said:

I think I would wear the hat, but I would add a small rhinestone broach or a sparkly hat pin.

Oh, what a good idea!  

On 12/29/2023 at 9:43 AM, Loves_Dogs said:

A huge THANK YOU to all for your help. I had my doubts - thanks to everyone's input the hat order has been cancelled. Going 'hat free' to the wedding. I knew I would get help here...appreciate you all!

Agree that the hat doesn’t work with the dress - even with a brooch or sparkly pin. Fabric, style, weight mismatch. 

I know you said that you don’t want to wear a fascinator but how about a barrette with a feather or something sparkly, or even a sparkly barrette or clip? That’s only if you decide you do need to wear something in your hair. 

Edited by mrgabriel