Always Travel with a Passport on Your Cruise--Even if You Don't Need One

nelblu

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

They all get home if the cruise is aborted. The CBP sends a general waiver letter.

Likely true if the whole cruise is aborted because of ship’s breakdown;  but if the individual has to abort his cruise and fly home due to an emergency (which does happen) not at all likely.  And not going to happen in if the individual missed his ship (which also does happen).

Of course he will ultimately get home - but possibly after many expensive days waiting.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Likely true if the whole cruise is aborted because of ship’s breakdown;  but if the individual has to abort his cruise and fly home due to an emergency (which does happen) not at all likely.  And not going to happen in if the individual missed his ship (which also does happen).

Of course he will ultimately get home - but possibly after many expensive days waiting.

And from what I've read it's not that difficult. Typically the traveler is issued a waiver to fly directly to the US and when they land they are sent to secondary inspection before being allowed to proceed. The provisions in the regulations allow such a waiver and it applies to a ship full of people just as it does to one. I'm sure missing a ship because one is overserved at Senor Frogs is treated differently then if one has to return home for a medical issue, but that behavior is easily avoidable. At the end of the day we're left with two things- people may legitimately choose to use something other than a passport for certain travel and that choice is entirely personal and only affects them. As for expensive waiting that is a better argument for travel insurance.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

And from what I've read it's not that difficult. Typically the traveler is issued a waiver to fly directly to the US and when they land they are sent to secondary inspection before being allowed to proceed. The provisions in the regulations allow such a waiver and it applies to a ship full of people just as it does to one. I'm sure missing a ship because one is overserved at Senor Frogs is treated differently then if one has to return home for a medical issue, but that behavior is easily avoidable. At the end of the day we're left with two things- people may legitimately choose to use something other than a passport for certain travel and that choice is entirely personal and only affects them. As for expensive waiting that is a better argument for travel insurance.

That brings up an interesting question I have never seen addressed. Does travel insurance cover additional expenses that only become necessary due to a lack of a passport? I am not referring to say the flight itself that would be necessary with or without a passport, only the extra expenses due to its lack. Would the insurance company say, you should have had a passport and avoided these extra expenses?

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That brings up an interesting question I have never seen addressed. Does travel insurance cover additional expenses that only become necessary due to a lack of a passport? I am not referring to say the flight itself that would be necessary with or without a passport, only the extra expenses due to its lack. Would the insurance company say, you should have had a passport and avoided these extra expenses?

If you show up for your travel and don't have the requisite travel document you won't be covered. If you are on the trip and something happens that is covered that interrupts your trip then I expect you would be covered. I've not read such an exclusion in any of my policies and it would need to be clearly stated. (It's similar to having one's travel documents stolen). Of course your coverage is limited to what the policy provides. 

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And from what I've read it's not that difficult. Typically the traveler is issued a waiver to fly directly to the US and when they land they are sent to secondary inspection before being allowed to proceed….

….As for expensive waiting that is a better argument for travel insurance.

And are there convenient locations everywhere with signs indicating “Free Waivers for Undocumented Fliers to the US”?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

And are there convenient locations everywhere with signs indicating “Free Waivers for Undocumented Fliers to the US”?

It's called the port agent, the first stop for anyone who needs to leave a cruise early, with or without a passport.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's called the port agent, the first stop for anyone who needs to leave a cruise early, with or without a passport.

And you believe that the line’s port agent is authorized to issue temporary documentation permitting undocumented people to board flights to the US?  We are discussing handling a specific documentation problem here - not just cruise lines’ staffing policies.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And you believe that the line’s port agent is authorized to issue temporary documentation permitting undocumented people to board flights to the US?  We are discussing handling a specific documentation problem here - not just cruise lines’ staffing policies.

The port agent knows how to get the documentation. That is part of their job. That is why the cruise line always gives out the port agent's phone number for every port. 

Even if you have the documentation it is going to be a hassle if you miss the ship and you still need the port agent. And having a passport my not be the be all end all if it was in your cabin safe as mne would probably be or if you had it with you and were pickpocketed.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Nope, not at all.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The port agent knows how to get the documentation. That is part of their job. That is why the cruise line always gives out the port agent's phone number for every port. 

Even if you have the documentation it is going to be a hassle if you miss the ship and you still need the port agent. 

Exactly this. The port agent will be your point of contact and he or she will be the liaison between the cruise line and the agencies responsible for issuing a waiver. And even if you have a passport you still want to make contact with the port agent before jetting off to the US because they are still the liaison between the cruise line and CBP. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Even if you have the documentation it is going to be a hassle if you miss the ship and you still need the port agent. And having a passport my not be the be all end all if it was in your cabin safe as mne would probably be or if you had it with you and were pickpocketed.

Of course there is always someone who “…knows how to get the documentation.” and no one is going to be really stranded long term;  but it can take some time to get it.  

Anyway, happy sunshine posts claiming there will be NO problem getting documentation for stranded cruisers may make folks feel good - but I still prefer to travel with a passport — even though some experts here point out that there is no real need (or point in having one) because even if you had one you could have left it on the ship or had it stolen.

We all understand the reasons to have a passport.  And the reasons not too (cruise critic myths aside).  

Neither side is going to give in.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

We all understand the reasons to have a passport.  And the reasons not too (cruise critic myths aside).  

Neither side is going to give in.   

Yes, this has been an ongoing debate that pops up every so often and is never resolved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, this has been an ongoing debate that pops up every so often and is never resolved.

Very similar to the carry on vs checked bag discussion happening on another thread.   

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Very similar to the carry on vs checked bag discussion happening on another thread.   

And also similar to the if I do have a passport should I leave it in the safe or take it onshore with me debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And also similar to the if I do have a passport should I leave it in the safe or take it onshore with me debate.

Yep, whenever it is a matter of personal choice or preference it crops up. We use passports now since our travel needs changed but I recognize that not using one is an option for many.

The age old question of whether you ‘should’ get a passport when it’s not required. I’ve heard enough stories of people who find themselves passport-less to stress about it. You will get where you need to go. I have a passport, but I enjoy traveling. The first cruise I took my husband on was his first time out of the country and he had no idea if he would ever do it again. He didn’t have a passport and I didn’t stress. He has one now and hasn’t been out of the county for years due to medical issues. 🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course there is always someone who “…knows how to get the documentation.” and no one is going to be really stranded long term;  but it can take some time to get it.  

Anyway, happy sunshine posts claiming there will be NO problem getting documentation for stranded cruisers may make folks feel good - but I still prefer to travel with a passport — even though some experts here point out that there is no real need (or point in having one) because even if you had one you could have left it on the ship or had it stolen.

Gosh that seems a sarcastic post.😮

I dont think anyone was claiming to be an expert - just stating their preferences/circumstances and rationale.

If you prefer/need to travel with one, do so -  I dont think anybody was telling anyone else to do it or not do it.

The State Department specifically recommends passports when cruising to WHTI ports:

Those traveling on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend you obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires you to disembark and return by air.

If that 'unforeseen emergency' happens on a weekend or holiday (US and host country holidays), passport issuance will be delayed because US embassies and consulates issue replacement/new passports only during normal business hours, except in 'serious' emergencies.

Most U.S. embassies and consulates cannot issue passports on weekends or holidays when the embassy/consulate is closed. All U.S. embassies and consulates have after-hours duty officers available to assist with life or death emergencies of U.S. citizens abroad. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate after-hours duty officer for assistance if you have an emergency need to travel or have been the victim of a serious crime.

Duty officers must focus primary attention on life or death emergencies. In most cases, except for serious emergencies, a replacement passport will not be issued until the next business day.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

Edited by capriccio

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There was an interesting suggestion to the effect that having a passport was not necessary because cruise lines have port agents.

Once again I am not getting what you mean. 🤔

People were giving their rationale for taking or not taking one - nobody was claiming to be an expert or deciding what others should do.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:40 AM, K32682 said:

In addition to the security, how acceptable is presenting your smart phone when a passport is being demanded? It is the same with photocopies. While there might be some appeal to carrying a photocopy and leaving your passport in cabin safe will it be accepted if the need arises? 

No, the original document is required. However, there is that document identifier which helps with generating a new passport "just in case". 

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There was an interesting suggestion to the effect that having a passport was not necessary because cruise lines have port agents.

It wasn't a suggestion, it's the procedure to follow if one needs to leave the ship while in port, whether one has a passport or not. The fact is you are not on your own in that situation. It's not that "having a passport was not necessary because cruise lines have port agents", it's a passport is not necessary because it's not required for the cruise one is on coupled with the individual decision to not get a passport for the trip. Would a passport make things easier if something goes wrong? Most certainly. But what is the true risk for each person? A young person in good health who doesn't take unnecessary chances has a very low risk. An older person with health concerns has a higher risk. What is one's tolerance for risk? A person with a low tolerance might be better off getting a passport just for the peace of mind. It also matters what type of travel the person can take. Time and money may limit them to one cruise every year or two of 7 days or less. The fact remains that for most US citizens a closed loop cruise poses a very low risk of something happening. Millions travel by closed loop cruise with something other then a passport with no issues at all.

Edited by sparks1093

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

The State Department specifically recommends passports when cruising to WHTI ports:

Those traveling on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend you obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires you to disembark and return by air.

If that 'unforeseen emergency' happens on a weekend or holiday (US and host country holidays), passport issuance will be delayed because US embassies and consulates issue replacement/new passports only during normal business hours, except in 'serious' emergencies.

Most U.S. embassies and consulates cannot issue passports on weekends or holidays when the embassy/consulate is closed. All U.S. embassies and consulates have after-hours duty officers available to assist with life or death emergencies of U.S. citizens abroad. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate after-hours duty officer for assistance if you have an emergency need to travel or have been the victim of a serious crime.

Duty officers must focus primary attention on life or death emergencies. In most cases, except for serious emergencies, a replacement passport will not be issued until the next business day.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

All well and good but it is still only a recommendation. Most closed loop cruises aren't even in port on weekends or holidays, but that part overlooks the fact that the requirement for a passport is waivable for medical reasons or humanitarian reasons.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The fact remains that for most US citizens a closed loop cruise poses a very low risk of something happening. Millions travel by closed loop cruise with something other then a passport with no issues at all.

Millions of US citizens also wear seat belts when driving, have fire extinguishers in their homes and own handguns for self-defense purposes. Millions have no issues necessitating their use but few that actually do really, really need them.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All well and good but it is still only a recommendation. Most closed loop cruises aren't even in port on weekends or holidays, but that part overlooks the fact that the requirement for a passport is waivable for medical reasons or humanitarian reasons.

Of course it is only a recommendation; it couldn't be a requirement unless the WHTI was abolished or all cruise lines instituted their own requirements for traveling with a passport (as a few of them do already).  As to determining if the requirement can be waived, isn't that a function of the Department of Homeland Security's US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)?  So another government agency would be involved.

What would really be "well and good" is if people would actually avail themselves of pertinent information before leaving home.  While I don't think anyone except the State Department knows how many emergency passports are issued in a given year - much less to cruisers - everyone should understand that their 'emergency' may not constitute an emergency in the eyes of the local (if it is even local on Caribbean islands) embassy or consulate.

My experience with all this was as the spouse of a lowly foreign service officer posted in a major European capital years ago as a political officer.  All non-consular officers below the rank of a section head had after hours consular duties for a week in rotation (one officer per week so luckily in his case at a large embassy it was months between assignment).  It was exhausting and challenging in equal measure and absolutely mind boggling the trouble that people got into from the laughable ("will my fine for not getting a bus ticket go on my 'permanent record'?) to heartbreaking (a high school student on a school trip tried to visit girls on another floor of the hotel by using a bed sheet to climb down from his balcony to their balcony and it didn't work like it does in the movies).  It only took a mostly sleepless week (because he still had to report for his 'regular' day job) of emergency consular duties to understand the unanimous opinion (with the knowledge that would never happen) that applicants should need to take a test for a passport just like a driver's license!