Blarney Castle - bus or tour?

Hi! We will be in Cork on NCL Star in May. We are looking to save money at a few of the ports so wondering if taking bus 215 to Blarney Castle is as easy as it seems? Or would we be better off booking a tour?  Will the public bus be too crowded when a ship is in port? Thanks for any insight.

a couple things to consider....

We took ships excursion and it really is just transportation there.  We were one of the first buses there and we got in line to go up  Blarney Castle and the wait was only 15 minutes.   However, 10 minutes after we got in line, the line grew to well over 1.5 hour wait.  Point is, getting there later in the morning probably isn't good, even a few minutes later.   Your plan of train then bus may get you there but probably later than the cruise bus.   That said, even if you don't climb the castle, it is a nice place to visit, the grounds are very nice.

Also, note that shortly before our cruise we were notified that our ship was being moved from Cobh to Ringaskiddy.   From what I can tell, nearly every cruiseline advertises they are stopping at Cobh but many are changed to Ringaskiddy (less desirable) ... Not sure who or when or why these decisions are made, but that would complicate your train and bus plan.   Perhaps a ships excursion is a safer bet. 

16 hours ago, Roonil_Wazlib said:

We are docking in Cobb and will take train from Cobb to Cork.  Then wondering if taking 215 bus from Cork to Blarney castle is easy and will not be too crowded.

Yes it is (relatively) easy.  No it will not be too crowded except at peak commuter hours and school hours.

The route has changed recently, due to road layout changes within Cork City.  Take the train from  Cobh (note spelling! pronounced 'Kov') to Cork Kent station.  Then it is about a 20 minute walk to the bus stop at Patrick Street/Drawbridge Street.  The bus takes about 30 minutes.

From the St Annes Road bus stop it is a short walk to the castle entrance.

For the return trip I suggest you visit Blarney Woolen Mills first and then pick up the bus outside the entrance to the mills.  Get off the bus at Coburg Street stop and it is a straight walk to the train station, again 15/20 minutes.

The train can be busy in the evenings with returning cruisers and commuters returning home, so be aware of your timings.

Enjoy your visit.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes it is (relatively) easy.  No it will not be too crowded except at peak commuter hours and school hours.

The route has changed recently, due to road layout changes within Cork City.  Take the train from  Cobh (note spelling! pronounced 'Kov') to Cork Kent station.  Then it is about a 20 minute walk to the bus stop at Patrick Street/Drawbridge Street.  The bus takes about 30 minutes.

From the St Annes Road bus stop it is a short walk to the castle entrance.

For the return trip I suggest you visit Blarney Woolen Mills first and then pick up the bus outside the entrance to the mills.  Get off the bus at Coburg Street stop and it is a straight walk to the train station, again 15/20 minutes.

The train can be busy in the evenings with returning cruisers and commuters returning home, so be aware of your timings.

Enjoy your visit.

here is the up to date Bus schedule

https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=Cork+(Bus+Station+-+Parnell+Place)&form-view-timetables-to=Blarney+Village+(Woolen+Mills)&form-view-timetables-route=&form-view-timetables-submit=1

• Thanks 1

We sailed on Norwegian star last may and caught the train into Cork from Cobh. We then shared a taxi with another couple to Blarney castle which meant we arrived early and didn't have to queue. We then caught the 215 bus back to Cork and the return train to Cobh

On 1/1/2024 at 2:14 PM, ann141 said:

We sailed on Norwegian star last may and caught the train into Cork from Cobh. We then shared a taxi with another couple to Blarney castle which meant we arrived early and didn't have to queue. We then caught the 215 bus back to Cork and the return train to Cobh

Thanks for the suggestion, I like this idea a lot.  Was it easy to find a taxi, and where did you go to find one? Also do you remember the approximate cost (I’m guessing for 4 people)?

It was easy to find a taxi at Cork station as there was a taxi rank outside. I'm afraid I can't remember the cost- obviously dearer than the bus but we wanted to get there early 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It was before Covid.  Their bus arrived before the Princess buses.  We enjoyed our tour. Planning on doing the British Isles cruise again in 2025 and I will be using them again.

Edited by phabric
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:45 PM, ann141 said:

It was easy to find a taxi at Cork station as there was a taxi rank outside. I'm afraid I can't remember the cost- obviously dearer than the bus but we wanted to get there early 

There is a large taxi rank outside the Cork train station and taxis are also arriving regularily with departing train pax.  It will be more difficult to get a taxi in Blarney, so either cut a deal with the taxi driver to wait for you (expensive!) or take the bus back to the city.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 4:33 PM, Roonil_Wazlib said:

this one we will probably go with a tour.

Have you tried joining any Roll Call there might be for your sailing?

This is where you would have the best chance of finding fellow passengers to share a private tour, or a shared taxi.  You would maybe find that a private tour has been arranged and they are looking for others to join it, or where you could ask if anyone would be happy to share the cost of a one-way taxi with you.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:18 AM, edinburgher said:

Have you tried joining any Roll Call there might be for your sailing?

This is where you would have the best chance of finding fellow passengers to share a private tour, or a shared taxi.  You would maybe find that a private tour has been arranged and they are looking for others to join it, or where you could ask if anyone would be happy to share the cost of a one-way taxi with you.

Yes, I did join the roll call. We are a group of 8 so not too concerned about finding people to share a taxi but thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lets see, the ship tour to Blarney was if I remember $150USD per person. Yes! Yikes.  Our train tickets from Cobh to Cork, $11 euros return each and our bus fare return exactly $4.00 euros each. Our entrance to the castle as seniors ($18 euros each.)  We took the first train upon arrival in Cobh to Cork. 30 minutes and a fast 10 minute walk to the bus 215 across the river. 30 minute bus ride to Blarney.  We were there before all the tours arrived.  What a lovely time and basically no wait up to the top.   Would I recommend a tour. No. This is a no brainer port if you want to get to Blarney.  Plus plenty of time on our return to spend in Cobh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 8:02 AM, VMax1700 said:

visit Blarney Woolen Mills

Are there any Woolen Mills or Woolen Shops in the town of Cobh? 
We are opting to do Spike Island, Titanic Museum, Cathedral in town and would love to shop local at a Woolen shop 

17 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Are there any Woolen Mills or Woolen Shops in the town of Cobh? 
We are opting to do Spike Island, Titanic Museum, Cathedral in town and would love to shop local at a Woolen shop 

Unfortunately not.   There are a few gift shops and some clothing shops in Cobh, but not much of a range. 

• Like 1

I did Blarney when I spent 3 night in Cork City, as others already pointed out, be sure to arrive before the big tour busses arrive; because especially for the Blarney Stone the wait will change very fast from 5 minutes to 90 minutes +...

Recommendation: Go first to the castle and the stone and ignore everything else...you can easy spent 2 to 3 hours to explore the gardens and ground afterwards (if the weather is as nice as it was at my visit)

• Thanks 1