Best place to watch Panama Canal transit onboard?

cruisemom42

I’m on Insignia on a canal transit itinerary (full). We’ll be doing the transit tomorrow. Any recommendations on the best spots to observe the transit on an R class ship? I am in an Inside cabin, so verandah is not a choice for me.

We made the Miami to LA transit in October and planted ourselves in the front chairs of Horizons and it was great. Remember, the transit will take all day so you can even move around the ship to catch different viewing sites. I don’t know what your weather is like or will be like so that is a factor to consider.  For us it was HOT AND HUMID so staying put in the air conditioning was #1 for me. The lecturer will be making their presentation and there will be quiet times as well. Really you are free to go anywhere you would like, even some time possibly outdoors in the Terrace Cafe could be interesting. 
Enjoy the transit, it was great.

Mauibabes

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

We made the Miami to LA transit in October and planted ourselves in the front chairs of Horizons and it was great. Remember, the transit will take all day so you can even move around the ship to catch different viewing sites. I don’t know what your weather is like or will be like so that is a factor to consider.  For us it was HOT AND HUMID so staying put in the air conditioning was #1 for me. The lecturer will be making their presentation and there will be quiet times as well. Really you are free to go anywhere you would like, even some time possibly outdoors in the Terrace Cafe could be interesting. 
Enjoy the transit, it was great.

Mauibabes

Now, the real potential issue here is….are there chair hogs for those seats in Horizons for the transit as for the loungers on the pool deck??  Just askin’. 😉

Edited by EJL2023
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I’m on Insignia on a canal transit itinerary (full). We’ll be doing the transit tomorrow. Any recommendations on the best spots to observe the transit on an R class ship? I am in an Inside cabin, so verandah is not a choice for me.

Seriously, with or without a veranda, the truly best view is the Bridge Cam in your cabin.

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Seriously, with or without a veranda, the truly best view is the Bridge Cam in your cabin.

Well shoot, I could’ve just stayed home and watched a YouTube video. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am sure the simple answer is yes. However, in our case and that of friends with us, there was always a butt in a chair, even when we swapped out for lunch or potty break. We often shared with a caveat that a returnee had priority.  Lots of photo ops for anyone and everyone from those front windows. Just hope they are all cleaned for good picture taking. 
You bet, the front facing camera will always be a great site source but it is always great to see things first hand. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Posted (edited)

Having transited 3 times my preference is to move around and generally spend a fair amount of time outside.

The Gatun will be very popular for prime spots being the first set.

Pedro Miguel likely less busy, and then busy again for Miraflores.

Whilst being near the bow for entry is good, being aft to view that side of the operation is also worthwhile, especially with a ship close behind you.

You definitely should be outside on the side (likely starboard side in your direction) to view any large ship beside you in the opposite direction.

They are very close.

You will get close up views of the mules in operation.

Also get some photos from deck 5 outside as the ship is in a chamber with the water level reducing.

For the middle chamber whilst in Miraflores be on the port side to wave and shout to the people onshore on the viewing platform and the restaurant.

So, in summary; move around to view multiple aspects of the operation.

That's very easy to do on Insignia.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you want to stay indoors, Horizons.  Otherwise, outside (probably on deck 11) where you can freely move around to enjoy the view from all sides.  

Hope you enjoy the day.  A first-time full transit is special.  

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well shoot, I could’ve just stayed home and watched a YouTube video. 🤣

Out on deck or in Horizons, the locks are worth seeing “up close and personal” through a couple of opening/closing activities. IMO, any more than that is like watching paint dry. Of course, that comment comes after having done the transit several times. 

In the locks I loved being at the window of reception level on O class ships. The stone walls are right there! On R class I imagine the reception level outside deck would be great for a moment! 

Agree with @Tranquility Base, moving around is the ticket. Horizons, upper most deck, walking track above pool deck, your veranda (if you have one), and reception level (especially in-lock) all offer great views

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

You will get close up views of the mules in operation.

Lesser known fact about the mules (the little locomotives): ships use their own engines for propulsion; the mules merely keep the ships centered in the locks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Lesser known fact about the mules (the little locomotives): ships use their own engines for propulsion; the mules merely keep the ships centered in the locks.

Indeed.

'Ding, ding, ding'.......does that mean tensioning or releasing or something else ?

I might have to book another transit to try to figure it out.....eek.

You will have plenty of time to get a true appreciatlion for the great project that will always be a engineering feat. If you haven't read David McCullough's "The Path Between The Seas" grab it when you get home. It's a must read for anyone who has any interest in the Panama Canal.

We've gone through several times and will be returning in just a few months. There is really no bad exterior viewpoint. Follow the recs to move decks and from port to starboard. I prefer watching the mules from the aft though.

Enjoy!!!

• Like 3

On 1/2/2024 at 7:06 AM, Snaefell3 said:

I don't know about Insignia, but on the Regatta last March, the Spa Terrace (Deck 9 foredeck) was open to all -- the cardkey reader on the door from the gym was long gone.

100% Endorsed. The Spa Terrace is the place to be. If you sit in Horizons, you have to look through the blue glass, and if you take pictures everything will be blue.

Up on the Spa Terrace they have loungers, you can get yourself water, and restrooms are nearby. And the commentary will come over the speakers on the Terrace. Also, if you climb up the steps where the hot tub is, you can see over the top of the glass, and get great pictures.

Go early, grab a spot!

• Thanks 1

Personally I think one of the best places is on the deck above the swimming pool.   As you proceed through the docent will point out things on both sides and many passengers shift from side to side especially when wild life is pointed out.