Aboard Symphony for 30 days, Sydney to Bali, Jan 4th to Feb 3rd

TRIPACIAN

1 hour ago, Whipsnade said:

When any of these companies talk about “new builds” don’t believe a word until they announce a contract with a builder. I, too hope Crystal will be able to move forward but even with the cash they have they cannot compete with MSC and RCL. And with only 250 pax on board it is going to be tough sledding to get the $$ they need to expand. 
We board in Sydney on 1/21 for 68 days. Can’t wait. 

As has been discussed previously on this board, I suspect that the 250 passenger load will increase over the next year or so. We have been looking at some cruises for later this year and are unable to get our first choice of suite/itinerary on several sailings. This is our 2nd Symphony cruise since the re-start, but during that time we have been on other lines and have also committed to more cruises this year and next (on other lines). If we do decide to bite on the bullet and cancel the other cruises to go on a Crystal Cruise, we will lose a significant amount of money and that's a hard pill to swallow and I'm sure there must be others in the same boat(!)

3 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

I'm sure there must be others in the same boat(!)

So true! I'm booked with plans both on land and sea through mid 2025 so haven't booked a Crystal ship yet either.  I will be watching as new itineraries are announced!

~Nancy  

Adding to what Patty has said, as we've all discussed many people had cruising plans on other lines and either had paid or didn't want to incur cancellation fees.  Serenity is benefiting with people from USA, Canada and Mexico which don't involve long haul flights.  New promotion seems to be doing very well just based on knowing many people who are taking advantage of it.

Keith

• Like 3

So far the cruise has been very nice and we have been lucky to meet several great guests.  The food, service and entertainment has been excellent.  Everything has been comparable to our October/November cruise on the Serenity.

A common question we have been asked is whether we like the Symphony better than the Serenity.  To be honest there is so little difference that while on the ships we really find it difficult to tell them apart.  Of course they are different but the feeling is the same.  The main difference to us is the Supper Club on the Serenity, which we love.  Jade (late night disco) on the Symphony is really much nicer than Pulse on the Serenity.  

Another slight difference that we like better on the Symphony is the Avenue Saloon.  I am sure different people will have different “likes” on one ship versus the other but really they are both great.  Decor varies but the Crystal feeling is the same.

By the way we did get a bridge instructor today in Dunedin.  Apparently the visa problem has been solved.

We have been surprised to meet several guests sailing Crystal for the first time and they are being Crystallized as we speak!  So far no negative comments.  One couple was disappointed in the lack of things to do on sea days and we asked them if they had looked at the Reflection.  We went over the guest speakers and other activities with them and they are now very happy!

This is day 7 of thirty so more to come as we enjoy New Zealand.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Paul Hill

I’m always disappointed when it’s somebody I don’t know!

I hope there’s been a good turnout. On a few days in port on Serenity recently, they didn’t have duplicate on the schedule, just unhosted bridge. They tried that on the holiday cruise and practically had a mutiny.

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

About how many are expected Bangkok to Hong Kong to Singapore?

TIA. 

I will try to find out.  We have 250 ++ on this cruise and only 89 Sydney to Bali.  We were told that they were expecting 250 to 300 from Singapore on until they reach the Mediterranean.  They are pretty full for the summer months in the Mediterranean.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

… and only 89 Sydney to Bali

Wow - are you sure? - if correct that’s amazing - and so sad

Surely they could have marketed it more to get a better loading on that cruise 

I appreciate they don’t want to discount the product but surely some revenue would have been better than sailing with that number 

• Like 2

Only 89 Sydney to Bali??!!  We will be two of them. Guess I won’t have much trouble getting a lane in the pool. 
Never been on a ship with so few pax except a river boat. 
Wonder if all the venues will be open. 
Hoping this report is an error. 

• Like 1

The.majority of Crystal customers don't live in Australia. And I would think USA ,followed by the UK and EU

For most it is a long way to travel to and from Sydney and Bali,so it does not surprise me really, and many people don't like to fly that much or so far to and from a cruise

• Haha 1

In the past when cruise companies like old Crystal ran light in that part of the world they  would sell cheap in Australia and pick up a lot of pax. 
Please tell me it won’t be 89 pax Sydney to Bali. Will be like a tomb!  

• Like 1

I have heard, but can't speak to the veracity, that the powers that be with the new Crystal aren't interested in "sell cheap in Australia" or any other place on the globe. They will be doing specials like the current cabin upgade one, but don't expect slashed fares to fill more cabins. I guess we can say this is a time will tell.

Patty

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

The.majority of Crystal customers don't live in Australia. And I would think USA ,followed by the UK and EU

For most it is a long way to travel to and from Sydney and Bali,so it does not surprise me really, and many people don't like to fly that much or so far to and from a cruise

Yes and right after the holidays when people are returning to their normal activities.  Also let’s remember that the Symphony has only been back a very few months.

Edited by TRIPACIAN
Sp

22 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wow - are you sure? - if correct that’s amazing - and so sad

Surely they could have marketed it more to get a better loading on that cruise 

I appreciate they don’t want to discount the product but surely some revenue would have been better than sailing with that number 

Trust me we will have a great time on this cruise!

• Like 5

I hope Tillie is right but I have been doing this for 50 years and I have heard a dozen times from cruise lines and hotels who vowed to never cut prices to fill the Hotel/ship. In the end when the chips are down they all cave. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I hope Tillie is right but I have been doing this for 50 years and I have heard a dozen times from cruise lines and hotels who vowed to never cut prices to fill the Hotel/ship. In the end when the chips are down they all cave. 

We do recognize that pricing is based on many factors including supply and demand.

What Crystal has done at least with the current program is to offer the chance to upgrade while keeping the integrity of pricing. But in short they have dropped the price because one can book x room and get an upgrade to as an Aquamarine at the lower rate.  But anyone who already booked can take advantage of the offer as many have done.

At the same time they seem to use dynamic pricing.

I have never heard from Crystal that they vowed not to adjust rates and that includes under NYK, G and new Crystal.

But then again I've never read that most companies have made statements (I am sure some did) about never lowering rates.

When I do book a hotel, I book early and then check rates.If they stay the same and or go up I do nothing and if they go down I get the better rate.I've done this for other things such as when I used to rent cars.

Back to Symphony. Their challenge over that of Serenity was where they are sailing. Many of the Crystal Society members have chosen to cruise closer to home or say those in North America going to Europe but maybe not to the Middle East Australia, etc.  I think between the promotion which is seems to sell very well, Symphony sailing in Europe this year and people who didn't have commitments in the second half of 2024 and for 2025 demand should increase for Symphony and continue to increase for Serenity. It all takes time though.

Keith

• Like 1

I think we cannot underestimate the effect current troubles in middle east especially in Red Sea have on many cruisers who are not as familiar with geography as regular cruisers are. Right niw even I would not be sailing Red Sea and doubt any ships now in Asia will take this route back to the Med. And the West Africa segments have never sold well anyway. 

I think Crystal should offer lower Single Supplements to entice more singles to take a cruise.  It was only 30 % in the OC but now they want 65% or more depending on the cruise.  The Single rooms are not appealing!

Pat

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I think we cannot underestimate the effect current troubles in middle east especially in Red Sea have on many cruisers who are not as familiar with geography as regular cruisers are. Right niw even I would not be sailing Red Sea and doubt any ships now in Asia will take this route back to the Med. And the West Africa segments have never sold well anyway. 

For those cruise that were last year and the ones upcoming soon most of the booking happened way before October 7 so again I believe there are many other factors at play.  In terms of new bookings sure.  

Now if we all had a Crystal Ball we would no where to book where war, terrorism and even mother nature would not strike.

Keith

3 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I would be sailing the Red Sea without concern.

IMO, the ships will use the Suez to make the European season.

Just my two cents worth.

• Like 1