Ports that require eye scans?

Please clarify- the east of what? East coast of the US ?  The Far East? Middle East? Sea ports, or any ports of entry? 

In the US, iris scans are part of Global Entry or Nexus requirements. Retinal scans are not used. 

• Thanks 1

Disembarking and reboarding at any US based closed loop itinerary only uses your ship ID card.  Eye / photo recognition is part of US Customs at departure port disembarkation. (Which is also backed up by visual Passport inspection if needed).  All above confirmed as we just got off Oasis of the Seas yesterday.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:54 PM, mom says said:

In the US, iris scans are part of Global Entry or Nexus requirements. Retinal scans are not used. 

Huh, never had an iris scan. Have had facial recognition.  Don't think they are the same thing, but what do I know.    

• Like 1

Just now, ldubs said:

Huh, never had an iris scan. Have had facial recognition.  Don't think they are the same thing, but what do I know.    

I am looking for correction if I am wrong (and am certain that it will be pointed out if I am), but my understanding is that with RCCL as example, their on board security ID uses some form of eye identification (being intentionally generic here) as part of their recognition system.  I believe it is more than just facial recognition.  Hopefully one of our more astute colleagues (chengkp75,Heidi13, et al) can confirm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am looking for correction if I am wrong (and am certain that it will be pointed out if I am), but my understanding is that with RCCL as example, their on board security ID uses some form of eye identification (being intentionally generic here) as part of their recognition system.  I believe it is more than just facial recognition.  Hopefully one of our more astute colleagues (chengkp75,Heidi13, et al) can confirm. 

Aw, I was referring to the Customs/Global Entry.  I recall having to show my face in front of a camera on our last RCI cruise.  Can they do an iris scan that way?  I honestly don't know.  I might learn something (again)!   

22 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Aw, I was referring to the Customs/Global Entry.  I recall having to show my face in front of a camera on our last RCI cruise.  Can they do an iris scan that way?  I honestly don't know.  I might learn something (again)!   

Yeah I kind of took your position in another direction.  Sorry.  But you are correct as we too just went through customs on our return from Oasis and walked through with facial recognition and not having to show our passports.  It was like that the past few cruises and speeds things up tremendously.

Not sure if that would work as well with an iris scan.  That is something I'm hoping others can confirm, which is why I drifted from your subject to the on board security question.  Easy to have the mind wander as we age.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yeah I kind of took your position in another direction.  Sorry.  But you are correct as we too just went through customs on our return from Oasis and walked through with facial recognition and not having to show our passports.  It was like that the past few cruises and speeds things up tremendously.

Not sure if that would work as well with an iris scan.  That is something I'm hoping others can confirm, which is why I drifted from your subject to the on board security question.  Easy to have the mind wander as we age.....

I think your last couple sentences describe a lot of my posts!  haha. 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:34 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Not an astute member but the iris scans require a binocular-like device to scan the back of the eye at a distance a few millimeters from the surface of the eye. 

On the other hand, facial recognition scanners measure:

• Distance between the eyes
  • Distance from the forehead to the chin
  • Distance between the nose and mouth
  • Depth of the eye sockets
  • Shape of the cheekbones
  • Contour of the lips, ears, and chin

US Global Entry, many larger airports, government facilities, and Holland America ships use facial recognition to speed processing.  Since measurements are very difficult to duplicate (unlike hair color, makeup, false eyelashes, contact lenses, etc.), it is hard to deceive the measurements detection.

Other than US and Canada airports/cruise ports, I have not experienced facial recognition used in any other ports.

I am trying to figure out why anyone cares in either a positive or negative sense if a port or anywhere else in the world does eye scans.  Do some people consider it an invasion of privacy or am I missing something.

DON

• Like 3