To those currently cruising ... re: Premium package wine by the glass

Robkat

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

It seems from recent posts that, at least in the Retreat, they tell you about the upcharge before serving the wine but no slips to sign.  

Thanks jelayne. We typically dine in BLU and always love that our sommeliers are usually very attentive to "refill" our wine glasses before our glass is empty.  Not sure how this will work with all the wine upcharges; they will bring you another serving in a new wineglass or wait until you are finished to refill?  I guess they will figure it out, but it won't be a problem for me.  Will likely just stop purchasing packages or seek alternatives to Celebrity that are more "all-inclusive." 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kayehall said:

And I have seen them pouring Absolute into a Grey Goose bottle.....so who knows what you are really drinking!!!

I saw that too!

OP here:  thanks so much to everyone who has posted, shown menus, and reported on their experiences.

It's only been 10 months since we were on X last, and I've read this thread, almost in disbelief, to hear about these continued cost increases.

When we upgraded from Classic to Premium for this latest cruise, we couldn't believe how much that upgrade had gone up in cost! It was over $100 more than when we had upgraded previously, not so long before.  

But, like most of you, we liked the included bourbons, tequilas and wine, so we shook our heads, bit the bullet and went ahead.

Now, to hear that most of the nicer wines have been priced out of that (already paid!) upgrade range, and that we'll be charged an additional surcharge to have those same wines, is annoying and definitely has us going into this cruise a little up-in-arms.  Not to say that we won't have a good time, but who likes feeling like they're having surcharge upon surcharge thrust upon them???

(Now, please don't someone tell us that they've also increased pricing on bourbons to put them out of the Premium package!  Now that would be a bridge too far!!! 😂

Considering all this, could you tell us what the policy is about bringing wine bottles on.  We haven't done this for so long, thanks to the drinks packages, but now ... 

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ready to go said:

Remember when one of the benefits of the drink package was not having to keep track of all the receipts?

Always the tipping point for me.  Now it's being noted they are upcharging, telling you, but not giving you a receipt to sign.  So you have to keep track of that.  Sitting on the end of the bed, looking at the TV and trying to remember how many glasses of wine you had and what the charges should be as the sea passes by.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Neither here or there, but just happened to see a current wine list/pricing posted on the Oceania thread and thought it would be helpful to share.  🙄

OceaniaWine.jpeg.719596033542be2b4ed8a66c3436db51.thumb.jpeg.6d49426822c4f430d48deb39098dc55f.jpeg

Better prices for the same inexpensive (cheap?) wines. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Neither here or there, but just happened to see a current wine list/pricing posted on the Oceania thread and thought it would be helpful to share.  🙄

You should mail that to the Celebrity execs with your complaint about the wines no longer included in the DBP.

18 hours ago, 39august said:

Last week I saw a current menu and Elegance was NOT included. Maybe they've changed it? Elegance hardly even qualifies for the Premium package, much less $2.40 more! We will be on board in Luminae in 9 days. So we will hope for the best.

Was on Constellation in Dec and KJ Elegance was not a problem to get anywhere, Luminae, Michaels, etc. Also, the Louis Chadot but could be hit or miss depending on where you were but I had t a number of times.  

18 hours ago, kayehall said:

And I have seen them pouring Absolute into a Grey Goose bottle.....so who knows what you are really drinking!!!

That’s 2 people who say that they’ve witnessed this. In the UK this is an offence under Food Safety legislation as it is a offence “to sell food(includes drink) which is  not of the nature, substance or quality demanded by the purchaser”.

I would hope that anyone witnessing this on board would call it out and report it to the Hotel Manager. What is the point in buying anything on board if it has been subject to adulteration or switching.

I really hope that the allegations of pouring cheaper spirits into more expensive bottles are mistaken.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Robkat said:

When we upgraded from Classic to Premium for this latest cruise, we couldn't believe how much that upgrade had gone up in cost! It was over $100 more than when we had upgraded previously, not so long before.  

But, like most of you, we liked the included bourbons, tequilas and wine, so we shook our heads, bit the bullet and went ahead.

Not to burst your bourbon bubble,  but we're on Silhouette right now and the only available bourbons are Makers,  Woodford (not double oaked), Buffalo Trace.  Maybe one other I cant remember.  Angels Envy is a $5 charge,  Eagle Rare is $10 charge.  i.e. $27 for a measured shot.

All the upcharging is ridiculous.  Premium is what Classic used to be. 

Edited by ILCruiser
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Linda W. said:

I'll have to relook at my booking as they took Decoy OUT of the premium beverage package AFTER they marketed it.  We will see.  I emailed the executive office about it but of course, doubt they care.

When the news just came out, believe me they received many, many emails about it.  I sent one and got a call - the usual management speak.  They claimed they were going to have a meeting about it.  That was several weeks ago and nothing has changed.  Whether they met or not who knows, but if they did they just don't care.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

When the news just came out, believe me they received many, many emails about it.  I sent one and got a call - the usual management speak.  They claimed they were going to have a meeting about it.  That was several weeks ago and nothing has changed.  Whether they met or not who knows, but if they did they just don't care.

They already had a meeting about it and the decision was to increase the price. That wasn't an oversight. Now they look at bookings and yields. Are they still up or improving? If so, you can either pay or pick a sub $17 glass. 

• Like 3

From what I can find online - rule of thumb for pricing of a glass of wine price is 1 glass = 1 bottle at MRSP and 1 bottle at a restaurant = 3-4 times MSRP. That being said some of Celebrity’s pricing seems correct and some seem very off. Also what size pour are you consistently getting on the ship - standard again is 5 oz? Sometimes I just want 1.5 glasses because I don’t wanna waste wine or now money what’s my option? Maybe Celebrity needs to increase the allowance for classic and premium to $12 and $19? Or reduce some menu prices because they should pass some of their buying power discounts to customers?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rmoosh said:

From what I can find online - rule of thumb for pricing of a glass of wine price is 1 glass = 1 bottle at MRSP and 1 bottle at a restaurant = 3-4 times MSRP. That being said some of Celebrity’s pricing seems correct and some seem very off. Also what size pour are you consistently getting on the ship - standard again is 5 oz? Sometimes I just want 1.5 glasses because I don’t wanna waste wine or now money what’s my option? Maybe Celebrity needs to increase the allowance for classic and premium to $12 and $19? Or reduce some menu prices because they should pass some of their buying power discounts to customers?

Out of curiosity I have priced a couple of my favorites at a couple of higher end restaurants in Chicago - not cheap restaurants and not a cheap city.  Celebrity's prices were $2-$3 more per glass.  In other words, just enough to push them out of the premium package.  And while I agree with your summary of pricing strategy, IMHO one needs to weigh the fact that due to the huge volume purchased of these wines, Celebrity I am sure pays less per bottle than a restaurant pays wholesale.  So they are making more than restaurants are, per pour, even before raising those prices.  Very frustrating, and very tacky.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Was on Constellation in Dec and KJ Elegance was not a problem to get anywhere, Luminae, Michaels, etc. Also, the Louis Chadot but could be hit or miss depending on where you were but I had t a number of times.  

That was December - this is January - prices have been raised and a third "tier" of wines has been manufactured.

52 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Out of curiosity I have priced a couple of my favorites at a couple of higher end restaurants in Chicago - not cheap restaurants and not a cheap city.  Celebrity's prices were $2-$3 more per glass.  In other words, just enough to push them out of the premium package.  And while I agree with your summary of pricing strategy, IMHO one needs to weigh the fact that due to the huge volume purchased of these wines, Celebrity I am sure pays less per bottle than a restaurant pays wholesale.  So they are making more than restaurants are, per pour, even before raising those prices.  Very frustrating, and very tacky.

Yes frustrating and tacky for sure!

57 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I actually found a place in Manhattan last week that had Conundrum for $22. I think it's $19 now on Celebrity.

Their pricing is based on the drink packages. The high end of the package is $0. The first $17 is a sunk cost of the package. The absolute value is essentially meaningless. If you don't look at it that way you'll just go crazy. And I realize not everyone has a package, but that's clearly how they're pricing things.

23 hours ago, kayehall said:

Wow!!!  That's discouraging to hear!!! 

I always purchase Premium upgrade for my Grey Goose martinis.  On occasion in the past I have been served a martini that was not Grey Goose.  Celebrity only ended up wasting several ounces of vodka every time as I would politely note that they "served me something other than Grey Goose by mistake" and re-order the drink initially requested.  Like many others on this forum I'm sure, I can tell the difference between the premium and not premium spirits when having a drink without a mixer.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kayehall said:

I always purchase Premium upgrade for my Grey Goose martinis.  On occasion in the past I have been served a martini that was not Grey Goose.  Celebrity only ended up wasting several ounces of vodka every time as I would politely note that they "served me something other than Grey Goose by mistake" and re-order the drink initially requested.  Like many others on this forum I'm sure, I can tell the difference between the premium and not premium spirits when having a drink without a mixer.  

Just now, Reel Love said:

Apologies for duplicate post.....system said it did not post so re-posted (insert eye roll here lol)

• Haha 1

It's a poor show. I upgraded to premium before the changes (as did many, I know), on the strength of what was offered at the time. Pulling the rug etc. Cheap, tacky tactics by a supposedly more premium line.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Will Celebrity be introducing any new premium wines or alcohols to their menu in the coming months?

There was a very long threat that included emails from Celebrity''s executive office, even from Laura, that seems to have disappeared, or I am not seeing it right now.  According to an email that was posted from Laura, Celebrity was adding new wines to the beverage packages effective immediately and being pushed to the entire fleet. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:25 PM, richczarnecki said:

OK, so here is my latest conversation with Laura.  Seems like something is changing for the better, with Sunday's Ascent departure being the first to add more wine ("variety") choices under PBP (the date I sail).  But she still does not confirm that a Retreat menu item over the PBP limit will not be charged (as others have experienced).  So hopefully more (better?) choices within PBP in Retreat, but still an upcharge for Retreat menu items over $17.  BUT then she says this, which would seem to state that nothing on Pool Deck and Lounge menus is either (a) over $17 or (b) will not be upcharged.  Confused?  I shall see and report back . . .

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:41 AM
To: Richard 
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Thank you for your note. I can assure you that on Ascent this weekend, in all three locations for the Retreat, there will more variety than in the past on the wine menu and those wines will be included in the premium package.

As I mentioned, as we have always had, in all locations around the ship, wines for an additional charge over and above the package are available if a guest would like them.

Laura Hodges Bethge

President, Celebrity Cruises

lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:59 AM
To: Laura Hodges Bethge <lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Thank you, Laura.  That's great to know!  But I still am unclear.  If I order wine off a Retreat menu with a premium package,  am I still understanding correctly that I will not be charged even if the menu price is above $17?  I believe you stated that here but other passengers are saying this is not accurate and that they are being charged.

Thanks again!  Rich

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 12:07 PM
To: Richard
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Hi Richard—

All of the wines on the Retreat Pool Deck and in the Retreat Lounge are within the Premium Package, and those same wines are available in Luminae (given Luminae is a restaurant that list is more extensive). And, starting this weekend on Ascent we are adding more variety to that list of wines included in the premium packages– so that our Retreat guests have plenty to choose from. (It will be fleetwide by the end of the month).

There are additional wines available for an upcharge – that has not changed. Did we make some changes to inclusions in the classic and premium package, we did, and that will always continue to evolve and change based on guest preferences and inventory availability.

As I also mentioned, we are in the midst of reviewing, updating and adding breadth and depth to our wine menu. As you can imagine, these things do not happen instantaneously. We are excited to bring these new offerings to our guests in the next few months.

My very best, Laura

Laura Hodges Bethge

President, Celebrity Cruises

lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:16 PM, ILCruiser said:

Not to burst your bourbon bubble,  but we're on Silhouette right now and the only available bourbons are Makers,  Woodford (not double oaked), Buffalo Trace.  Maybe one other I cant remember.  Angels Envy is a $5 charge,  Eagle Rare is $10 charge.  i.e. $27 for a measured shot.

All the upcharging is ridiculous.  Premium is what Classic used to be. 

Thanks for posting this.  Bubble not burst ... it's definitely good to go into the cruise knowing what to expect!

Your comment/opinion about the upcharging is absolutely right.  Hasn't X now removed most of the incentive to upgrade to Premium.  The reason most given for the reason to do so is for the better wines!  Now what???