To those currently cruising ... re: Premium package wine by the glass

Robkat

Have just read a thread talking about the price increase of many of the wines by the glass that used to be included in the Premium package.

I've tried looking everywhere (and I just don't seem to EVER be able to get an appropriate reply from the Search bar here!) to no avail.

For anyone who is cruising right now, would someone mind posting some photos of what wines (red & white) by the glass are now available in the packages, specifically the Premium package.

It would be really appreciated.  And, if someone has already done this, I apologize, but I just can't track it down.

Thanks so much in advance.

• Like 2

Not currently cruising, but the best bet is the app. The easiest snapshot is going to the be the MDR as it specifically lists wines by the Classic and Premium packages (Whites in Classic, Whites in Premium, etc.).

Today for the Premium Package, that looks like:

Kendall Jackson "Elegance" Chardonnay

Louis Jadot Chardonnay

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc

Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc

J&H Selbach Kabinett Riesling

Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling

Jean Luc Columbo Rose

Bertani Bertarose Rose

Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon

Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon (South Africa)

Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve California Pinot Noir

Torres Ibericos, Tempranillo (Crianza)

Avivo Sangioves (California)

Jean Luc Columbo Cotes Du-Rhone

That's from the MDR on the current Equinox sailing. There may be slightly different offerings in Luminae or Blu. 

• Like 1

Last week I saw a current menu and Elegance was NOT included. Maybe they've changed it? Elegance hardly even qualifies for the Premium package, much less $2.40 more! We will be on board in Luminae in 9 days. So we will hope for the best.

• Like 2

we always pay for the premium package.    For white, we like  Villa Maria. What we drink at home!   .  We did have a number of times, on different ships,  where we asked  for Villa Maria (Premium package) and they tried to pawn off whites from the. classic  package.    my suggestion. If you know what you want, and not in Blu or Luminae, get your wine yourself from the bar.  And, both DH and I went to bar asking for VM. Saw them grab a generic Italian white, not what we ordered    Just saying. if you are paying for something, make sure you get what you want

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Their prices are ridiculously high

Unfortunately about a month ago they had a HUGE price increase. Some wines went up 50% or more !!! Celebrity is squeezing every penny they can out of their passengers !!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

we always pay for the premium package.    For white, we like  Villa Maria. What we drink at home!   .  We did have a number of times, on different ships,  where we asked  for Villa Maria (Premium package) and they tried to pawn off whites from the. classic  package.    my suggestion. If you know what you want, and not in Blu or Luminae, get your wine yourself from the bar.  And, both DH and I went to bar asking for VM. Saw them grab a generic Italian white, not what we ordered    Just saying. if you are paying for something, make sure you get what you want

And I have seen them pouring Absolute into a Grey Goose bottle.....so who knows what you are really drinking!!!

• Like 1

We board the Connie this week.

About a month ago, X ran a big sale and we upgraded from Classic to Premium. I did it based on the following :

Champagnes and favorite wines such as Conundrum White and Red Blends, Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon, J&H Selbach Riesling Kabine, Mouton Cadet Bordeaux Blend, and Edmeades Zinfandel

I just checked and the link still takes me to this information. I'll have this information at the ready when I order my first glass of Decoy!!

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, NC Fred said:

About a month ago, X ran a big sale and we upgraded from Classic to Premium. I did it based on the following :

Champagnes and favorite wines such as Conundrum White and Red Blends, Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon, J&H Selbach Riesling Kabine, Mouton Cadet Bordeaux Blend, and Edmeades Zinfandel

I just checked and the link still takes me to this information. I'll have this information at the ready when I order my first glass of Decoy!!

We were on the Equinox in December.  Upgraded to the Premium Package because we like most of the wines you listed.  When we tried to order Edmeades Zin or Cherry Pie or Decoy - We were told that there would be an upcharge from the "Premium" package....  These wines were listed at $19.00!!!

I complained - but to no avail -...  We were in BLU and the wine server was unrelenting....

We are Elite Plus and have never had such a problem...   especially in BLU...  

Be prepared......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

To what end?

To have the opportunity to read the disclaimer reserving the right to change specific brands and offerings without notice.

Frankly they should drop the “such as” once the specific examples aren’t true. Too many places that need to be updated and consistent and they’re not invested in the systems to produce that consistency. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

To have the opportunity to read the disclaimer reserving the right to change specific brands and offerings without notice.

I'm trying to picture the look on the poor bartender's face, who's just trying to do his job while being questioned about his $.40 tip by @NC Fred who pulls out his screen shot. "Sorry Mr. Fred, that glass of Decoy is a $2 upcharge."

• Haha 1

12 night cruise. Let's assume 4 glasses of wine that used to be in the premium pkg per day. Both my wife and I enjoy the same wine.

12X4X$2.40X2=$230!!

We upgraded so we would not have to do this!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, TXranchgal said:

We were on the Equinox in December.  Upgraded to the Premium Package because we like most of the wines you listed.  When we tried to order Edmeades Zin or Cherry Pie or Decoy - We were told that there would be an upcharge from the "Premium" package....  These wines were listed at $19.00!!!

I complained - but to no avail -...  We were in BLU and the wine server was unrelenting....

We are Elite Plus and have never had such a problem...   especially in BLU...  

Be prepared......

Don’t think CC status has anything to do with being charged for wines over the limit.  Unfortunately they have moved many of the most popular wines over the limit.

There are 2 wines I drink occasionally that were over the limit by $ 4 and $8 previously and I was always charged for the difference whether I was in the MDR, Blu or Luminae.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NC Fred said:

12 night cruise. Let's assume 4 glasses of wine that used to be in the premium pkg per day. Both my wife and I enjoy the same wine.

12X4X$2.40X2=$230!!

We upgraded so we would not have to do this!

I did also, but still had to pay all of the upcharges last week...  It ls like paying for Premium and then paying again.

The same for the room service upcharges.  They were no charge when I booked and last week they were a charge.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, NC Fred said:

I'll have to relook at my booking as they took Decoy OUT of the premium beverage package AFTER they marketed it.  We will see.  I emailed the executive office about it but of course, doubt they care.

Thank you for this information! I've historically made an effort to track all this (hence the screen name) but the offerings and prices change so frequently, it's not even feasible to do so.

We cruise on Apex in retreat class in a month. Wine is something we really enjoy and so it is really important to our experience on a cruise. We have had some fantastic wine experiences in the past, but it's harder and harder to come by. 

My typical approach is to try lots of different wines from various locations around the ship. Usually at least one venue will have something I like by the glass and then I'll just return there as often as possible. On our next cruise I'll be aware that even this strategy may be an upcharge. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 39august said:

Last week I saw a current menu and Elegance was NOT included. Maybe they've changed it? Elegance hardly even qualifies for the Premium package, much less $2.40 more! We will be on board in Luminae in 9 days. So we will hope for the best.

Completely agree. The fact that wines like Decoy and Whispering Angel are now an upcharge from the premium package is ridiculous. We have found that often the somm in Luminae to be excellent and more flexible in either waiving some upcharges or finding wines from other venues that are within the package. 

Hope you have a great experience!

• Like 2

We were on the Dec 10th sailing of the Ascent. I was very disappointed with the price increase for the wines and other drinks. We purchased a classic package as a gift for our friends we were traveling with as a treat for them.  The wine options were so small it was ridiculous. My husband and I were on the premium package as I enjoy Conundrum wine. Last year on the Beyond this was always in the premium package. This year I was charged $2.40 up charge. I always enjoyed the sommelier being generous with keeping my glass full of wine while I was on the package. This also is no longer true as they’d have to ask each time to verify I’m willing to pay the upcharge.
The reason I buy a package is for the convenience and as my husband is on medication and no longer can drink any alcohol, I’m definitely paying a premium. There really is no way I can justify the price with the amount of drinks I drink. Celebrity really should rethink these upcharges as I have decided to no longer purchase a package and just pay as I go. I’ll be spending much less so Celebrity will be missing out on their profit from me.  

• Like 3

sparkling wine by the glass

prosecco,

torresella, italy 10

brut,

cava, villarnau, spain 12

brut,

domaine chandon, california 15

champagne by the glass

champagne

m. haslinger & fils champagne 17

champagne,

mumm, cordon rouge, france 24

champagne,

veuve clicquot, yellow label 25

rosé by the glass

rosé de provence,

le bel olivier, france 10

jean luc,

colombo, france 17

bertani bertarose,

veneto, italy 17

whispering angel,

chateau d'esclans, france 19

white by the glass

sauvignon blanc

gran araucaria, chile 10

chardonnay,

seeker, california 10

pinot grigio,

canti, 10

riesling,

chateau ste. michelle,

washington 12

sauvignon blanc

villa maria, marlborough 15

chardonnay,

Jouis jadot, 'macon-villages

france 17

chardonnay,

elegance, california 17

White blend,

conundrum, california 19

red by the glass

pinot noir,
morpho helena, chile 10

merlot,
columbia crest, washington 10

cabernet sauvignon,
excelsior, south africa 15

shiraz,
grant burge, australia 15

tempranillo,
torres, ibericos, spain 17

malbec,
alta vista, argentina 17

sangiovese,
avivo, california 17

cabernet sauvignon,
elegance, california 19

red blend,
conundrum, california 19

pinot noir,
cherry tart, california 19

29 minutes ago, Debordo said:

We were on the Dec 10th sailing of the Ascent. I was very disappointed with the price increase for the wines and other drinks. We purchased a classic package as a gift for our friends we were traveling with as a treat for them.  The wine options were so small it was ridiculous. My husband and I were on the premium package as I enjoy Conundrum wine. Last year on the Beyond this was always in the premium package. This year I was charged $2.40 up charge. I always enjoyed the sommelier being generous with keeping my glass full of wine while I was on the package. This also is no longer true as they’d have to ask each time to verify I’m willing to pay the upcharge.
The reason I buy a package is for the convenience and as my husband is on medication and no longer can drink any alcohol, I’m definitely paying a premium. There really is no way I can justify the price with the amount of drinks I drink. Celebrity really should rethink these upcharges as I have decided to no longer purchase a package and just pay as I go. I’ll be spending much less so Celebrity will be missing out on their profit from me.  

Truth!  We have an upcoming cruise on Ascent.  The day I have to start to pay for an upgrade (and sign a little paper) for pretty pedestrian wines will be the final time I purchase an alcohol package.  How utterly annoying and ridiculous. Be careful what you ask for, Celebrity!  You may be destroying the alcohol package programs you created to increase revenue and it may backfire.

• Like 3

I bet it’ll be the poor sommeliers and bar staff who suffer the abuse for this upcharging whilst the brave managers hide behind their desks and accept the backslaps for making a few dollars more for the company.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Truth!  We have an upcoming cruise on Ascent.  The day I have to start to pay for an upgrade (and sign a little paper) for pretty pedestrian wines will be the final time I purchase an alcohol package.  How utterly annoying and ridiculous. Be careful what you ask for, Celebrity!  You may be destroying the alcohol package programs you created to increase revenue and it may backfire.

It seems from recent posts that, at least in the Retreat, they tell you about the upcharge before serving the wine but no slips to sign.  

• Like 1