X Newbie, Looking for Helpful Tips

Hydro ergo

Hello!

I've cruised a lot of the message boards on here, but unlike many other lines, I haven't found much in the way of "helpful tips and things you don't want to miss" for Celebrity.  Hoping I can get some of that here!  I've cruised on several other lines, many times, but wanted to try something different this year for my 40th bday at the end of February.  I'm looking for any type of "can't miss" things around the ship or maybe some things that are unique to Celebrity. I'll be sailing on Reflection.  In addition to general feedback, I do have a few specific questions in mind:

1. I've always wanted to do a behind-the-scenes tour but haven't yet on any line.  What is the experience like on Celebrity?

2. What are dining options for breakfast and lunch?  Is the MDR open? 

3. One thing I love about Virgin is that they are SO EASY to reach.  I've tried Celebrity's "chat" option several times, at different times of the day and week, only to be told that the agents are unavailable.  What are hold times like if I call and what is the customer service like?  I'm curious about trying to get waitlisted for anytime dining (vs. the current 830 slot that I'm not enthused about).

4. I've heard mixed things about boarding times.  Are they enforced? Should I stay up to midnight 45 days out to get a good embark time?  For context, I have a concierge class room and am sailing out of Port Everglades.

5. What are the actual perks of concierge class?  It was literally the same price as verandah when I booked, so I figured why not.  From what I have read it sounds like what is shown on the website isn't always what you get and it appears to vary widely person to person, ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary (maybe that answers my question! 😂)

6. We have four sea days.  Any recommendations on things to attend around the ship?  I'm a trivia nerd and expect there will be plenty of that, but anything else entertainment wise that is interesting or fun?

7. Is there afternoon tea? (always a favorite of mine when sailing Princess)

8.  How about any neat spots around the ship?  I love finding those great little nooks or spots with something different.

9.  And finally...anything to avoid??? 🤣

Like I said, any feedback is welcome.  I'm looking forward to adding Celebrity into the mix.

Cheers!

The pastries at Cafe Al Bacio are no charge, coffee has a charge but you do not need to order coffee to enjoy the pastries.

Dining room, buffet and spa cafe open for breakfast.  Dining room is open for lunch on sea days but not port days.  Port days lunch is buffet, Mast Grill and Spa Cafe.

if they have Liars Club offered ( generally 1x a cruise at 10:15 or 10:30). fun.

Did playing bocce on the lawn.  There are some great chairs on the edge of the lawn near the Sunset bar that are nice to sit and read, siip a drink and gaze at the Ocean. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

I'll be sailing on Reflection.  In addition to general feedback, I do have a few specific questions in mind:

2. The MDR room is always open for breakfast. The MDR is open for lunch on port days. Lunch is also offered for Concierge Class on embarkation day. Limited menu and time for that day. 

9. Negative comments on CC. Draw your own conclusion once you've sailed with Celebrity and on the Reflection. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

Hello!

I've cruised a lot of the message boards on here, but unlike many other lines, I haven't found much in the way of "helpful tips and things you don't want to miss" for Celebrity.  Hoping I can get some of that here!  I've cruised on several other lines, many times, but wanted to try something different this year for my 40th bday at the end of February.  I'm looking for any type of "can't miss" things around the ship or maybe some things that are unique to Celebrity. I'll be sailing on Reflection.  In addition to general feedback, I do have a few specific questions in mind:

1. I've always wanted to do a behind-the-scenes tour but haven't yet on any line.  What is the experience like on Celebrity?

very good.  Every one I know who has done it recommends it

MDR open every day for breakfast, sea days for lunch 

3. One thing I love about Virgin is that they are SO EASY to reach.  I've tried Celebrity's "chat" option several times, at different times of the day and week, only to be told that the agents are unavailable.  What are hold times like if I call and what is the customer service like?  I'm curious about trying to get waitlisted for anytime dining (vs. the current 830 slot that I'm not enthused about).

not easy to get ahold of them.  Wait until you are on board for best results

4. I've heard mixed things about boarding times.  Are they enforced? Should I stay up to midnight 45 days out to get a good embark time?  For context, I have a concierge class room and am sailing out of Port Everglades.

I think you mean arrival times.  If you want the earliest possible time you might need to be ready to jump on it when it opens.  As to enforcement, that varies cruise to cruise

5. What are the actual perks of concierge class?  It was literally the same price as verandah when I booked, so I figured why not.  From what I have read it sounds like what is shown on the website isn't always what you get and it appears to vary widely person to person, ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary (maybe that answers my question! 😂)

extra Captain’s Club points for one. 

6. We have four sea days.  Any recommendations on things to attend around the ship?  I'm a trivia nerd and expect there will be plenty of that, but anything else entertainment wise that is interesting or fun?

7. Is there afternoon tea? (always a favorite of mine when sailing Princess)

head to the buffet for afternoon savories or Cafe Al Bacio for sweets

20 minutes ago, doghog said:

2. The MDR room is always open for breakfast. The MDR is open for lunch on port days. Lunch is also offered for Concierge Class on embarkation day. Limited menu and time for that day. 

9. Negative comments on CC. Draw your own conclusion once you've sailed with Celebrity and on the Reflection. 

2. Should be the MDR is open for lunch on sea days and not port days. 

• Thanks 1

Celebrity doesn’t do afternoon tea.  That is one thing I really miss from other cruise lines.

As was said enforcement of boarding times is hit or miss.

I have not sailed Concierge however I think you might get a departure day lunch.

I think Celebrity is OK however this is a trying time for mass market cruise lines and they are trying various things to get costs down.  Some of the things they are doing may not impact you however you never know.

I happen to care about coffee and have good experience with the espresso drinks at Al Baccio my wife likes the Chai Latte.  I think it is worth the extra money.

I personally detest the regular coffee they served last year in the MDR and buffet.  So much so that I am bringing my own ground coffee aboard for my upcoming cruise.

• Thanks 1

Following as we are going on our first X cruise next month. We will be sailing on the Ascent in a Sunset Veranda cabin. Looking forward to trying something new as we normally sail on Princess but also have experience with RC, NCL and Carnival.

12 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Following as we are going on our first X cruise next month. We will be sailing on the Ascent in a Sunset Veranda cabin. Looking forward to trying something new as we normally sail on Princess but also have experience with RC, NCL and Carnival.

FYI. Since you've cruised with RC.  

image.thumb.png.b95e73e0be33d5cf6d047940cf0b2684.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Celebrity doesn’t do afternoon tea.  That is one thing I really miss from other cruise lines.

I have seen afternoon tea available at the oceanview cafe - although it is self serve.  Included Scones, Jams, Cream (whipped?)... 

Not sure if this is every cruise....

@Hydro ergo - worth checking out...  It was ~330pm if I recall.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

Like I said, any feedback is welcome.  I'm looking forward to adding Celebrity into the mix.

Cheers!

20 hours ago, doghog said:

For that matter, ignore the positive comments on CC also!  For every "never again" X customer there is an X "cheerleader".  Filter out the opinions, stick with the factual information that you are looking for and form your own judgment about the pros and cons of Celebrity and your cruise once you've sailed.

Fair winds and following seas!  🛳️

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alexandria said:

For every "never again" X customer there is an X "cheerleader".  Filter out the opinions, stick with the factual information that you are looking for and form your own judgment about the pros and cons of Celebrity and your cruise once you've sailed.

I value the opinions here, but I value the information that's shared here more - the more recent and relevant it is, the more I value it.  I weigh all this stuff along with my wants, needs, likes, and dislikes, and form my own opinions.

• Like 2

@Hydro ergo:  I'll go through your questions and answer the questions that I can.  Keep in mind that my opinions are no more valuable than anyone else's - perhaps less, because I've sailed less than many here:

• I try to make time for the port lectures.  I pay more attention to the ones that are held by actual experts or residents of the area rather than the ones from the shopping department, but both can be informative and valuable.
  • Celebrity shows and entertainment can be hit and miss.  The shows I've gone to in the main theater have been good, but I don't often go to them.  YMMV.
  • I'm always on the search for good spots to read and relax.  On the M-class ships I like Cellar Masters and the area immediately past the shops in the mornings.  I'll defer to others on good spots on the other ship classes (like yours).
  • I can't think of anything in particular to avoid on Celebrity... maybe the buffet early on days in port?  I still do this, so perhaps I haven't learned my lesson yet. 🙃

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

• Thanks 1

We also have our first Celebrity cruise booked for this May.  Here is a post from me describing my customer service experience with Celebrity.  I am not going to let this interfere with us having a great time on the cruise, but it certainly does make me question whether I will book another cruise with them.

Have a wonderful cruise and Happy early Birthday!

22 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

You pick a check in time   Not a boarding time.   I stayed up til midnight    and checked again in the morning--    the early times were still listed so I wasted that time.    No need to stay up

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, doghog said:

FYI. Since you've cruised with RC.  

image.thumb.png.b95e73e0be33d5cf6d047940cf0b2684.png

How nice this is that X and RC are doing this tier match.  I wish Holland/Carnival/Princess would do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexandria said:

For that matter, ignore the positive comments on CC also!  For every "never again" X customer there is an X "cheerleader".  Filter out the opinions, stick with the factual information that you are looking for and form your own judgment about the pros and cons of Celebrity and your cruise once you've sailed.

Fair winds and following seas!  🛳️

We don't book or book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others experiences or opinions. Positive or negative. 

22 minutes ago, serene56 said:

You pick a check in time   Not a boarding time.   I stayed up til midnight    and checked again in the morning--    the early times were still listed so I wasted that time.    No need to stay up

Yeah, I should have said check-in time.  I know that check in and boarding are not the same thing.  That was my miscommunication.  I've sailed plenty, just not on Celebrity.  Was wondering more about arriving at the terminal.  thank you!

Thank you everyone for the comments.

I definitely don't book a cruise based on reviews from others.  I wasn't really looking for that type of information.  I was looking more for things like...

On Princess I really enjoy Movies Under the Stars

On Virgin I really enjoy the no kids experience and the most-included model

On Princess, try to get afternoon tea once

On such and such a ship, this is a great place to sit and read a book

I feel like there was a lot more of that type of discussion pre-pandemic.  Post-pandemic everything seems to be about cutbacks.  And yeah, I get it, I'm frustrated with that too, but I'm still going on vacation and I like to look for the positives.

Customer service is hit or miss with just about every aspect of travel right now, so I'm taking all of that with a grain of salt (cruise and land vacations).  

Thank you all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

Thank you everyone for the comments.

I definitely don't book a cruise based on reviews from others.  I wasn't really looking for that type of information.  I was looking more for things like...

On Princess I really enjoy Movies Under the Stars

On Virgin I really enjoy the no kids experience and the most-included model

On Princess, try to get afternoon tea once

On such and such a ship, this is a great place to sit and read a book

I feel like there was a lot more of that type of discussion pre-pandemic.  Post-pandemic everything seems to be about cutbacks.  And yeah, I get it, I'm frustrated with that too, but I'm still going on vacation and I like to look for the positives.

Customer service is hit or miss with just about every aspect of travel right now, so I'm taking all of that with a grain of salt (cruise and land vacations).  

Thank you all. 

As I said before there is no formal afternoon tea like the do on Cunard, Princess and if I remember correctly Oceania.  Yea and scones in the Oceanview Cafe doesn’t count.  The closest you will get to that on Celebrity is Al Baccio.  There is a cost for the tea (not the pastries) if you don’t have one of the drink packages,  it is a higher quality tea then at the MDR or buffet.

At least on the Constellation there were outdoor movies at various times of the day which we liked if the weather was good. At least on the cruise we were on they constantly juggled the schedule for the movies so you should update the app daily to see if the movie changes.

I have sailed Princess quite a while ago and from what I remember they are similar. Although I get the impression that Celebrity is slightly less formal.

Fyi,  DO Not prejudge the cruise by the customer service pre-cruise or the the quality of IT,  just keep checking the website to make sure there aren’t mysterious balance due amounts for your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @LB_NJ, I feel bad---I wasn't expecting people to respond item by item to that most recent post.  I was just throwing out random examples of the type of stuff I used to see here of CC pre-pandemic.  

And like I said, customer service is terrible all around right now.  If I prejudged everything by that standard, I would never leave my house. 

• Like 1