Medallion Necklace - how easy to use it

Eno

Looking to order my medallion and looking at accessories.  Have another cruise booked for next year so thought I might order the necklace.

Not sure how this would work if I have to place the medallion on anything or tap to use it.  I see that my door would open if I am just near it but what

about getting back on the ship from an excursion or if I want to order a drink at a bar, or purchase something in a shop.

The room door opens as you approach when wearing the lanyard/necklace (my husband kept it in his pocket on a key fob, and it was 50-50).

You need to pull out the medallion to get on and off the ship. It was easy with the lanyard they gave me upon embarkation (it reached).

When ordering a drink, we were asked for our room #. I think once in (nearly) three weeks I had to hold up the medallion.

When going to the MDR we pulled it out for our reservation (at least I did). We did not pull it out in the specialty restaurants, they just asked for our room #.

While embarkation was a PITA (we had to pick up our medallions) actually using the medallion was easy-peasy.

I can share my experience. I had the bangle bracelet, which I really liked and had used on a couple of cruises, when it broke on one of my recent cruises. Unfortunately, the kiosk was out of bracelets, so they offered me the necklace instead which I ended up using for the remainder of that two week cruise. In all honesty, I hated it. While it worked well enough to open our stateroom door and at some bars where the sensors picked it up, it was terrible for getting on and off the ship or at any point when someone needed to scan my medallion like at the stores, or at the buffet when ordering drinks. Either they had to bring the scanner up to my neck, or I had to lean way over to touch it the scanner because the chain is soooo short. I don't know what they were thinking with the design. If it was long, like a lanyard, it would have been much better - but it was a giant pain and actually made me feel awkward and uncomfortable. I ended up purchasing a new bangle bracelet on our next cruise that I am still using and love - it is way easier and they look very nice. My advice - skip the necklace!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Eno said:

Looking to order my medallion and looking at accessories.  Have another cruise booked for next year so thought I might order the necklace.

Not sure how this would work if I have to place the medallion on anything or tap to use it.  I see that my door would open if I am just near it but what

about getting back on the ship from an excursion or if I want to order a drink at a bar, or purchase something in a shop.

I have it and don’t like it to get off/on the ship or to take it off for crew if they need to scan.  I use the bracelet most of the time.

If you look at the ad for it, it says great for formal night, or something like that.  True.

I necklace would be cumbersome getting on and off the ship since it has to be tapped.  I would opt for the bracelet first.  There are many air tag holders that will work with the medallion.  I have one I use with my watch band.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I can share my experience. I had the bangle bracelet, which I really liked and had used on a couple of cruises

I have the bracelet too and I really like it. I've used it for 3 to 4 cruises so far.

• Like 1

I have been wearing my medallion on a long silver chain from my own many silver chains. The necklace that Princess sells to hold the medallion is only 18 inches long (I believe I read) and the chain attaches to the sides which I think could easily break. If you have any necklaces longer than that already, compare to the length of the included lanyard and see how you like it .Mine is 20 inches I think and I am kinda short! After a few cruises,because I prefer a chain to a lanyard, i bought a package of hooks in the jewelry making section to hang the medallion on my chain so it doesn't flip over. I like it, however I decided to order the bangle bracelet (should arrive for my upcoming cruise) and see how I like that too.

I’ll put in another vote for the bangle bracelet. I much prefer it to a lanyard (reminds me of being at a conference, not on holiday) and it kept my medallion on me without having to have pockets or a purse along to hold it.

• Like 1

I like the different comments about the necklace/bracelet medallion. Although this will be new for me, I had already thought about the bracelet before I read these comments. My question. Is there a difference in price between the necklace and bracelet?

3 hours ago, beshears said:

I like the different comments about the necklace/bracelet medallion. Although this will be new for me, I had already thought about the bracelet before I read these comments. My question. Is there a difference in price between the necklace and bracelet?

The pendant says from $25, the bracelet from $45, the sports bands from $10 and the sustainable bands from $17. I'd suggest just wait until you get on the ship, then go to kiosk where they sell the accessories and you can try them out and get what you like best. Just go early as some do sell out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

I’ll put in another vote for the bangle bracelet. I much prefer it to a lanyard (reminds me of being at a conference, not on holiday) and it kept my medallion on me without having to have pockets or a purse along to hold it.

I agree 100% and have used it on over 50 days of cruising since I bought it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cjpj said:

The pendant says from $25, the bracelet from $45, the sports bands from $10 and the sustainable bands from $17. I'd suggest just wait until you get on the ship, then go to kiosk where they sell the accessories and you can try them out and get what you like best. Just go early as some do sell out.

It is a good idea to see it in person, however the bracelet was $10 USD more onboard than it was ordering it before you sail.

The necklace is on sale for $25 (formerly $35) probably because of complaints that it is difficult ugly to use.

Just something to think about. Good luck with your decision!

I already wear seabands and an apple watch so not sure if I have room for a bracelet, although I really like them.  Going on a 7 night cruise and if we like it another 7 night for next year so don't want to spend alot.   Might just go with the necklace and switch to a lanyard when off the ship.  

I think the necklace is beautiful for times like formal night, but it is not practical. We use the sport vans, and they work really well. When you ding on and off the ship, you have to physically touch or get super close to at least the machine to receive the signal from your medallion, which would be mighty difficult with an atlas. if you were going to get the necklace, I recommend also getting a practical accessory for regular regular times. 

5 minutes ago, MissiCruzs said:

Prices are higher on the ship.  Necklaces are $30, bracelets are $54.  Buy before you get on the ship.  I love my bracelet.

Prices below on the Emerald last month.

20231202_142814.jpg

Edited by MissiCruzs
  • Thanks 1

For some reason the bangle bracelet isn’t an option to order. I can order a necklace (gold or silver) or two different types of sport bands. 

I too took a sterling chain I had and added a large figure 8 clasp to it. Then I keep the medallion in its clear plastic holder added to the figure 8 clasp.

The photo shows it doubled but I actually almost always wear it at full length for the usage reasons already mentioned. I really like adding other chains with it so the medallion is less prominent.

IMG_5979.jpeg

I got a really nice necklace on Etsy which was lanyard-length. It worked perfectly! Give a search for 'princess medallion on Etsy and a lot of nice items come up.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:18 PM, Eno said:

We ordered watch type wristbands on Amazon, love them.  Easy for servers to scan versus having to get close and personal 😉

• Like 1

I purchased a dog collar air tag holder from Amazon.  It slips onto my Apple Watch band.  It’s always with me.  

Airtag Dog Collar Holder (2 Pack) SWINCHO Silicone GPS Tracker Case Anti-Lost Protective Air Tag Cat Collar Holder (Black&White)

Accessories may be slightly more expensive on the ship.  If you have the beverage package, do you still need to pay $10 for shipping the accessories?  And tax free on the ship.

9 hours ago, MissiCruzs said:

Prices are higher on the ship.  Necklaces are $30, bracelets are $54.  Buy before you get on the ship.  I love my bracelet.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:44 AM, Eno said:

I already wear seabands and an apple watch so not sure if I have room for a bracelet, although I really like them.  Going on a 7 night cruise and if we like it another 7 night for next year so don't want to spend alot.   Might just go with the necklace and switch to a lanyard when off the ship.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4

A lot of great information on this.  Will check the options mentioned and forgot that purchasing on ship, if I decide to, will be tax free.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:44 AM, Eno said:

I went unconventional and ordered Apple ID tag holders off of Amazon. I attached to a spiral ponytail holder to use as a wrist band. I hate lanyards around my next. My daughter purchased an Apple ID holder like the ones onboard for a fraction of the price. They also have holders that you can slide onto existing watch band. Good luck.

• Like 1

I ordered the carabiner clips because we have Apple watches but now I'm wondering about that version above that slides onto the same wristband. It seems like it would be in the way but there are lots of photos on Amazon posted by users and they seem happy. For $8 I might order them just in case.