“Music” on Beyond

natshala

Just off 11-night January 19. We had another enjoyable cruise. The demographic was a pleasant, older crowd. Why oh why the loud pulsating noise constantly? And they turn up the volume in the evening. Not classy at all. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, natshala said:

Just off 11-night January 19. We had another enjoyable cruise. The demographic was a pleasant, older crowd. Why oh why the loud pulsating noise constantly? And they turn up the volume in the evening. Not classy at all. 

Whereabouts on the ship?

Seems to be fleet wide unfortunately.

We were told on Solstice by the Musical Director - not the Cruise Director who was mute on the subject - they were under instruction from Miami to "ramp up the volume" in the evenings.

Occupational Health and Safety - no input regarding the dangerous to hearing levels consistently well above maximum safe level of 85 decibels.

We had discussions on board, noted in the post cruise survey and wrote to Celebrity. Part of the response to that included :

"Your feedback is important to us as a business, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on our ships, both Eclipse and Solstice.

The feedback has been reviewed by the executive team and appropriate actions will be taken."

It remains to be seen whether appropriate action has been or will be taken to have musical entertainment at enjoyable safe levels.

• Like 1

Been there, done that,  with X. 

Someone off the ship equates loud with better,  thinking it will create a party atmosphere &  lure a younger demographic  .. but that's  not true.

It  can damage hearing &  pushes people away.... we will be among them..other than the deck party .meant to be loud!

• Like 2

On Millie 2 weeks ago the music was at an acceptable level.  You could have conversations in the martini bar and pool areas...

This must be an E class thing.  M class is chill.  E class is party.

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Agree.  I found the music on board Summit in December at acceptable volumes.

I was on the same cruise and it was a pleasure meeting you.  I found the music content at the outside pool in the afternoon to be not what the average age of the people on board want to listen to.  I spoke to many folks who did not like the content of the music as well. Just my opinion and I did let them know my thoughts while on board and after in the survey.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, natshala said:

All the E class ships seem have to this problem.  The canned music in the martini bar was so loud on our 2 Apex cruises that we never stayed in the area more than a few minutes.  When it's so loud you can't hear each other talk without yelling it's not enjoyable at all.

Loud does not mean better....someone at X should realize this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, r2h2 said:

I was on the same cruise and it was a pleasure meeting you.  I found the music content at the outside pool in the afternoon to be not what the average age of the people on board want to listen to.  I spoke to many folks who did not like the content of the music as well. Just my opinion and I did let them know my thoughts while on board and after in the survey.

I did speak with another couple on board Summit that were not at all impressed with the house band.

Just now, Stem to Stern said:

I did speak with another couple on board Summit that were not at all impressed with the house band.

It wasn't the band as much as the DJ playing music that was loud and obnoxious.  It certainly was not what the most of us wanted to hear.  If it was my choice, 70's and 80's music would have been played at a lower decibel level.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

The constant noise is my single biggest issue with Celebrity. A times, the "music" in the hallways gets so loud you can't even have a conversation in your own cabin.

Have you been on other cruise lines? All the cruise lines are getting the same complaints. You can't even have a conversation with each other for to the volume. 

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Have you been on other cruise lines? All the cruise lines are getting the same complaints. You can't even have a conversation with each other for to the volume. 

Celebrity is the worst we've experienced.

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

All the cruise lines are getting the same complaints.

Maybe all the U.S. mass market cruise lines, but not all the cruise lines. That was probably the single best thing about our Silversea cruise last year - no muzak at all. And I don't recall any issues on Cunard either.

Edited by mahasamatman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Not on Oceania.  It was one of the lovely things about our sailing on the Vista in December. 

Royal?  Absolutely right...even worse.

16 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Celebrity is the worst we've experienced.

Maybe all the U.S. mass market cruise lines, but not all the cruise lines. That was probably the single best thing about our Silversea cruise last year - no muzak at all. And I don't recall any issues on Cunard either.

Well Thank you for letting us all know that there are 2 or 3 who do not. I only cruise U.S. Mass Market and MSC. 

Now I know where to go for peace and quiet. LOL

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have been over to the Princess board.  They don't seem to get nearly as many complaints as here.  On here people can enumerate what has been cut and what fees have been added.  Many cuts in service and food from my last cruise and more added fees.

We were on the Enchanted Princess for 22 days in the Med. Do NOT go into the Piazza just about anytime. They have dancing lessons, exercise classes, etc., almost all morning, then music at night.  Princess has added charges for Casual Dining such as Salty Dog, GiGi Pizza and other venues on other ships. I must be careful and say mostly all U.S. Mass Market lines and MSC have cut back and charging more for less. 

Edited by Oxo

Celebrity needs to train their music staff.  Train them to play music in accordance with the time of day. Nobody wants anything loud first thing in the morning, nor after 8pm, unless at a venue.  Some nice track walking music might be suitable before 11am.  Then you can amp it up with a little Bob Marley etc.  Work the crowd from there. Lunchtime to 3pm, a bit louder, as the crowd has a few cocktails in them, and should have loosened up some by then. Most important would be to teach them to choose song selections, by looking around and seeing the age group of the current cruisers.  When school is in session, and only a few young kids onboard, they need not play loud rapp music, or puh puh poker face, etc. Adjust accordingly.   Our trips are mainly when kids are in school, for the most part, but we enjoy most music...BUT not overly loud, as a couple Royal trips have been in the past.   

• Like 2

I didn’t realize the “music” is pretty much an e class problem and, frankly, was thinking about canceling my three upcoming cruises on Ascent. We avoided the Grand Plaza, especially at night, bc we couldn’t carry on a conversation.

Maybe I’ll try to move my deposits to S class ships. Hmm.

5 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Celebrity needs to train their music staff.  Train them to play music in accordance with the time of day. Nobody wants anything loud first thing in the morning, nor after 8pm, unless at a venue.  Some nice track walking music might be suitable before 11am.  Then you can amp it up with a little Bob Marley etc.  Work the crowd from there. Lunchtime to 3pm, a bit louder, as the crowd has a few cocktails in them, and should have loosened up some by then. Most important would be to teach them to choose song selections, by looking around and seeing the age group of the current cruisers.  When school is in session, and only a few young kids onboard, they need not play loud rapp music, or puh puh poker face, etc. Adjust accordingly.   Our trips are mainly when kids are in school, for the most part, but we enjoy most music...BUT not overly loud, as a couple Royal trips have been in the past.   

7 hours ago, r2h2 said:

22 minutes ago, natshala said:

Great suggestions! Gear music to the pax. As it is now, it seems only the Activity Staff enjoys the selections. They’re mostly 20-somethings.

Exactly so. Just off the Silly and it was atrocious, around the pool, in the Sky Lounge and 3 indistinguishable channels on silent disco. We are boomers, as were about 80% of the pax, but the young  DJs/music staff all seemed to play mostly what THEY listen to*. We are huge music buffs; it was such a shame to only hear, at the FOUR silent discos, Pitbull and yelling music. The 2 live bands played classic rock (translation: all Beatles & nuttin' BUT da Beatles) and "Motown" (all Stevie Wonder, weirdly).  They did play the standard boring trio of YMCA, Dancing Queen, and I Will Survive at the white--I mean, Full Moon--party. First time in many years we didn't hear a fave,  Uptown Funk, once... What ended up being our favorite dance venue was the always empty Quasar! They piped in a random selection of 60s-70s pop--plus some Cars and Talking Heads! Apparently there's karaoke in there from time to time, but we didn't attend.

*I actually fantasized an entire lecture for that staff on how to pay attention to demographics and do research on how to choose fitting music for those pax... Then I let it go.

PS: the best DJ on a cruise ship so far was DJ Dragon from Serbia, on the Edge in 2021. He didn't just scrape the surface of genres and music history, and his own added beats ADDED to the music.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 2

A good dj will have various genres available..appropriate for the time place and audience.   

We like most music other than rap and its progeny.. nothing anti women, nothing  promoting violence or drugs!

.How about some Reggae/ Marley,   Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues,  Tom Petty,  Jimmy Buffet,  mowtown, country, blue grass ,  folk,  rock, jazz and blues..???  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hcat said:

A good dj will have various genres available..appropriate for the time place and audience.   

We like most music other than rap and its progeny.. nothing anti women, nothing  promoting violence or drugs!

.How about some Reggae/ Marley,   Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues,  Tom Petty,  Jimmy Buffet,  mowtown, country, blue grass ,  folk,  rock, jazz and blues..???  

Right..Good variety...And to be honest, and probably goin to get flak from this, but the pretty girl from the Philippines singing Sweet Home Alabama, is just not cutting it at a loud volume.    

• Haha 1