Princess plus v Princess Premier

sandancer

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

You just have to ask and they will bring you the wine list.  Who told you that  you can't look at it.?

Asked for a wine list in MDR on Grand Princess quite recently. They brought me a list of generic wines that "fit" the Plus package. No names, no vintners, just varietal names.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Asked for a wine list in MDR on Grand Princess quite recently. They brought me a list of generic wines that "fit" the Plus package. No names, no vintners, just varietal names.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in May and the Discovery in December. We always get the Plus package. We received a wine list when asked in the Specialty restaurants and in whichever main dining room we asked and received a huge notebook wine list. On the Discovery a sommelier came every night to help suggest something. So yes there are complete wine lists in the MDR.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lljost said:

We were on the Caribbean Princess in May and the Discovery in December. We always get the Plus package. We received a wine list when asked in the Specialty restaurants and in whichever main dining room we asked and received a huge notebook wine list. On the Discovery a sommelier came every night to help suggest something. So yes there are complete wine lists in the MDR.

That has also been our experience as well. We generally eat in the SD restaurants for the peace and quiet, and have been surprised that the wine lists in the SD restaurants we've been to (Sabatini's, CG, and La Mer) have been absolutely tiny compared to the huge wine lists in the MDRs. I wonder what would happen if, in an SD restaurant, we asked for a wine that was not on their list, but came from the much more comprehensive MDR wine list?  Even if they would fetch it for us, it would probably take ages for it to arrive.  We're back on the Discovery in a few weeks, maybe I'll give that a try ;o)

And yes, on our last trip, on the Discovery last October, having a dedicated "sommelier" walking around filling up our glasses was a wonderful improvement is service.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sadly, our next ship - Discovery Princess - doesn't have Vines. GAH!!!

I used to feel the same way about the Discovery but have cruised on her quite a bit lately and the GastroPub bar and the Crown Grill Bar have some wonderful selections of wine.  it was even better than some of the wines we found at Vines last year.  
We even found a really nice Chardonnay at the Princess Live Bar a couple of weeks ago.  Hopefully, they will be going all out with the wines and liquor ordered for your cruise on the Discovery.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nini said:

What was the Zinfandel that you liked?

Not the person who mentioned the Zin but they have a great Seghesio Zin for what I reemeber as only being $1 over the $15 plus package limit.  
I also think their Grgich Hills Merlot, for around $18 is a great wine.  

Their Caymus can is lovely but I believe it’s now $28 a glass.  It’s worth it to have once in a while but not if the bottle has been sitting open for a great deal of time.  We splurge when we see it’s just been opened within the hour.  

• Like 1

We feel the premier package is definitely worth it on the Royal class ships due to all their casual eating venues.  We always get at least the plus package but question the value of upgrading to the premier package on the Grand / Crown class ships.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We feel the premier package is definitely worth it on the Royal class ships due to all their casual eating venues.  We always get at least the plus package but question the value of upgrading to the premier package on the Grand / Crown class ships.  

Several Grand class ship's have as much casual dining as Royal class ships, at least three venues.. Emerald has 4, with Vines, Salty Dog, Planks and Steamers... It's more ship dependent than ship class dependent.Go figure...

10 hours ago, beshears said:

If I do the Princess Premier package, will that help me get a better seat, or make sure I get a seat in the Princess Live Theater? I know is is smaller than the larger theater, and there will be some things going on there that I want to make sure I see.

Nope. Reserved seating is only in main theater and only for full production shows, not guest entertainers .

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

Several Grand class ship's have as much casual dining as Royal class ships, at least three venues.. Emerald has 4, with Vines, Salty Dog, Planks and Steamers... It's more ship dependent than ship class dependent.Go figure...

In my many Princess cruises, I’ve never even seen Planks or Steamers.  That doesn’t mean they don’t pop up on occasion, I’ve just never noticed them, nor have I looked for them.  To me, it wouldn’t be worth it as while I love most all seafood, I don’t much care for mussels.  And there is nothing on the Planks menu that interests me.  
I absolutely love the Salty Dog GastroPub, Alfredos and the Sushi place, which the combination of those three are only available on the Royal class ships .. maybe on the new Sun, too?  That combination makes a 7-10 night cruise quite appealing without ever having to go to the MDR.  

I really think they should allow those with the premier (or plus package for two times) to order pizza for no charge when there is no Alfredo’s or GiGi’s onboard.  That is just my wish but I certainly don’t make the rules.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, memoak said:

It’s been 3 months my memory doesn’t go that far back 

LOL! Well, if it comes to you, then we all would be interested. I trust you have dug out from all of the snow and ice! Our daughters and SIL's missed a bit of work and grandkids a bit of school.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I used to feel the same way about the Discovery but have cruised on her quite a bit lately and the GastroPub bar and the Crown Grill Bar have some wonderful selections of wine.  it was even better than some of the wines we found at Vines last year.  
We even found a really nice Chardonnay at the Princess Live Bar a couple of weeks ago.  Hopefully, they will be going all out with the wines and liquor ordered for your cruise on the Discovery.  

What is the Chardonnay you discovered? My go-to white is Chardonnay.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not the person who mentioned the Zin but they have a great Seghesio Zin for what I reemeber as only being $1 over the $15 plus package limit.  
I also think their Grgich Hills Merlot, for around $18 is a great wine.  

Their Caymus can is lovely but I believe it’s now $28 a glass.  It’s worth it to have once in a while but not if the bottle has been sitting open for a great deal of time.  We splurge when we see it’s just been opened within the hour.  

Actually, I enjoy a red after it has been breathing for a while. I am amazed at the difference.

I have heard so much about Caymus and will give it a try.

18 minutes ago, nini said:

Actually, I enjoy a red after it has been breathing for a while. I am amazed at the difference.

I have heard so much about Caymus and will give it a try.

Yes, indeed.  It should breathe anywhere from 30 minutes up to 4 hours.  If it’s been sitting on the shelf after being open for a couple of days, it’s just not worth the $28 a glass.  

The Caymus is delish! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nini said:

LOL! Well, if it comes to you, then we all would be interested. I trust you have dug out from all of the snow and ice! Our daughters and SIL's missed a bit of work and grandkids a bit of school.

Took the train down to SF no ice down here waiting for shuttle to the pier. When left Sunday still lots of ice. Boarding the Crown this afternoon 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nini said:

What is the Chardonnay you discovered? My go-to white is Chardonnay.

Well, of course, Rombauer is the best and they had that in stock by the glass as recently as last July.  Now, it’s only sold by the bottle.  It’s been bought out by Gallo, so maybe they just don’t contract with them for their wines.  Or maybe those, like me, that love it so much don’t order anything else.  
We found a lovely bottle of Hartford Chardonnay at Princess Live.  We searched the whole cruise for that and only found it on the last day, which was our first time at that bar.  
I also like Mer Soleil but the one with the Yellow label, not the ‘Silver’.  I like a heavier, oaky and somewhat buttery Chardonnay.  The Flowers is without those attributes, it’s more along the lines of a Sauvignon Blanc to me, crisp and without much character.  The Staggs Leap, Hands of Time, is decent but still nowhere near as good as the Hartford Chardonnay.  It used to be on the Plus menu .. not sure what it now or if they even have it.  

16 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Have you done this recently? and on Discovery? 

Not on Discovery but on the 5 ships I have sailed on with the Plus package.

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

In my many Princess cruises, I’ve never even seen Planks or Steamers.  That doesn’t mean they don’t pop up on occasion, I’ve just never noticed them, nor have I looked for them.  To me, it wouldn’t be worth it as while I love most all seafood, I don’t much care for mussels.  And there is nothing on the Planks menu that interests me.  
I absolutely love the Salty Dog GastroPub, Alfredos and the Sushi place, which the combination of those three are only available on the Royal class ships .. maybe on the new Sun, too?  That combination makes a 7-10 night cruise quite appealing without ever having to go to the MDR.  

I really think they should allow those with the premier (or plus package for two times) to order pizza for no charge when there is no Alfredo’s or GiGi’s onboard.  That is just my wish but I certainly don’t make the rules.  

We all have different opinions....we liked Planks and Steamers when we have dined there, but it's been awhile. We really dislike Salty Dog...thought the food was marginal and a "free beer" for $18? We get free beer with the Plus package. Alfredos is good and the Sushi place is great!

39 minutes ago, nini said:

Yeah, I had Princess Premier on my last cruise and paid the difference for the Caymus. It was worth it. I'll need to ask when they opened the bottle. One of my favorite Southern California restaurants has a Coravin for wine by the glass. As the wine is flowing into the glass, an inert gas (nitrogen?) is added to the bottle. That keeps the oxygen out and the wine fresh. 

Edited by Wonders By Wallis
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, indeed.  It should breathe anywhere from 30 minutes up to 4 hours.  If it’s been sitting on the shelf after being open for a couple of days, it’s just not worth the $28 a glass.  

The Caymus is delish! 

Thanks. You are so correct. I am such a snob, that at home, I run my red through the "filter/ aerator" and then let it breathe in the lip-less wine glass. Yum!

Thanks for the Caymus recommendation. Do you purchase it on land anywhere?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

Took the train down to SF no ice down here waiting for shuttle to the pier. When left Sunday still lots of ice. Boarding the Crown this afternoon 

YAY! Have a great time.

14 hours ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

I fell in love with this at my CG steak dinner. 

It's one of my favorite Cabs in our price range.  There are a few other cabs I love but have only drank them when they were gifted to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

Yeah, I had Princess Premier on my last cruise and paid the difference for the Caymus. It was worth it. I'll need to ask when they opened the bottle. One of my favorite Southern California restaurants has a Coravin for wine by the glass. As the wine is flowing into the glass, an inert gas (nitrogen?) is added to the bottle. That keeps the oxygen out and the wine fresh. 

What restaurant?