cruising during spring break??

cthrn27

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Absolutely.  All it takes is for a partying 20something to book the rooms.  Chaperones can only do so much to control drunk 20 year olds.  Heck, some parents can't control their kids or chose not to.

If you are the responsible adult and your 20 yrs old are found drinking, you are all getting off the next port.  I have never seen "spring breakers" on cruise ships or even at WDW since they aren't welcome whereas the actual party beaches welcome them.  

• Like 1

Our public schools where I am in Long Island have spring break the week of April 21st.  they have off 2 days for Easter holy days at the end of March. 
Easter is much earlier than Passover this year.

Most of our cruises have been during Spring break in March or April in the Caribbean. The ships are full, lively and fun. The bars are busy. The pool is crowded. The ports are active. 
I’ve also cruised in May to the Caribbean and it felt like a week at a retirement community. 
We preferred the spring break cruises but it’s not for everyone. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Most College breakers need to be traveling with responsible adults.  It isn't like 8 20 yrs old can book a cheap interior and drink til they puke onboard but they can do that on land.  

Don’t they just need friends 21+ to travel with? My college kids are 21, 21 and 22.

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you are the responsible adult and your 20 yrs old are found drinking, you are all getting off the next port.  I have never seen "spring breakers" on cruise ships or even at WDW since they aren't welcome whereas the actual party beaches welcome them.  

That's true.  I have seen "young adults" drink on the ship, but not to rowdiness.  I'm assuming they're 21+.  But I have seen lots of drinking on port beaches.  Also, lets not forget there is a lot of booze smuggling going on.  We avoid cruising during spring break season, but I've read horror stories from those who have.

Edited by Butterbean1000

Once our children were grown,  and Patti retired from teaching, we will never cruise during spring break, summer, and holidays again. Been there and done that many times because that was the only choice we had. Things change as you get older! 😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Don’t they just need friends 21+ to travel with? My college kids are 21, 21 and 22.

Everyone needs to be over 21.  Under 21, need someone 25+ except for specific situations.  

We cruise Spring Beach every year but with our teenage children.  I like the more "lively" atmosphere and the kids meet more friends etc.  But if I did not have kids with me or I was looking for a quiet vacation, I would not cruise during Spring Break.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Everyone needs to be over 21.  Under 21, need someone 25+ except for specific situations.  

Right, and students generally turn 21 junior year in college. My newly 21 year olds are going to Florence and Copenhagen for spring break (separately, different breaks) so hopefully they’ll do more than just party.

Spring break is typically early March (colleges) through to mid-April (elementary/middle/high school). We have cruised often in April and love it. Before having our daughter in school, we would book after mid-April to early May. School breaks are usually over and prices come down. Weather in the Caribbean is also ideal during that time! Go for it!

In some of the ports the drinking age is 18. We were in Mexico one time and I noticed my son's armband was the same as mine. When I asked about it they said 18 is the drinking age and over 18 all have the same bands. Problem was, my son was barely 16! I do not have an issue with drinking, I'm a drinker. But I do have an issue with underage drinking and anyone that gets drunk to the point of fighting and being out of control.

9 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Once our children were grown,  and Patti retired from teaching, we will never cruise during spring break, summer, and holidays again. Been there and done that many times because that was the only choice we had. Things change as you get older! 😁

My daughter works in the school system and the only time she can cruise is spring break and summer.  We won't cruised during those times which is a shame because we would love to cruise with them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

My daughter works in the school system and the only time she can cruise is spring break and summer.  We won't cruised during those times which is a shame because we would love to cruise with them.

Seems a bit extreme...its not even that bad...😅

• Like 2

I think as long as you pick your itinerary judiciously, you should be okay cruising during this season.

I don't consider 4-night long weekend cruises on Carnival in general, but especially not during spring break for example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dabomb6608 said:

Seems a bit extreme...its not even that bad...😅

Not interested at all cruising spring break.  We cruised once in the summer for a girls trip.  There were two hurricanes we dodged and we didn't know until 2 days before the cruise if they were going to have to cancel or go to different ports which we were not interested in.  Besides, cruising in the colder months gives a nice break to the sun and fun.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 6:50 PM, TN Roz said:

We did a Spring Break (mid March) several years ago and said never again. We were on a 7 day on a new ship and it was very crowded and very rowdy. Not just on the ship, but in port, also. We always go to Mr. Sanchos while in Cozumel and it was almost impossible to get a drink due to the servers being so busy with the teens and young adult Spring Breakers. 

We tried Nachi Cocom once, instead of our usual Sanchos or Paradise. It was more peaceful, less crowded, laid back.  We'll definitely go again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JourneyMan89 said:

We tried Nachi Cocom once, instead of our usual Sanchos or Paradise. It was more peaceful, less crowded, laid back.  We'll definitely go again.

Nachi is our go to when we're in Cozumel.   We strayed once to Sanchos, never again.