Windjammer for dinner?

We have early fixed dining in the MDR, which we love, but with the menu changes and fewer vegetarian options, on our last cruise, we ended up for second dinner in the MDR several times. We'd grab our Freestyle cups and just hang out with some snacks and watch out over the sports court.

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Of course you may encounter the seagull mentality we had on our December 2022 Voyager cruise out of San Juan where the WJ was a literally feeding frenzy.  We saw a large family take the entire bowl of shrimp and bring it to their table where the relatives literally dove in.  Same cruise we also saw people take the chocolate display sticks and put them in their bags, and on the morning we disembarked, people dumping teabags, sugar packets, cups and silverware in bags.  Now mind you in 34 cruises and about 8 out of San Juan, this was a first and only.

Wow, that is appalling. 

Just now, jbrinkm said:

We have early fixed dining in the MDR, which we love, but with the menu changes and fewer vegetarian options, on our last cruise, we ended up for second dinner in the MDR several times. We'd grab our Freestyle cups and just hang out with some snacks and watch out over the sports court.

Wow, that is appalling. 

Yes, it was a culture shock.  I have never seen adults act like this like ravaging wolves with no regard for others.  The pushing in lines, hands grabbing food instead of using utensils, the Promenade pizza and snack area being overrun...  It reminded me of the scene from the Lion King with the Wildebeest stampede for 5 days.  My husband and I were so thankful we had a Grand Suite and didn't have to deal with the riff raff too much.  We have been in Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico, and all over the US.  Plus on Carnival, MSC, Celebrity, NCL and Royal cruises.  Have never seen such an obnoxious crowd as this one.  

10 hours ago, MiniChunks said:

Explorer

We're getting ready to sail on Explorer again with a 9 nighter February 23.

However her 11 nighter March 30, 2025 really looking forward to this special itinerary.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:42 PM, sailor05 said:

We have taken many cruises and have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Next month on the Wonder we have to because our ship doesn't arrive in St. Thomas until 12:30 so our tour won't have us back in time for early dining. The specialty restaurants are sold out so we're going to do the Windjammer. Is it any different at dinner than at lunch? Main dining has themed dinners like "A Taste of Italy, Caribbean, France," etc. Does the Windjammer do this as well? Is the dress always casual! Thanks!

We were on the Wonder in October and would like to suggest to you is the Solarium Bistro as another option for dinner. The food was fresh and hot and although not as much variety as WJ it still had a nice selection. Smaller crowds there than the WJ.

Hope that helps, cheers!

• Like 1

On our last cruise on Mariner, our excursion in San Juan was going to return later than our MDR dining time... on lobster night!  The night before I talked to our waiter and then the maitre-d. They made a couple "to go" plates, and when we returned from the excursion, I called them to say we were back and went down and picked up the plates.  Ended up eating on our balcony.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Wow, that is appalling. 

We have seen the same behaviour only once thankfully out of Miami. Huge plates of food spread across a table. Lots of wasted food and the mess, all over table and floor. Just not polite and fair to the hard working crew or others who are witing for a table. 

But love the WJ, lots of choice and no need for the sit down formal wait etc. 

hi there 

We love the windjammer - breakfast lunch and dinner - there is always a lot of variety to choose from and have always had no bother picking something to eat. We usually go to windjammer most often for dinner with the MDR only couple times. I did notice last year on Symphony of Seas there wasnt as much variety as previous cruises (1st time on Symphony) so was a little disappointed, but we did manage to find something when we went to it .  They do usually have stations with different themes. ie Indian, Mexican, British, Italian  and it is usually depending on where the ports you are sailing too.  We like that windjammer is more relaxed - we dont always want to do formal every night.  It is casual however we do dress up (not like dressy dressy all the time but I do wear a dress every evening and I have never felt out of place.) We just do want what we want to do.  Overall we prefer the windjammer to MDR

hope this helps

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:58 PM, Ashland said:

We're getting ready to sail on Explorer again with a 9 nighter February 23.

However her 11 nighter March 30, 2025 really looking forward to this special itinerary.

We sailed that itinerary on Serenade and disembarked 3/13/2020. We considered ourselves lucky to get home before everything went to hell. That was Serenade's last full sailing before everything shut down. I think she made it a day with new passengers before coming home and riding out the pandemic. It was a fantastic itinerary though, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. You'll love it!

On 1/26/2024 at 8:22 AM, MiniChunks said:

One of my favorite menu items in the MDR is the French Onion Soup. That doesn't seem like something that would work in a buffet, but does anyone know if that is available in the windjammer for dinner?

It has been available in the WJ on 1 or 2 evenings when we were on Serenade in November, but it is hit or miss as to which evenings.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:39 AM, Wineaux007 said:

Talk with the Maitre'D, and he will find you a table to eat at the 2nd seating or my-time dining.

Absoulutely. The MDR will accommodate everyone who wants to dine there although if you miss the early traditional seating, you will end up in the MTD "no reservations" line when you do show up.

• Like 1