Windjammer for dinner?

We have taken many cruises and have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Next month on the Wonder we have to because our ship doesn't arrive in St. Thomas until 12:30 so our tour won't have us back in time for early dining. The specialty restaurants are sold out so we're going to do the Windjammer. Is it any different at dinner than at lunch? Main dining has themed dinners like "A Taste of Italy, Caribbean, France," etc. Does the Windjammer do this as well? Is the dress always casual! Thanks!

After many years of RCI cruising we're WJ converts especially for dinner.

Dress is always casual and each night has a theme. Most of the senior crew eat in there nightly and usually the captain does also. The only unfortunate thing is many people have found out and it's been getting crowded. You might be surprised at how much you'll enjoy it.

• Like 11

On some ships (the Anthem especially) we eat in the WJ. We have been on Anthem 2 times and never eaten in the MDR as the food in WJ is brilliant....and you can have any combination you want (eg curry and chips!). As Ashland says, you will be pleasently surprised!!

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

4 hours ago, sailor05 said:

We have taken many cruises and have never eaten dinner in the Windjammer. Next month on the Wonder we have to because our ship doesn't arrive in St. Thomas until 12:30 so our tour won't have us back in time for early dining. The specialty restaurants are sold out so we're going to do the Windjammer. Is it any different at dinner than at lunch? Main dining has themed dinners like "A Taste of Italy, Caribbean, France," etc. Does the Windjammer do this as well? Is the dress always casual! Thanks!

Talk with the Maitre'D, and he will find you a table to eat at the 2nd seating or my-time dining.

@Ashlandstated it perfectly. We haven't used the MDR in years. When cruising restarted after the shutdown initially they were not opening the Windjammer for dinner. If they didn't start opening before our first cruise came up I would have cancelled.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sddsddean said:

On some ships (the Anthem especially) we eat in the WJ. We have been on Anthem 2 times and never eaten in the MDR as the food in WJ is brilliant....and you can have any combination you want (eg curry and chips!). As Ashland says, you will be pleasently surprised!!

Simon

Second that, specially on Anthem out of UK we have had better Indian food in Windjammer than in some land based Indian restaurants. Only ate once in MDR and it wasn't anything special.

We love the Windjammer and will eat about 80% of our meals there. We love the food, the staff, and the casual atmosphere. We don’t care to make meals an event. 
We choose to go to the MDR on lobster night for one dress up night. That’s it! 
Just our style of cruising. 😊

Edited by CookieDiva
Typo

We always ate in the MDR since we started cruising many years ago, but lately we’ve been eating dinner in the WJ and liking it more and more. They will have the same themed menu as MDR, but with other options too.

I like having the option of going to a sit down dinner and also having he flexibility of eating what we want, when we want in WJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MiniChunks said:

One of my favorite menu items in the MDR is the French Onion Soup. That doesn't seem like something that would work in a buffet, but does anyone know if that is available in the windjammer for dinner?

I have encountered it in the WJ in the past.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I have encountered it in the WJ in the past.

Wow, thanks for the feedback. In all of the years I've been cruising with Royal, I think I've only eaten in the WJ once and it was a quick grab and go because I was running late for something. Leaving next week and may have to give this a shot. 

Just now, MiniChunks said:

Wow, thanks for the feedback. In all of the years I've been cruising with Royal, I think I've only eaten in the WJ once and it was a quick grab and go because I was running late for something. Leaving next week and may have to give this a shot. 

Which ship are you headed to?

Look out!  You're likely to like it!  

Seriously, random thoughts about WJ for dinner: 

- We like going to WJ for dinner a couple times during the week ... just because the MDR every evening can get to be "too much".  On the other hand, the WJ doesn't feel as special as the MDR.  

- It is casual.  Not bathing suit casual, but shorts & tops casual.  

- It is quiet and fairly empty.  You'll have no problem getting a prime window seat.  

- If you have small children, the WJ is great for dinner.  The child doesn't have to sit still as long.  

- They usually have a theme for the evening, and those foods show up first on the buffet ... then you'll find an assortment of other foods farther on down.  They almost always have either (thin) steaks or pork chops, a carving station, and often surprise items ... we enjoyed Crawdads on our last cruise!  You can get more vegetables at the WJ.    

- They often have a special something for dessert ... a chocolate fountain, churros made to order, etc.  Self-serve desserts are cut quite small, so you can have several different things.  

• Like 3

Of course you may encounter the seagull mentality we had on our December 2022 Voyager cruise out of San Juan where the WJ was a literally feeding frenzy.  We saw a large family take the entire bowl of shrimp and bring it to their table where the relatives literally dove in.  Same cruise we also saw people take the chocolate display sticks and put them in their bags, and on the morning we disembarked, people dumping teabags, sugar packets, cups and silverware in bags.  Now mind you in 34 cruises and about 8 out of San Juan, this was a first and only.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong with the WJ , but i prefer the dining room for dinner.

Actually i prefer it for breakfast and lunch too, if its open. 

Less traffic and a more controlled environment. Table clothes are a nice touch too.

I’m a solo traveler and never eat in the MDR. When I eat, I like to be left alone and control my portions. I always find something I like in the Jammer, and if I want to try something new, I can just take a little bit and not waste a lot. I can eat quickly and be off to do other things. I have noticed it’s starting to get more crowded, and sometimes it can be a game of dodging other humans while getting food, but I usually go when it first opens for dinner, so it’s not to bad.

I think this upcoming cruise on Anthem I'm going to be doing most if not all of my evening dining in the Windjammer. I'm slotted for MTD, but at least based on current cruises, the time for something I really want to do - at least the first night - is at 7, making an earlier dining with MTD impossible since the first available slot is 6:45, and I'd rather not eat later.