princess australia excursions

snag

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Thanks.  Appreciate the expertise you have in the area.  Thanks, capriccio too.  

Another option for Cairns is to fly over the GBR. We arranged that on our own because neither of us was looking forward to the long boat ride out to the reef (many people got sick, and one person on our cruise fell down the stairs on the excursion boat and broke his leg because it was so rough). We arranged a flight through Daintree Aviation and they picked us up and returned us to the ship. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I have a question re: Brisbane if you got there, how? Specifically since the terminal is now on an out of the area site, was there an option to book transit at port or did you have to go with Princess?? Not an excursion,  just getting to the city. Thank you ahead of time 

In Brisbane we took a Princess excursion to the Koala Sanctuary.

4 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

With the Princess shore exc. being so expensive, do you think it's better to go with another company for the Great Barrier Reef tour?  Or is this one that is better to go with Princess?

This is one where it can be impossible to do it on your own. In Airlie Beach for example, the long tender ride means you can’t get to shore in time to join a dive trip. Booking with Princess meant that the dive operator picked up directly from the cruise ship.  You need to look closely at your itinerary. 

Edited by Torfamm

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I have a question re: Brisbane if you got there, how? Specifically since the terminal is now on an out of the area site, was there an option to book transit at port or did you have to go with Princess?? Not an excursion,  just getting to the city. Thank you ahead of time 

Princess offered a free shuttle when we were there in the fall. It was offered at a fee on the website under shore excursions pre-cruise but an announcement was made that the shuttle would be free once onboard. We also enjoyed a free walking tour there with Brisbane Greeters

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/whats-on-in-brisbane/brisbane-greeter-program

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Lone Pine, I think?  That is a really fun day. We’ve done it twice on our own, just hooked up with other passengers going to the same place when we got off the ship and got a taxi. Getting there before the crowds was a plus. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Another option for Cairns is to fly over the GBR. We arranged that on our own because neither of us was looking forward to the long boat ride out to the reef (many people got sick, and one person on our cruise fell down the stairs on the excursion boat and broke his leg because it was so rough). We arranged a flight through Daintree Aviation and they picked us up and returned us to the ship. 

That's a great idea.  How did you get to Daintree Aviation?  Was it a short taxi ride or did they pick you up?  That might be a better way to go as I really don't want to spend a whole day at the GBR.

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Lone Pine, I think?  That is a really fun day. We’ve done it twice on our own, just hooked up with other passengers going to the same place when we got off the ship and got a taxi. Getting there before the crowds was a plus. 

Yep. I bought a Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary hat while I was there. When we were there it wasn't crowded at all. Lots of different animals there and we really enjoyed it. We found the Platypus interesting. :classic_blink:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

That's a great idea.  How did you get to Daintree Aviation?  Was it a short taxi ride or did they pick you up?  That might be a better way to go as I really don't want to spend a whole day at the GBR.

We tendered to a pier in Airlie beach. Daintree Aviation met us there, drove us to the airport (20 minutes or so I think), and took us back afterward. We were in a small plane with another couple we didn’t know, and the young pilot (they’re all trying to get their hours to fly for Qantas). 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We tendered to a pier in Airlie beach. Daintree Aviation met us there, drove us to the airport (20 minutes or so I think), and took us back afterward. We were in a small plane with another couple we didn’t know, and the young pilot (they’re all trying to get their hours to fly for Qantas). 

That's really helpful, thank you!  I thought you'd be going from Yorkey's Knob but Airlie Beach would be much better for us since we want to do the Kuranda Railway from Yorkey's Knob.  I found Daintree's website and will definitely look into it.  As much as I love water, sitting on a boat for 6 hours in one day to get to the GBR is just too much IMO.

20 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

That's really helpful, thank you!  I thought you'd be going from Yorkey's Knob but Airlie Beach would be much better for us since we want to do the Kuranda Railway from Yorkey's Knob.  I found Daintree's website and will definitely look into it.  As much as I love water, sitting on a boat for 6 hours in one day to get to the GBR is just too much IMO.

My apologies, I misspoke. As soon as I read your post I realized it. We did do the plane trip over the GBR from Yorkey’s Knob. We also did the Kuranda Railway on a different cruise, and, if I was forced to choose, I’d pick the plane ride. The railway is great…the plane one is once in a lifetime-type fantastic. 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2017/10/day-8-yorkeys-knob-cairns.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I must be thinking of a different shuttle then. I just checked my blog to see if I misremembered, but no, in 2019 the one I am thinking of, between the port and the CBD, was definitely free. 

In 2018 the shuttle from the dock into Wellington was free and I have seen reports of the shuttle being free this season. This was posted by someone on another site about a month ago.

IMG_20240129_092642.thumb.jpg.a7126a4806a9ad781ce949085f2934ad.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My apologies, I misspoke. As soon as I read your post I realized it. We did do the plane trip over the GBR from Yorkey’s Knob. We also did the Kuranda Railway on a different cruise, and, if I was forced to choose, I’d pick the plane ride. The railway is great…the plane one is once in a lifetime-type fantastic. 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2017/10/day-8-yorkeys-knob-cairns.html

Yes, that’s what I’m discovering.  Have sent the company an email and they said the same thing.  I’d like to do both the train and the flight if possible.  Hopefully, we can work it out.  Thanks so much for your help.  I’ve enjoyed reading your Aus/NZ blogs!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

In 2018 the shuttle from the dock into Wellington was free and I have seen reports of the shuttle being free this season. This was posted by someone on another site about a month ago.

IMG_20240129_092642.thumb.jpg.a7126a4806a9ad781ce949085f2934ad.jpg

Yep!  A couple of folks have reported that here.  It's one of those rare times that something that used to have a charge associated with it now doesn't.

• Like 1

Just now, azbirdmom said:

Yep!  A couple of folks have reported that here.  It's one of those rare times that something that used to have a charge associated with it now doesn't.

Amazing that it's free now. Usually things get more expensive not less! 😊

• Like 1

Hi, wondering about the “limited free shuttle” to Lyttelton? Do we need to sign up? Just get off the ship? Do they run out?  We just want to stay in L and not go CC. 

20 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

Hi, wondering about the “limited free shuttle” to Lyttelton? Do we need to sign up? Just get off the ship? Do they run out?  We just want to stay in L and not go CC. 

In December we just got off the ship and waited in the line for the free shuttle into Lyttleton. We left the ship at 10.00am and waited for 20 minutes to get on a shuttle which took ten minutes to get into Lyttleton. There were seperate lines on opposite sides of the road for the free shuttle to Lyttleton which did not require a shuttle ticket and the paid for shuttle to Christchurch which did need a shuttle ticket.

For the return we waited for about five minutes at the bus stop where had been dropped off and got on the first shuttle that came at 1.50pm. We were back at the ship at 2.00pm.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I must be thinking of a different shuttle then. I just checked my blog to see if I misremembered, but no, in 2019 the one I am thinking of, between the port and the CBD, was definitely free. 

Yes, it is. Ships now dock at a different place on the wharf than they used and you are no longer allowed to walk off. Wellington provides free shuttles but recent reports indicate they only drop off in Lambton Quay, near the Beehive. However that could change again - it's changed at least four times that I know of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Amazing that it's free now. Usually things get more expensive not less! 😊

All NZ working ports, ie those where you are not allowed to walk off, provide free shuttles to get you off the wharf. Of course, the Lyttelton ones only go to the local township not to Christchurch.

• Like 1

We found it to be extremely difficult/impossible to do a non-ship Great Barrier Reef tour because of the logistics; that is, all the ports were tender ports and there just wasn't time to do an independent excursion.

We almost never do ship tours but did in all the ports up to Port Douglas just because of this problem.  They were all pretty decent tours, just more than we would normally pay.

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Not really.

In NZ, all mandatory port shuttles are no charge.

Previously in Wellington walking into town was possible.

I remember walking into Wellington in 2016 so the change to a mandatory shuttle must have happened between then and 2018 when I got a no charge shuttle. I wonder if the paid shuttle that was mentioned earlier was a ship shuttle that was put on for passengers who didn't want to walk into the city.

• Like 1

Have just done New Zealand cruise on Coral Princess.

No problems getting on a shuttle at Lyttleton. no charge.

The shuttle to Wellington is also free but as previously mentioned the only stop is now at Lambton Quay, near the Beehive or Parliament building.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

17 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We booked this through Princess and I've booked through the Sanctuary the "Hold a Koala" picture option. After reading posts about the taxi cost and the upcharging on Ubers, we went with the ship tour. How was the crowds with the Princess excursion, is it worth gambling with an Uber? We will be visiting in April so was thinking it might be off season.

21 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We booked this through Princess and I've booked through the Sanctuary the "Hold a Koala" picture option. After reading posts about the taxi cost and the upcharging on Ubers, we went with the ship tour. How was the crowds with the Princess excursion, is it worth gambling with an Uber? We will be visiting in April so was thinking it might be off season.

I did not take the Princess excursion, but Thrak did, and perhaps he can comment on it. Both times I did it, we were at the old freight port. I don’t recall that Ubers, if they existed there, were able to come into the port area. We took a taxi both times, the first time with people we met up with who were going to the same place, and the second time with friends we were traveling with, and found another couple to share the taxi van with us. 
http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2019/10/day-37-brisbane.html

The one with my “hold a koala” pic. 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2017/10/day-4-brisbane-australia_17.html

• Haha 1