princess australia excursions

snag

Hi, can anyone tell me if the excursions booked on the princess for an australian cruise are priced in australian dollars or us dollars. Thanks Snag

1 hour ago, snag said:

Hi, can anyone tell me if the excursions booked on the princess for an australian cruise are priced in australian dollars or us dollars. Thanks Snag

Australian $, if booked in Australia. 

Edited by stki

2 hours ago, snag said:

From a UK perspective, just about all of our website & app prices are in £... Apart from tours which are curiously only priced in U.S. $.

Simple for us as the difference is clearly marked £ or $... However as you use the same sign, I would book a test one to begin with just to see what kind of possible hit there on any exchange rate.

Edited by Stevio

Your question has been answered above but I am going to include a quick caveat regarding Princess excursions in Australia.

We decided to visit the aquarium in Cairns, Australia. Princess offered an excursion for (can't remember for sure) around $139 AUD per person. It included transportation to the aquarium, entry an hour before regular opening, and a guide. We chose to do it on our own. When we got off the ship there were folks at a table with port info and we were offered a 10% off coupon for the aquarium. We took the coupon and then walked the 5 or 6 blocks to the aquarium. When we entered we submitted our 10% off coupons and the person selling tickets no only gladly accepted the coupon but also offered us an additional discount as "seniors".  We ended up paying something like $37 AUD each.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Your question has been answered above but I am going to include a quick caveat regarding Princess excursions in Australia.

We decided to visit the aquarium in Cairns, Australia. Princess offered an excursion for (can't remember for sure) around $139 AUD per person. It included transportation to the aquarium, entry an hour before regular opening, and a guide. We chose to do it on our own. When we got off the ship there were folks at a table with port info and we were offered a 10% off coupon for the aquarium. We took the coupon and then walked the 5 or 6 blocks to the aquarium. When we entered we submitted our 10% off coupons and the person selling tickets no only gladly accepted the coupon but also offered us an additional discount as "seniors".  We ended up paying something like $37 AUD each.

Good point.  On both our our Australia / New Zealand cruises we found the Princess excursion prices to be way overpriced even factoring in the exchange rate.  On our earlier cruise (2013) we ended up picking up the Princess shuttle into Wellington and buying the tram on our own, then we walked through the botanical garden and over to Te Papa.  All except the tram and the Princess shuttle were free.  Princess wanted over $100 for us to do that excursion.  On our most recent trip last month we only did one Princess excursion and it was a HOHO bus in Auckland.  We did everything else on our own or booked with an independent vendor.  Lots of $$ to be saved if you take a little time to do the research.  Would just recommend that you not go too far.  In Picton some folks on a Princess excursion couldn't get back because of an accident on the lone road back to the region.  They spent 3 days away until they could catch up with the ship - on Princess' dime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Good point.  On both our our Australia / New Zealand cruises we found the Princess excursion prices to be way overpriced even factoring in the exchange rate.

Our experience as well. I used the Cairns aquarium because I remember it specifically. I do remember that pretty much any Princess excursion in Australia and New Zealand was surprisingly expensive. (Cruising that area was amazingly expensive compared to most other places we have cruised and the excursions had some pretty "eye popping" pricing.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

The coupon but also offered us an additional discount as "seniors".  We ended up paying something like $37 AUD each.

We found that some Australian museums and attractions advertise discounts for Australian seniors only so in those cases we didn't even ask for it.  We were surprised that in more than one of those instances, the cashier took a look at us and said "but aren't your retired?"  We replied "yes but we aren't Australians" (as if that wasn't immediately obvious when we opened our mouths).  We were given the discount with a "Hope you are enjoying your time in Australia" to which we replied "most certainly" and thanked them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Our experience as well. I used the Cairns aquarium because I remember it specifically. I do remember that pretty much any Princess excursion in Australia and New Zealand was surprisingly expensive. (Cruising that area was amazingly expensive compared to most other places we have cruised and the excursions had some pretty "eye popping" pricing.)

It is interesting to read this because as an Australian I find the Princess Australian and New Zealand excursions expensive but nowhere near as expensive as Princess excursions elsewhere in the world because not only are they expensive but then converting the price from USD to AUD they then become eyewateringly expensive.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

It is interesting to read this because as an Australian I find the Princess Australian and New Zealand excursions expensive but nowhere near as expensive as Princess excursions elsewhere in the world because not only are they expensive but then converting the price from USD to AUD they then become eyewateringly expensive.

Being used to seeing prices in USD, prices shown in AUD are eye-popping.   But, after the conversion the prices are roughly in line with other parts of the world.  Yes, I’m often finding a similar excursion for about 50-60% of what Princess charges     But, in some cases, due to timing or distance travelled, the Princess excursion is the one we pick.   

• Like 5

14 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

All except the tram and the Princess shuttle were free. 

Is this shuttle the one guests are required to take to get out of the port area?  About a 10 minute ride to two stops in downtown Wellington?  If so, that used to be free. Do you recall what you were charged?

We've done exactly the route you described and it was a lovely (and inexpensive) day. There was even a cable car museum at the top of the Wellington cable car, and the roses were in bloom in the botanical gardens. We very much enjoyed it all. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Is this shuttle the one guests are required to take to get out of the port area?  About a 10 minute ride to two stops in downtown Wellington?  If so, that used to be free. Do you recall what you were charged?

We've done exactly the route you described and it was a lovely (and inexpensive) day. There was even a cable car museum at the top of the Wellington cable car, and the roses were in bloom in the botanical gardens. We very much enjoyed it all. 

Back in 2013 it was $10 round trip for the shuttle and $3.50 NZ for the one way tram trip (just checked my notes from the trip 🙂 ).  I'm sure it's higher now but definitely a better deal to DIY even if you have to pay for the shuttle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Back in 2013 it was $10 round trip for the shuttle and $3.50 NZ for the one way tram trip (just checked my notes from the trip 🙂 ).  I'm sure it's higher now but definitely a better deal to DIY even if you have to pay for the shuttle.

I must be thinking of a different shuttle then. I just checked my blog to see if I misremembered, but no, in 2019 the one I am thinking of, between the port and the CBD, was definitely free. 

• Haha 2

With the Princess shore exc. being so expensive, do you think it's better to go with another company for the Great Barrier Reef tour?  Or is this one that is better to go with Princess?

If anyone reading this is planning to take the Kuranda Railway, it's suffered a lot of damage due to ex-tropical cyclone Jasper and will be completely closed until late April.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

With the Princess shore exc. being so expensive, do you think it's better to go with another company for the Great Barrier Reef tour?  Or is this one that is better to go with Princess?

Pay very close attention to the times in port because it is a long boat ride to and from the reef so some vendors may be leaving too early and/or returning too late.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

If anyone reading this is planning to take the Kuranda Railway, it's suffered a lot of damage due to ex-tropical cyclone Jasper and will be completely closed until late April.  

There are so many thing that can’t happen on that tour that I would definitely book through Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I must be thinking of a different shuttle then. I just checked my blog to see if I misremembered, but no, in 2019 the one I am thinking of, between the port and the CBD, was definitely free. 

It was a local shuttle so it could be that something changed. I still have the Patters and this is what it was in January 2013:IMG_4571.thumb.jpeg.8715d12dd66e87868957b67378e4394f.jpeg

We didn’t visit Wellington last month but these were the places that had a paid shuttle:

IMG_4570.thumb.jpeg.af6a2d25ff462220ad30a5a2bb919239.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I took the Green Island "Great Barrier Reef" excursion in Cairns.  It was a relaxing day, but I know it wasn't all the way out to the Great Barrier Reef.  We didn't snorkel b/c it was during the Box jellyfish season, but we did enjoy walking the island, and snoozing on the beach after our glass bottom boat cruise.  Mainly we chose the Princess excursion instead of booking independently b/c of the distance etc.  YMMV

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

On our earlier cruise (2013) we ended up picking up the Princess shuttle into Wellington and buying the tram on our own, then we walked through the botanical garden and over to Te Papa.  All except the tram and the Princess shuttle were free.

For the benefit of other cruisers visiting Wellington.

The shuttles into the city are mandatory now (no walking into town permitted).

They are provided for all cruiselines and there is no charge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have a question re: Brisbane if you got there, how? Specifically since the terminal is now on an out of the area site, was there an option to book transit at port or did you have to go with Princess?? Not an excursion,  just getting to the city. Thank you ahead of time