Bed Comfort Comparison: Ascent vs Other X Ships - Have You Noticed?

Mastodon

I recently sailed on Celebrity Ascent and noticed that the bed felt harder compared to my experiences on Celebrity Beyond and Apex in 2023. There seemed to be no plush topper. Also noticed that the pillows are no longer filled with down.

Has anyone else noticed this difference?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences with bed comfort across different Celebrity ships.

Let's discuss!

I found the bed on the Ascent to be very hard, the cabin attendant put something on to help, but it was only marginally better.  When I initially mentioned it to him he said he would see if there were any toppers available, if not he would ask his manger to see if there were more.  The next day he checked to see if the bed was now satisfactory and I said not really.  That night there was the topper in addition to the padding and it was much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They are new mattresses, what else is there to discuss 🤔😁

We were on the Edge within 2 months of it sailing and the beds were very comfortable.  The mattress on the Ascent was very hard.  The only complaint I had about the ship, and it was resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on ascent 2nd cruise  and pillows seemed to be down, but very flat. Although we were in Concierge, they did not have any other options available. Maybe they hadn’t come in yet? Mattress seemed ok.

3 hours ago, CardowMD said:

We were on ascent 2nd cruise  and pillows seemed to be down, but very flat. Although we were in Concierge, they did not have any other options available. Maybe they hadn’t come in yet? Mattress seemed ok.

We were on the Ascent in Concierge two weeks ago and agree the standard Feather pillows are kinda flat. Tried to squish the feathers together but that didn't do the trick. We did ask and received a much firmer non-feather pillow. It is a thicker pillow so it may be too tall for sleeping for some people. I used it for sitting up on the bed and not necessarily for sleeping on. 

I am so glad to see this being addressed.  We were on the Ascent earlier this month.  The mattress was very hard.  I mentioned to the cabin steward and requested a topper.  Later that day I noticed that he had placed a thin mattress cover on the bed.  Still very hard.  After two nights of tossing and turning most of the night, I mentioned to Guest Relations.  That night there was a 1" topper on the bed.  Still hard, but at least I could sleep.

I've been on 30+ cruises, mostly on Celebrity, and have found this issue on my last couple of cruises.  If Celebrity is reading, they NEED to provide toppers when requested.  At 3 in the morning I found myself asking why I was spending hundreds of $$s a day when I couldn't get a decent nights sleep!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I am so glad to see this being addressed.  We were on the Ascent earlier this month.  The mattress was very hard.  I mentioned to the cabin steward and requested a topper.  Later that day I noticed that he had placed a thin mattress cover on the bed.  Still very hard.  After two nights of tossing and turning most of the night, I mentioned to Guest Relations.  That night there was a 1" topper on the bed.  Still hard, but at least I could sleep.

I've been on 30+ cruises, mostly on Celebrity, and have found this issue on my last couple of cruises.  If Celebrity is reading, they NEED to provide toppers when requested.  At 3 in the morning I found myself asking why I was spending hundreds of $$s a day when I couldn't get a decent nights sleep!

I agree. The mattress was sooo hard. I had a hard time sleeping compared to times on other ships.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billc23 said:

The mattress on the Ascent in my room was very firm. It was a matermoll cashmere mattress. Details below:

IMG_2715.thumb.JPG.800c6070202da3ba097e33f11323eccc.JPG

Can someone post a picture of the mattress label on other ships? Wondering if Celebrity selected a different mattress for Ascent. 

I enjoyed the mattress on Solstice and Edge class ships last year. The mattress on Ascent really stood out due to the firmness. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a350flyer said:

Can someone post a picture of the mattress label on other ships? Wondering if Celebrity selected a different mattress for Ascent. 

I enjoyed the mattress on Solstice and Edge class ships last year. The mattress on Ascent really stood out due to the firmness. 

I had the info years ago but not now. In fact about 10 years ago I loved the mattress and pillows on a sailing so much that I purchased a dozen pillows of the same type from a vendor that supplies bed and breakfast places. I did not save the details but I will be on the Solstice in March and will take a photo.

48 minutes ago, a350flyer said:

https://celebritybedcollection.com/product/celebrity-cashmere-mattress/

It's the same manufacturer but could be a different mattress. 

We enjoyed the firmer bed on Ascent. I hate sinking down into a squishy bed almost as much as those nasty egg crate toppers. But obviously they can't cater to the mattress preference of 3,200 individual guests. 

30 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

https://celebritybedcollection.com/product/celebrity-cashmere-mattress/

It's the same manufacturer but could be a different mattress. 

We enjoyed the firmer bed on Ascent. I hate sinking down into a squishy bed almost as much as those nasty egg crate toppers. But obviously they can't cater to the mattress preference of 3,200 individual guests. 

Hey paulh84, this post is not about catering to individual guests. It's about noticing a difference in the mattress used on Ascent vs other ships.

did you notice if the mattress on ascent was firmer than on other celebrity ships?

If memory serves me correctly, the bed on Ascent (early January 2024, Concierge) was slightly firmer than other Celebrity mattresses. 

To us, it felt like a great, solid, well-built, new mattress. Even support especially at the twin bed split, very comfy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What if you are allergic to cashmere and/or are a Vegan and do not want to sleep on goat fur/skin?  Or do not want goose feather pillows (again - Vegan)?  Can these be replaced with non-animal sheets, mattress, comforter, pillows?

I have an allergy to cashmere but had no reaction on any of the E Class ships.  I was told they would have made arrangements if I did..

We liked the Ascent mattress..nice and firm. I just used one pillow..a bit hard for my taste but slept quite well!

Edited by hcat

15 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

What if you are allergic to cashmere and/or are a Vegan and do not want to sleep on goat fur/skin?  Or do not want goose feather pillows (again - Vegan)?  Can these be replaced with non-animal sheets, mattress, comforter, pillows?

Just when I thought I had seen it all…

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When on Beyond in 2022, I found the mattress very hard as well.  And for first time since cruising Celebrity ( many times on S Class, only once on M class) I had to request and received a topper which made it more comfortable.

• Like 1