Edge-class balcony.

Hoya

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Personally, I think it was more likely a business decision.

If that was the case they could have created a brand new cabin category that would have a a sky suite type balcony but aren't a Retreat Class cabin so not to overload the Retreat facilities. They would price it higher than an IV cabin but less than a sky suite. 

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If that was the case they could have created a brand new cabin category that would have a a sky suite type balcony but aren't a Retreat Class cabin so not to overload the Retreat facilities. They would price it higher than an IV cabin but less than a sky suite. 

IMO the business decision was to have the fewest possible number of balconies on the ship. Your caveat would run contrary to that decision.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely loved our IV on a recent Ascent cruise. For me, I preferred it over a traditional balcony because we could control whether or not we had outside air. When we were in the cabin during the daytime, we were sitting on the IV, often with the window fully open for the breeze and the wave sounds. I would not have spent anywhere near that much time on a traditional balcony. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syd58 said:

I absolutely loved our IV on a recent Ascent cruise. For me, I preferred it over a traditional balcony because we could control whether or not we had outside air. When we were in the cabin during the daytime, we were sitting on the IV, often with the window fully open for the breeze and the wave sounds. I would not have spent anywhere near that much time on a traditional balcony. 

I would disagree with you on that.  You didn't control whether or not you had outside air.  The captain did.

I'd be happy to book an IV if it cost less than a similar balcony (sorry, non-window) cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I would disagree with you on that.  You didn't control whether or not you had outside air.  The captain did.

Having actually sailed in an IV, the only times the tops are locked is when they are cleaning (announced in advance in the planner) OR if the weather is adverse enough to warrant it, which is a time you wouldn't be (or shouldn't be) on a balcony anyway.

Them being locked by the captain is presented as far more than an issue than people on here want to make it.

53 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Having actually sailed in an IV, the only times the tops are locked is when they are cleaning (announced in advance in the planner) OR if the weather is adverse enough to warrant it, which is a time you wouldn't be (or shouldn't be) on a balcony anyway.

Them being locked by the captain is presented as far more than an issue than people on here want to make it.

So you think I should not decide for myself when I should be on my balcony?  Maybe I like rain?  If it’s a hurricane the ship shouldn’t be sailing in the first place.

Can I come to your house and install a switch to let me remotely control your windows?  Since it’s not really an issue?

39 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It's obvious the IV concept is a failure.  All those cabins are going unsold, and X is losing $$$ daily.  Oh, wait..........

Well I knew it was successful when they scrapped all the other ships that don’t have IVs.

So if you lower the window and the AC turns off about how long does it take for your cabin to get too warm, sailing on Beyond in Sept and wonder if we made a mistake booking the IV.

17 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

So if you lower the window and the AC turns off about how long does it take for your cabin to get too warm, sailing on Beyond in Sept and wonder if we made a mistake booking the IV.

from the IV reviews I've read, it gets hot very quickly in the Caribbean climate and it takes hours to get back to normal temperature.

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

Just keep the window closed…

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Congratulations!  You now have a $5000 inside cabin.

Call it a premium window cabin.  You do have more space and a big window.

Edited by NMTraveller

38 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Call it a premium window cabin.  You do have more space and a big window.

I get it!   It’s “premium” because you can open it.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Congratulations!  You now have a $5000 inside cabin.

$5000?

I paid about $2200 for a 13-night TA - less than $100 per person, per night.

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tscoffey said:

$5000?

I am about $2200 for a 13-night TA - less than $100 per person, per night.

I think you may have missed the point of the post.  Do you enjoy the window in your inside cabin?  You know, the one that opens?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I think you may have missed the point of the post.  Do you enjoy the window in your inside cabin?  You know, the one that opens?

Ah...  Not for me...  

But kudos to Celebrity selling a window cabin for a balcony price.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess I'll just have to let you know my opinion afterwards.

20 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

I guess I'll just have to let you know my opinion afterwards.

Well why pay for an inside cabin on the inside when you could pay twice that to have an outside cabin with a window on the outside?