Move over offer questions!

I received a move over offer for a cruise, the offer is a free cruise, refundable OBC for the amount I paid for my current cruise, $200 pp allowance for any travel expenses we will incur for canceling. It’s really last minute. Can anyone explain if they have taken an offer to move over? I can’t talk to anyone, there is just a email to respond to. Thanks for any help. 

• Like 1

We got similar offer last July for Alaska. We jumped on it. I spoke many times with the agent from the email. They responded very quickly. We ended up down grading our new cruise and the difference was refunded onto my cc the next day. 
hope it works for you . It is genuinely a free cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, WannaCruise365 said:

I received a move over offer for a cruise, the offer is a free cruise, refundable OBC for the amount I paid for my current cruise, $200 pp allowance for any travel expenses we will incur for canceling. It’s really last minute. Can anyone explain if they have taken an offer to move over? I can’t talk to anyone, there is just a email to respond to. Thanks for any help. 

Just don't wait too long to respond if you want to take the offer. They will move onto others until it is accepted.

• Like 4

Can anyone explain why they do this?  Did they overbook the cruise like a flight and are trying to scramble to free up some cabins?  I got this 3 days before my cruise leaves (2.4.24) and I am trying to understand why they would do it?  We already have flights booked and there is no way that I would take them up on it, but just trying to understand the reasoning.....

1 hour ago, avonlady6390 said:

Yes it is because they over booked although I would think it would be better to make move over offers to those that live near the port.

OK, so this begs the question do people get bumped from cruises if they can't get enough "Move Over" volunteers?  Or in airline parlance, involuntary denied boarding?

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

OK, so this begs the question do people get bumped from cruises if they can't get enough "Move Over" volunteers?  Or in airline parlance, involuntary denied boarding?

UGH! I really hope not.....😐

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

They always get enough takers.  It's a great deal if you have flexibility in your travel plans!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jules7226 said:

Can anyone explain why they do this?  Did they overbook the cruise like a flight and are trying to scramble to free up some cabins?  I got this 3 days before my cruise leaves (2.4.24) and I am trying to understand why they would do it?  We already have flights booked and there is no way that I would take them up on it, but just trying to understand the reasoning.....

I would think they would have the brains to offer it to people who have the cruiseport as their homeport (you have to put your home airport in your documents). I have taken them up on move overs 3 times 

Edited by victory2020
  • Like 1

Just now, victory2020 said:

I would think they would have the brains to offer it to people who have the cruiseport as their homeport (you have to put your home airport in your documents)

drive to port - check

rock bottom price booked for cabin category - check

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jules7226 said:

UGH! I really hope not.....😐

Quantum of the Seas recently over-booked and denied and turned away several payed up passengers when they tried to board.  So yes, it does happen now.   They didn't really get compensated that well either, I don't think.

Edited by 2and2

3 hours ago, Jules7226 said:

It's for those that book a guarantee cabin. The cruise line knows that there are a certain amount of cancellations that happen after final payment. If they don't get those cancellations, they start asking those that don't have flights, if they are willing to take the move over offer. This frees up the cabins for those that booked guarantee. They keep sweetening the pot until they have enough takers.

The over bookings on Royal that happened was a very rare occurrence. The cruise lines have this down to a science.

ETA: My parents received several of these over the years. They live 1 hour from the port.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

No, what they will do if they don't get enough takers when they send out the first requests is that they will sweeten the offer.  And they will keep doing that until they have enough cabins to cover their need.  Yep, I took advantage of one of those offers before Covid.  It was a two week South America cruise and the offer came two weeks before we were to fly out.  Most of the folks on our roll call got the offer and many took it including us.  Princess seriously messed up on this cruise and we were very happy to get two cruises in an upgraded cabin and get our cruise fare back!  If you are flexible respond immediately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2and2 said:

Quantum of the Seas recently over-booked and denied and turned away several payed up passengers when they tried to board.  So yes, it does happen now.   They didn't really get compensated that well either, I don't think.

I doubt that. I think people are denied boarding because they don't have the right documentation IE passports. With ships having 3,000 - and more passengers they just keep going down the list with these offers until someone takes them up on it. Unlike an airplane which has a few hundred people to ask to change flights. 

We received and took a Move Over Offer for a Mediterranean cruise last April.  We received the offer 2 days before we were supposed to fly to Rome.  As a previous poster mentioned Princess got back to us immediately after we expressed an interest to their email.  The representative who called us couldn’t have been nicer.  We did a little research before we emailed them back and located the same itinerary two months later in June.  The rep booked us on that cruise in a balcony cabin that was one notch above what we had, but in the same location that had picked for the first cruise.We kept all of the perks that we had and because we had booked our flights with EZ Air she booked us on new flights.  The flight fare was a little higher than our original booking but Princess covered the difference.  It turned out to be a tremendous success as the weather in June was much nicer than it would have been in April.  We already had quite a bit of OBC so we really didn’t spend the cruise fare that was returned to us a refund OBC.  As they promised, we revived a check in the mail about 6 weeks after we returned home…over $9000.😀  As other posters have mentioned, you need to respond very quickly if you are interested. 

• Like 1

I got a Move Over offer for a UK cruise and I live in Canada.  I took it!   Went to the UK and had a land trip.  Next year, same itinerary cruise was free, OBC credit was the price of the first cruise and we were upgraded from a balcony to a mini suite.  The left over OBC was sent to me in about four weeks after we got home.  Best deal EVER!    If you can, take it.  You won't be sorry.

Before COVID I was offered a move down offer.  Give up my balcony and take an inside cabin and get a full refund.  Took that too.  I sail on Princess a lot. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I doubt that. I think people are denied boarding because they don't have the right documentation IE passports. 

The Quantum case was nothing to do with documentation - Royal Caribbean totally at fault.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/devastated-guests-turned-away-in-brisbane-after-royal-caribbean-oversold-cruise/news-story/9fa154d210df073801a252ff66e69d67

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1