Crystal newbie review

Amber14

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Amber14 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We have been back for couple of weeks now from our first Crystal cruise on the gorgeous Serenity for 13 days. Since I learned so much from all of you I thought I would share some of our experience with you. 

The ship & our cabin - Loved everything...the light colors, the lighting, the artwork, and the shiny surfaces. Never seen a ship so clean & bright! We had an Aquamarine 2018 cabin and it was by far the best cabin we have ever had. I think I could have lived there. The bathroom was so beautiful and roomy with the double sinks and the shower was amazing and so easy to use. The only thing we missed was lounge chairs on the deck overlooking the pool but on the last day we discovered a nook on the upper deck which was pretty private and breezy so we were happy.

The food - We are pretty simple eaters and were always able to find something we liked. There were many things that were way too fancy and out there for us but glad they had them for all of you. We enjoyed all of the restaurants but I was most impressed with the Marketplace for breakfast. We are used to buffets on the bigger cruise lines and this one was just so nice. The food was fresh and delicious and the staff that prepared it were the best. Just loved interacting with the "toast guy" every morning. We also really enjoyed the Grill for lunch...much better than others we have been to. What really impressed me was that everyone was so polite and relaxed. Noone was piling up the food, being rude to the staff or pushing to get ahead of you. It is because of this I have never liked the buffet on a ship. I do on Crystal!

The shows & music - We loved the Crystal singers and dancers! Their shows were so fun especially the Broadway tunes and Icons of Rock (probably not what they were actually called, sorry). I love that the lounge and theater were small and you could always see and hear them. The Stardust Lounge was really great as you felt like you were right there on the stage with them. After one of their shows, they opened it up for dancing and we actually danced with some of the dancers. That was one of our favorite nights. The other was the White Night. They played more upbeat music and again we enjoyed dancing. The comedians and the Frank Sinatra singer were good also but the best show by far was the Billy Joel one...wow, incredible! The only downside for us was the lack of variety in the music. We felt that most of it was geared to the ballroom dancers. We loved watching them and occasionally joined them doing our own thing but we would have loved to have had some more classic oldies rock to listen and dance to. The night of the NCAA College Football Championship was really special. We were rooting for Michigan and hoping we could watch it. Crystal had it in the Stardust Lounge on 3 big screen TV's and served us Pigs in a Blanket, popcorn, pizza and beer...it was perfect!

The crew - Yes, they were as amazing as all of you said they were. Not a frown or unkind word from anyone. I don't know how some of them knew our names but they did and remembered them everyday. This was in the Marketplace, by the pool, in the bars and in the main restaurant. An example for you...on the day we found the out of the way spot on the upper deck to lounge, our favorite server, Bryan, found us somehow and brought us ice water and beer the entire time we were there.

Shore excursions - We don't usually do many ship excursions but we did a few on this cruise. It was cool that a member of the ship went with you and actually interacted with everyone. We did a beautiful hike in Les Saintes and a relaxing sail in St. Barts. The catamaran trip in St. Thomas we did was so much like all the trips we have done on other ships (which we thought was fine) but Crystal thought it was not up to their standards and refunded everyone's money. Now, that is pretty amazing!

Overall impressions - We just felt special and happy the entire time. That is the way the ship and the crew made us feel. We were invited to dine with the Hotel Director and three others. He entertained us with his ship stories throughout dinner. We were also invited to the Captain's Quarters for before dinner cocktails. I will never forget these two experiences that make us feel like celebrities. We will definitely be sailing with Crystal again. As I am looking at another cruise for next winter to the Caribbean I can no longer imagine going on Celebrity, Holland America, Carnival or Princess. We couldn't find a Crystal cruise that worked with our schedules so we will be sailing with Regent for the first time. I know it can't live up to Crystal but hoping it will come close.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

I am delighted you had a great time!  I'm also glad to hear that a Crystal team member accompanied you on excursions, and refunded money where the excursion was not good.

Have you ever sailed on any other luxury line before this, for an equivalent comparison?  If so, which one?

Or, if not, when you were on X and HAL, were you in a "suite", or just in regular cabins?  The " suite" service  experience on premium or high mainstream lines (depending on how you classify X and HAL), would be closer to a luxury line experience than just a regular cabin on those lines, especially on X where suites have their own dining room access and where you can mostly avoid the rude  "people who pile food" problem.  But of course when you leave your suite area, you still have to mingle with the masses. 

I see you have another luxury line, Regent, scheduled next year, so you are branching out.

Generally (though not always), the more you pay per square foot of public space, and private space, the better your experience.  The thing I like most about luxury lines is that there are, with rare exceptions, almost never lines (for dining, for tenders, and for entertainment venues),  and generally fellow pax  are more polite (again, with exceptions).

I wish you further happy sailing.

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I appreciate your comments. In a future Crystal cruise, I hope you will try again the cuisine that you thought was too fancy for you. The Waterside chef creates dishes with subtle nuances, a small swish of sauce and tiny garnishes that blend together in perfect harmony. These are some of the best dishes I've ever encountered. And there are multiple options every night, so it is easy to find something that seems familiar. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amber14 said:

We have been back for couple of weeks now from our first Crystal cruise on the gorgeous Serenity for 13 days. Since I learned so much from all of you I thought I would share some of our experience with you. 

The ship & our cabin - Loved everything...the light colors, the lighting, the artwork, and the shiny surfaces. Never seen a ship so clean & bright! We had an Aquamarine 2018 cabin and it was by far the best cabin we have ever had. I think I could have lived there. The bathroom was so beautiful and roomy with the double sinks and the shower was amazing and so easy to use. The only thing we missed was lounge chairs on the deck overlooking the pool but on the last day we discovered a nook on the upper deck which was pretty private and breezy so we were happy.

The food - We are pretty simple eaters and were always able to find something we liked. There were many things that were way too fancy and out there for us but glad they had them for all of you. We enjoyed all of the restaurants but I was most impressed with the Marketplace for breakfast. We are used to buffets on the bigger cruise lines and this one was just so nice. The food was fresh and delicious and the staff that prepared it were the best. Just loved interacting with the "toast guy" every morning. We also really enjoyed the Grill for lunch...much better than others we have been to. What really impressed me was that everyone was so polite and relaxed. Noone was piling up the food, being rude to the staff or pushing to get ahead of you. It is because of this I have never liked the buffet on a ship. I do on Crystal!

The shows & music - We loved the Crystal singers and dancers! Their shows were so fun especially the Broadway tunes and Icons of Rock (probably not what they were actually called, sorry). I love that the lounge and theater were small and you could always see and hear them. The Stardust Lounge was really great as you felt like you were right there on the stage with them. After one of their shows, they opened it up for dancing and we actually danced with some of the dancers. That was one of our favorite nights. The other was the White Night. They played more upbeat music and again we enjoyed dancing. The comedians and the Frank Sinatra singer were good also but the best show by far was the Billy Joel one...wow, incredible! The only downside for us was the lack of variety in the music. We felt that most of it was geared to the ballroom dancers. We loved watching them and occasionally joined them doing our own thing but we would have loved to have had some more classic oldies rock to listen and dance to. The night of the NCAA College Football Championship was really special. We were rooting for Michigan and hoping we could watch it. Crystal had it in the Stardust Lounge on 3 big screen TV's and served us Pigs in a Blanket, popcorn, pizza and beer...it was perfect!

The crew - Yes, they were as amazing as all of you said they were. Not a frown or unkind word from anyone. I don't know how some of them knew our names but they did and remembered them everyday. This was in the Marketplace, by the pool, in the bars and in the main restaurant. An example for you...on the day we found the out of the way spot on the upper deck to lounge, our favorite server, Bryan, found us somehow and brought us ice water and beer the entire time we were there.

Shore excursions - We don't usually do many ship excursions but we did a few on this cruise. It was cool that a member of the ship went with you and actually interacted with everyone. We did a beautiful hike in Les Saintes and a relaxing sail in St. Barts. The catamaran trip in St. Thomas we did was so much like all the trips we have done on other ships (which we thought was fine) but Crystal thought it was not up to their standards and refunded everyone's money. Now, that is pretty amazing!

Overall impressions - We just felt special and happy the entire time. That is the way the ship and the crew made us feel. We were invited to dine with the Hotel Director and three others. He entertained us with his ship stories throughout dinner. We were also invited to the Captain's Quarters for before dinner cocktails. I will never forget these two experiences that make us feel like celebrities. We will definitely be sailing with Crystal again. As I am looking at another cruise for next winter to the Caribbean I can no longer imagine going on Celebrity, Holland America, Carnival or Princess. We couldn't find a Crystal cruise that worked with our schedules so we will be sailing with Regent for the first time. I know it can't live up to Crystal but hoping it will come close.

Hello Amber14, I am glad you enjoyed Crystal.  Hopefully, you are not scheduled to cruise on Regent Mariner.  We were on this ship last December and we were very disappointed.  The Mariner requires an important re-work or fix of the toilet system.  The Mariner is scheduled to go in a dry dock in 2025.  Try to book a more recent Regent ship.

• Like 1

Great review and it sounds like you have been Crystalized.  

I am not sure whether or not you have done this but it would be great if you could use what you wrote to do a review on the Cruise Critic Review section.  You can easily copy and paste what you wrote and do the various ratings as part of the review.

I think those who have never sailed with Crystal and check oiut your review as part of their research would benefit a great deal.

I also enjoyed your posts on the other thread inclkuding first impressions.

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I am delighted you had a great time!  I'm also glad to hear that a Crystal team member accompanied you on excursions, and refunded money where the excursion was not good.

Have you ever sailed on any other luxury line before this, for an equivalent comparison?  If so, which one?

Or, if not, when you were on X and HAL, were you in a "suite", or just in regular cabins?  The " suite" service  experience on premium or high mainstream lines (depending on how you classify X and HAL), would be closer to a luxury line experience than just a regular cabin on those lines, especially on X where suites have their own dining room access and where you can mostly avoid the rude  "people who pile food" problem.  But of course when you leave your suite area, you still have to mingle with the masses. 

I see you have another luxury line, Regent, scheduled next year, so you are branching out.

Generally (though not always), the more you pay per square foot of public space, and private space, the better your experience.  The thing I like most about luxury lines is that there are, with rare exceptions, almost never lines (for dining, for tenders, and for entertainment venues),  and generally fellow pax  are more polite (again, with exceptions).

I wish you further happy sailing.

We sailed with Oceania on Riviera in 2022 but I guess many don't consider that a luxury line but we loved the ship although Crystal was way above in terms of service and entertainment and food. We have always been in a regular cabin, never a suite, so Crystal was our first suite. I'm not sure we can ever go back to a non-suite now. The extra space and the big closet were so nice especially since we are now traveling more nights. This Crystal cruise was 13 nights, the most for us. We could never have fit our clothes in the tiny closet in the regular veranda room.

We did look at getting a suite on Celebrity but since the cost was so similar to Crystal and Regent, we decided to stick with the luxury lines. I just love the smaller ship and less passengers and you are so right...everyone is so polite and kind. It felt like an experience I have seen on movies from the 50's like "Affair to Remember" and the way cruising was when we started in 1990. We have also gotten a little old for the extremely loud pop music everywhere and from what I've read that is the norm on Celebrity now.

Thanks for the well wishes and happy sailing to you, too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I appreciate your comments. In a future Crystal cruise, I hope you will try again the cuisine that you thought was too fancy for you. The Waterside chef creates dishes with subtle nuances, a small swish of sauce and tiny garnishes that blend together in perfect harmony. These are some of the best dishes I've ever encountered. And there are multiple options every night, so it is easy to find something that seems familiar. 

Thank you!

We are definitely branching out and trying more things. I had many amazing fish dishes and delicious pastas which are my favorite things for dinner and my husband had lots of beef which he loved. I do love the different sauces also and the flavors they create and I like when they come on the side or plate as opposed to on the meat. I guess fancy is probably not the right word. We just aren't adventurous eaters and stay away from dishes like octopus, sushi, liver, lamb, caviar, snails, etc. Many nights I had to use Google to figure out what items were on the menu. Believe me, it was never hard to find something we wanted on the menu and most of the time it was hard to choose! We were so glad they had such a variety. We are getting more adventurous on every cruise though so maybe one day...

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Great review and it sounds like you have been Crystalized.  

I am not sure whether or not you have done this but it would be great if you could use what you wrote to do a review on the Cruise Critic Review section.  You can easily copy and paste what you wrote and do the various ratings as part of the review.

I think those who have never sailed with Crystal and check oiut your review as part of their research would benefit a great deal.

I also enjoyed your posts on the other thread inclkuding first impressions.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I will try to post a review soon. All of your info and others on this board really helped us decided to try Crystal and I am so glad we did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

How does it compare to O?

Even though we really enjoyed our experience on Oceania Riviera, I believe Crystal topped it in every way. As many have said, it is hard to really describe what it is but everything just seemed to be a notch above Oceania and many notches above other cruiselines. Oceania's specialty restaurants were equal to Crystal's food but their main dining room didn't come close to Crystal nor did the buffet.  We liked the shows on Oceania also even though others do not. We don't need crazy acrobats, complicated stories or magicians, just some good musical and dance shows and Oceania had that. Crystal, however, had the same type of shows but were so much better. The quality of the singers and dancers really impressed me on such a small ship. We thought we would never find a ship as beautiful as Oceania but again Crystal took it one step further and we were wowed. Our room was decorated beautifully with colors of the sea. I love that the artwork was all ocean-related instead of gaudy, modern, abstract, etc. Our room on Oceania was beautiful also with light colors but without the turquoise & blue, it lacked that special feeling of the sea.

As I said before the only thing that was lacking was the variety of music played in the evening. We felt it was geared to a much older crowd and we are 64. I don't want Crystal to stop playing this kind of music but they need to add some variety. We enjoyed the piano bar on Oceania more than on Crystal. He would play requests and most of his songs were 60's,70's, 80's rock ballads/songs. The piano player on Crystal was very personable and extremely talented but it was more of a show and he spent a lot of time talking to guests that he apparently knew from other cruises. (Not a criticism, just our take...he was very popular and everyone loved him!)

7 hours ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

Hello Amber14, I am glad you enjoyed Crystal.  Hopefully, you are not scheduled to cruise on Regent Mariner.  We were on this ship last December and we were very disappointed.  The Mariner requires an important re-work or fix of the toilet system.  The Mariner is scheduled to go in a dry dock in 2025.  Try to book a more recent Regent ship.

Thank you! We are booking the Grandeur, their newest ship. It looks beautiful but maybe a bit over the top for us. We will see! It has a wonderful Southern Caribbean itinerary which is similar to the one we just did on Serenity. Most ports are smaller, less frequented islands, some that are new to us. This is another thing we enjoyed about Crystal. The itinerary was so different from the big cruise lines and most of the days we were the only ship in port. It will be the same on Grandeur.

• Like 1

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we had dinner one night at the Supper Club in the Stardust Lounge. We asked our butler to make us a reservation the day we boarded and he was able to get us one on the last formal night. If you have never experienced it, you should. It was so fun. We sat with another couple we met and were entertained and served in a way that felt so intimate and unique. The food was fabulous and we had Alaskan King Crab Legs which we have never had on any cruise!

• Like 2

Amber 14, thank you for your nice review. I am glad you had such a beautiful time and nice experiences that made you feel like a VIP (the invitations from the Hotel Director and the Captain). I am sure your suite was beautiful appointed. 

I was on the same cruise with you and I agree with several of your observations. But as a solo passenger I did not have the suite experience you are describing. I just had the solo cabin and it did not include any VIP treatment. I had a very nice cruise also and this was not my first time with Crystal, so I knew more or less what to expect.

I have enjoyed very much the itinerary. Some ports of call were new for me and I have liked specially the French ports of call very much. 

Crystal has very nice itineraries, so maybe your time will allow for you to book again with Crystal. 

Have a wonderful time with Regent. I have cruised with several cruise lines but never tried Regent because I am very independent and I like to explore the ports on my own. The concept of Regent of having the included excursions does not appeal to me. But I am sure you will also have a wonderful cruise.

Ivi

38 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Amber 14, thank you for your nice review. I am glad you had such a beautiful time and nice experiences that made you feel like a VIP (the invitations from the Hotel Director and the Captain). I am sure your suite was beautiful appointed. 

I was on the same cruise with you and I agree with several of your observations. But as a solo passenger I did not have the suite experience you are describing. I just had the solo cabin and it did not include any VIP treatment. I had a very nice cruise also and this was not my first time with Crystal, so I knew more or less what to expect.

I have enjoyed very much the itinerary. Some ports of call were new for me and I have liked specially the French ports of call very much. 

Crystal has very nice itineraries, so maybe your time will allow for you to book again with Crystal. 

Have a wonderful time with Regent. I have cruised with several cruise lines but never tried Regent because I am very independent and I like to explore the ports on my own. The concept of Regent of having the included excursions does not appeal to me. But I am sure you will also have a wonderful cruise.

Ivi

We also loved the itinerary. We enjoy the smaller, quainter islands and wasn't it nice that we were the only ship in port on many of the islands? We also enjoy exploring on our own or going with smaller excursions we book ourselves so taking more ship excursions will be new to us also. 

Thanks for the well wishes and happy sailing to you also.  I am sorry you didn't have the same VIP experience. I think it may have been because we were first timers and not because of the suite we were in but who knows? We never could figure out why we were invited.

Edited by Amber14

Can anyone weigh in on the availability of single cabins? Are they comfortable? Well positioned on the ship…as in not next to the laundry or staircase or butlers’ pantries? Are there ever promotions for low single supplements?

Thanks in advance for any information, suggestions and personal experiences.

‘ 

28 minutes ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Can anyone weigh in on the availability of single cabins? Are they comfortable? Well positioned on the ship…as in not next to the laundry or staircase or butlers’ pantries? Are there ever promotions for low single supplements?

‘ 

Single cabins are great for one person.  Plenty of room even on a world cruise.  None on Serenity are next to laundries, etc.  no promos needed as the supplement is very small.

But they are very few in number …14 on Serenity…and all are far forward and subject to exaggerated movement in rough seas like we are experiencing now. 

Dwight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the swift reply!

On the promos aspect: Do they ever sell regular cabins meant for two at a special lower cost as a special reduced rate for a single? Silversea does this for quite a few cruises throughout the year. Hard to find this price break for specific itineraries so it’s kind of hit and miss. And you have to look constantly because the offer is often withdrawn as the cruise fills up.

1 hour ago, CruisinPashmina said:

‘ 

I can tell you about my experience. My solo cabin was nice, well appointed and taken care from a wonderful cabin attendant and junior butler. Small closet but enough.

The solo cabins come with a lower supplement. It is not zero but I think it is around 10 % of a double occupancy. I would have to look on my solo bookings to be able to tell you how much.

The big disadvantages of the Solo cabins is that they are located forward and there is no balcony. Fortunately during my cruise the seas were smooth. I did not feel any ship movement. I do not know how this feels in case of rough seas. There are only few of those cabins available and they sell out very fast. 

I felt that the air could get very dry and heavy because there is no possibility of getting fresh air. I was able to get a small humidifier and this improved the quality of the air. I have opened the door quite often to get some air from outside the cabin.

As a guest on those solo cabins you are in the lowest category posible for guests. I was not aware that this is the case until some one told me this onboard when I went to enquire about something. I have got a funny feeling never felt on any of my solo cruises because of this. For the perdiem you pay as a solo  passenger on Crystal you could book a concierge cabin on Celebrity or a balcony suite with Explora or at least a veranda cabin in Azamara and Mein Schiff.

At Crystal you have on board, access to everything that guests in the other categories have and it is not like on Cunard or those ships wit yacht concepts like MSC in which you do not have access if you did not pay for that category.

I have heard that there is the possibility to book the cabins for double occupancy as a solo with solo supplements of about 50% (this would give you a better location, but still no balcony). At the moment I have booked my cruises, this was not possible. Unfortunately we are not able to benefit from the current three category upgrade offer unless we pay almost the price of another cruise. 

I wish the new Crystal would reinstate the policy of the old Crystal with the lower solo supplements in all categories. This is my wish thinking, but who knows…

Now, I like Crystal very much and I cruise solo many times. I have booked those solo cabins because of the price and because of my willingness to sail on Crystal. I enjoyed my cruise and I am sure I will enjoy the following cruises. 

Ivi

Your long thorough report was very helpful! Thank you. It is a shame that Crystal doesn’t discount, at least somewhat, the higher category cabins. As a long time (20 years plus) exclusively Silversea cruiser, I am now interested in trying something new….the single cabins are indeed inviting. While I have booked the regular fare, for two, and travelled solo, it really smarts to pay a full fare.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Your long thorough report was very helpful! Thank you. It is a shame that Crystal doesn’t discount, at least somewhat, the higher category cabins. As a long time (20 years plus) exclusively Silversea cruiser, I am now interested in trying something new….the single cabins are indeed inviting. While I have booked the regular fare, for two, and travelled solo, it really smarts to pay a full fare.

At this time, the other cabins not designated as solo are usually (important distinction) available at 50% single supplement for that category, or about 40% more than those designated as solo. The only difference is the location more midship. I don't know about the identical cabins on the other decks with a balcony. Those are also identical to the Deck 7 cabins except the balcony. All suites are 100% single supplement usually (see above). I'm a long time Crystal cruiser and have done 1 Silversea with another booked and can tell you that everything on Crystal, especially food and service is better. Others disagree, but that's the way life goes!! 😱

Patty

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For many years we were very happy to sail on deck 7 non verandah cabins as a couple. We also sailed in verandah cabins, but never suites. Just to be on a Crystal ship was wonderful. Our second favorite of the so called luxury lines is Seabourn. We have recently sailed a couple of times on Silversea and tried Viking. In our opinion, the Crystal total experience far surpasses any  of those as well as Oceania. Looking forward to our April cruise on the Symphony in an Aquamarine stateroom, taking advantage of the upgrade promotion. I once hung a 14 slot shoe hanger on the wall in one of the window staterooms much to my husband’s chagrin. If needed, in order to sail Crystal, will do it again! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, barcrab said:

For many years we were very happy to sail on deck 7 non verandah cabins as a couple. We also sailed in verandah cabins, but never suites. Just to be on a Crystal ship was wonderful. Our second favorite of the so called luxury lines is Seabourn. We have recently sailed a couple of times on Silversea and tried Viking. In our opinion, the Crystal total experience far surpasses any  of those as well as Oceania. Looking forward to our April cruise on the Symphony in an Aquamarine stateroom, taking advantage of the upgrade promotion. I once hung a 14 slot shoe hanger on the wall in one of the window staterooms much to my husband’s chagrin. If needed, in order to sail Crystal, will do it again! 

You will love the Aquamarine Suite! It truly spoiled us so much that I'm not sure we can ever go back to a veranda cabin again.

• Like 1

I have sailed solo on Regent four times since Covid and enjoyed the experience. I was in Concierge category, large cabin, beautiful bathroom and large veranda. The food was wonderful as was entertainment and most excursions. However, I booked my first cruise as a solo on the Serenity two months ago in a singles cabin. I loved everything about Crystal including the solo fare. It was a warm, friendly ship and very inclusive for single travelers. I feel the food was equal or better than Regent and I felt totally comfortable with the experience on board. I have my next cruise booked on the Serenity and am looking forward to sailing with them again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1