Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You can see our menus right from your app at home. Just download the app and go to our daily menus. They have everything posted. Let us know if you can’t find them 

I am of course aware that menus are viewable on the Navigator app. But they are somewhat generic and not specific to any particular ship or itinerary. I cannot find a way to see specific menus for any of HAL's ongoing sailings. If anyone knows how, please enlighten me 🙂

The current World and Australia & New Zealand Grand Voyages have some special offerings on the MDR menu (and perhaps the Lido too) as did our 150th Anniversary transatlantic cruise last April. 

So my request was to try to see if "Legendary" voyages have any similar unique menu offerings. 

TIA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I cannot find a way to see specific menus for any of HAL's ongoing sailings. If anyone knows how, please enlighten me 🙂

I believe that is your problem. Can someone please help this gentleman get to the Koningsdam menus in the app? 

You can see our exact menu in the app. Be sure to click on Koningsdam. It is not generic (at least it wasn’t generic the last several sailings). You have to navigate to Koningsdam. 

Im not on ship wifi or I’d post todays menu for you to cross reference. My husband can see the menu before I do because he is awake on east coast time :).

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I log into Navigator, I can only see menus for the Volendam Grand Australia cruise because that's the ship on which I will be sailing later this year.  I don't see any way to choose the ship in Navigator to see another ship's menus.  I'm guessing that BermudaBound2014 could see the Koningsdam menus in Navigator prior to embarkation because she was booked on the Koningsdam.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe that is your problem. Can someone please help this gentleman get to the Koningsdam menus in the app? 

You can see our exact menu in the app. Be sure to click on Koningsdam. It is not generic (at least it wasn’t generic the last several sailings). You have to navigate to Koningsdam. 

Im not on ship wifi or I’d post todays menu for you to cross reference. My husband can see the menu before I do because he is awake on east coast time :).

Is it possible your husband logs onto the Navigator App with your id and that's why he has access to the detailed info on your sailing?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ahhh… my apologies for the confusion. Hubby is probably logged in as me back home. Here is a menu for tonight. I’ll try to remember to grab them for you. 

Thank you!

It looks like there are the usual suspects but with the addition of a "crew dish" and "vegetable of the day". I think I will find these quite interesting when we are on next year's version of this cruise. 

And Mitzi (DW) will definitely keep an eye on the "liquid dessert of the day" 🍹

No need to go out of your way to post more menus (but I would enjoy seeing them), this one answered my questions. 

Keep enjoying your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the menus.  We are doing a Legendary Voyage next year so we’re also curious about the menu.  It looks like some of the usual and a couple things a little different.  More choices I think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It had been six days since we saw land, and Hilo was a welcome site. My sister has a condo in Kona, and I’ve spent a fair bit of time on the big island so no tour planned.

Started the day with tai chi. The instructor is adorable and a hoot. I’ll post his name later because I want to get the spelling right. He is also the picket ball master. He has the perfect job for his personality.

I decided to take the free shuttle to the farmers market. From there I walked to rainbow Falls. I’m guessing it was less than 3 miles, but it was all uphill, so take that into account if you plan to make the journey by foot. Spent some relaxed time at the falls just letting all my senses absorb the energy. Hawaii really is different than the mainland. From its core. 

I headed back to the ship by Uber ($15) because I much prefer walking uphill to walking down. 

While i was at the falls I ran into another new lifetime friend. She was on a tour. I was on foot.  We snapped a selfie I will cherish. Every single person I have spent time with onboard has been a gem. 

Back onboard I had a salad for lunch. The salads are exceptional. They had prime rib on both the mdr and lido dinner menu so that was dinner. It was excellent.

I spent some time at sail away watching several different groups of whales off the starboard side. Several pickle breaches from a calf. Surprisingly, they were here all day which is a bit unusual for the hill area.

This evening was a comic. He made me laugh couple times. Funny side story- few weeks ago we were on a carnival ship. Carnival does comedy right (6 different performers offering 12 different shows in a one week time period). Anyway, one of the comics poked fun of the comedy offered on HAL and his stereotype proved bang on. Let’s just say this was a very clean comedy show and I believe most of the audience preferred this style.

So a Hilo summary for those without tours - there is a free shuttle to the farmers market. From there you can walk to rainbow falls. I just saved you $129 pp 🙂

To get back to the ship the free shuttle does its last return at 11:45 ( this company does an island tour at noon. The ship charges $149 but they will sell you direct for $60). If you miss the free shuttle, the farmers market itself has a free small van shuttle that runs on the half hour until 1:00. 

After 1:00 the city bus is free and picks up from the farmers market area on the 15s. It drops you off just outside of the pier so a little walking is involved w this option. Ride share will be less than $15 from town and can drive right up to the ship. 

96D6B75D-407F-4840-AA41-1E4A7B935330.jpeg

4AF43E72-E315-45F6-9CAD-A44A1C138674.jpeg

8AA61A90-32A2-460B-A735-E13B0090052C.jpeg

DD624A6E-989C-4781-8B37-CDDA7AC70FF7.jpeg

524CE518-DE69-4490-8E56-838F6E2670B0.jpeg

9D822B31-1BF0-4B54-94F5-47F2C9E1E5B3.jpeg

0A6D7AAB-BE9B-4AFB-96AA-AC98DFB29D4F.jpeg

C058E5B1-19C8-429D-BE7D-6D97134D403F.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 14

My goodness…you sure are up early & quite productive this morning. 

Those of you on this trip have me looking at room options for next year’s sailing. I even found a solo oceanview stateroom. I didn’t really expect to see that online as I thought they required a phone call. I don’t normally look at anything less than a balcony, so that may be why I hadn’t seen a solo before. By the way, these were “private” fares that showed a bit of discount. Do people generally book HIA on these longer trips, or buy the desired extras separately?

• Like 2

Last night dinner in the MDR I chose calf liver & onions.  Was very tender & delicious.  MrBear had the double serving of ribs which were also tender (no side dish for him except we both had Caesar salad to start). 

On a side note I tried both the red non-alcoholic wine and the white non- alcoholic wine and preferred the white.  I asked for brand but they had no idea so for those that wondered, they do have both. 

It is pretty bouncy coming into Maui so I hope we make it. Looking like we will make it!

IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

Edited by canadianbear
Add photo
  • Like 5

@ORTravelGal

I have looked for solo cabins when browsing but never saw any so will have to see when I’m home if they show for me.  A friend wants to do Alaska (so we’d both pick solo cabins).

We chose HIA when we booked mainly because we pay our whole fare in Canadian dollars & when we booked it included the gratuities as well.  If I went solo I would not book the HIA as it doesn’t matter to me if I drink.  I would miss the internet to keep in touch with family so I’d really have to weigh the options regarding HIA.  

• Like 3

Bad report, look away if you don’t like bad.  We left very early yesterday morning and skipped both breakfast and lunch subsisting on very good coffee which is not unusual for us.  So when the doors opened at the  MDR we were there.  We sat at our table for 2 at precisely 5 pm.  Our orders were taken for food only.  At 6 we just received our salad and my DH had never been even asked for his bar order.  At 6:10 DH left to eat in the lido, at 6:20 when no food arrived I did the same.  My nearby neighbors had not been served either.  This is the Koningsdam MDR I recall from 2019.  They just will not fix it.  When I arrived in the lido the Maitre D was on my heels and asked me why I left and I simply said because I was very hungry.  He apologized profusely but that does not excuse such shoddy service. Up until this time service had been adequate and I am not one who demands a fast dinner but a full hour with no service is not acceptable 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Bad report, look away if you don’t like bad...This is the Koningsdam MDR I recall from 2019.  They just will not fix it... I am not one who demands a fast dinner but a full hour with no service is not acceptable 

I don't understand why K'dam MDR is such a struggle and why it is SO different than other ships. Dec/Jan I commented more than once regarding 2+ hour service and hoped it would improve, but clearly it hasn't. It's disappointing. 

@Mary229 if you figure it out, I hope you'll let us know. Maybe the Maitre D is open to a candid conversation? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 5

On 2/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Oh that looks nice. When it comes to totes, Legendary Voyages is the new Club Orange (see what I did there)?  Someone better alert @POA1

Just catching up after a busy week, but I both excited for you and envious of you for the tote bag.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I don't understand why K'dam MDR is such a struggle and why it is SO different than other ships. Dec/Jan I commented more than once regarding 2+ hour service and hoped it would improve, but clearly it hasn't. It's disappointing. 

@Mary229 if you figure it out, I hope you'll let us know. Maybe the Maitre D is open to a candid conversation? 🤷‍♀️

They are quite aware of the active cruise critic posters and they read this board.  If there is any update I will let you know. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1