Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

Social media group gathering was very well attended. I’m guessing about 300! The host had a speech prepared. She was lovely, very excited, and quite detailed focused. Just so everyone is clear, since I volunteered to step up for the Cruise critic meeting tomorrow, there will be no speech, there will be no excitement, and my focus is always limited :). Remember, the key to understanding me is keeping low expectations. 

I will try to gather everyone for a group photo at 11, but other than that, the group is on their own to meet and mingle (of course, if anyone from our amazing roll call wants the mic I’ll gladly hand it over). 

From there I attended a solo lunch. The dining room was lovely and our service was very good. I had some sort of goat cheese thing and a spinach salad. Cherrys jubilee for dessert was excellent. 

Got my 5 miles in on the promenade. It’s not a pretty promenade like some ships, but it’s FREeZInG out so the protection the lifeboats offered from the wind was welcomed. Once it warms up I’ll head to the track. I packed everything but my parka so that was not happening today. 

Solo gathering at 5:30. The HAL rep didn’t show but I had name tags 🤣. A person named Mark arranged 3 large solo tables for lunch every sea day at noon. Another lady is trying to get something set up for dinner. I am not a fan of the MDR I will likely not participate in either,  but I do respect when people step up to get things organized! 

The solo group on this cruise is very large and I think HAL is missing the boat (pun intended) by not putting something together for a daily sole meet up. It doesn’t need to be hosted, Just a line in the app like “solo meet at 6:00 in Rolling Stones” would be sufficient. Solos are a growing share of the industry and HAL would be wise to pay attention. 

Massage at 6:30 was amazing. I added some rejuvenating hot stone ritual as an upsell. Ann is just too cute to resist. Yesterday Ann gave me a sample massage and I loved both her energy and talent so I booked the massage with her. I can highly recommend Ann!! No seriously. I know my massage girls and she is top notch. She has the organic energy that it takes to be a top masseuse in her field. She specializes in healing energy and is working on my wrist injury. Book your massage with Ann. You will not be disappointed. 

From my massage I headed to 

Happy hour at 9 in the crows nest for a nightcap. It’s very nice of HAL to do 50% off. I haven’t seen that on any other line in a very long time. As a solo, I did not get the drink package because it’s a very bad idea for me to get the drink package without a babysitter. Needless to say, the half off offer is very much appreciated. 

With that said, I would have been extremely disappointed if I had gotten the drink package because I was informed tonight by the bartender that not a single bar on this ship can make a spicy jalapeño Margarita. Seriously? Not one?? I haven’t been on a ship in the last decade that doesn’t have those ingredients. A real first world problem, but Hal will likely lose a good portion of what I budgeted for drinking. 

Tried The Rolling Stones roCk room but the set was titled “unplugged”. Unplugged means slow and mellow for those unaware. I stayed for a Frampton tune at 3/4 speed and “You’ve got a friend” and that was my limit. When they start belting out some GnR I’ll be on the dance floor. 

About 9:45 I Realized I hadn’t eaten since lunch, and then I realized everything closes on HAL very early (except pizza). All that realizing made me tired so I went to bed and ordered room service again. Club sandwich was good. Chocolate Milk is still “unavailable” and I plan to join said chocolate milk in the very same “unavailable”

category shortly. 

From the Pacific Ocean were the 15 foot waves are perfect to rock this sea loving girl into a blissful sleep.

Only two pics I took today. A club sandwich and Ann, my 4 foot tall massage goddess.

918CE6BB-AE85-4B2A-A99E-59FAF3C36A6B.jpeg

33C4D94B-6C07-48FF-842E-B63B52EBD132.thumb.jpeg.57f0946c42de742f288245cac3cc378c.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another (retired) Gen X’er here to follow along. My first cruise was in ‘96 on RCCL. Forget the ship name & I’m too damn lazy to look it up but IIRC the passenger count was about 600. Small ship & it was an old one. 

Interesting factoid: I lived in San Diego in my 20s and at one point interviewed at the Hotel Del to be a personal assistant to whoever owned it at that time. Didn’t get the job and that was probably wise on their part because I wouldn’t have been a good ass kisser.

Love Hawaii as well. We spend a month there every winter to get away from the gloom of the PNW. May have to consider the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in the future. 

Enjoying your posts!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The retired Generation Xers are taking over the travel industry.  We were raised by the greatest generation and aren’t afraid to call it like we see it. We aren’t as polite as the baby boomers, but it’s nearly impossible to offend us. We rode bikes without helmets. played jarts for blood, and only came in when the street lights turned on. Built tough. 

Edgy Gen-X Memes for Middle Aged Screams

Ps- You should sign up for the 2025 version of this cruise. I think you are my people. 

• Like 12

Owning my HaHa -- for the first paragraph: 

"Just so everyone is clear, since I volunteered to step up for the Cruise critic meeting tomorrow, there will be no speech, there will be no excitement, and my focus is always limited :). Remember, the key to understanding me is keeping low expectations."

Missing spending time with you and @Mary229 -- hoping for next year! I will follow this entire thread enjoying vicariously. 

As far as Generation, I guess I am (with my two close-spaced siblings) the tail end of the Boomers and my DH near the start of that era. Does that make us bookends? Boom-ends?

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Hi @BermudaBound2014.  I haven't sailed the Pacific but I was surprised to hear that it was freezing outside.  Do you know the air temperature and when do you expect it to warmup?

It also seems like the you have conquered your internet issues, can you do a speed test and let us know what the speeds are in your section of the pacific?

Thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

PS- for the life of me I can’t remember the saying on the shirt we talked about. Care to enlighten? 

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I would have worn it to the M&M!

Here’s mine:

IMG_1147.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On the t-shirt topic...I once saw one that said "People are the Worst"....I regret not getting it, lol.

Enjoying the Koningsdam discussion.  We spent 27 days on her total in Dec/Jan with a short land vacation in between.  There was no band in the Ocean Bar so nice to see this.  Happy hour was always in the Billboard Lounge and not relaxing when the duo was playing.  I tried to get this changed but unsuccessful.  Or, at the very least add another option.  No go.  I see it is now at the Rolling Stone Lounge which is a bit of improvement.  We rarely dined in the DR.  We mainly had lunch at Pinnacle, no dinner except for a few specialty restaurants or an occasional pizza.  The NY Deli was open for breakfast which was a nice not crowded option.  I think now the program is indicating otherwise.

Thank you for doing this live review.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Hi @BermudaBound2014.  I haven't sailed the Pacific but I was surprised to hear that it was freezing outside.  Do you know the air temperature and when do you expect it to warmup?

It also seems like the you have conquered your internet issues, can you do a speed test and let us know what the speeds are in your section of the pacific?

Thanks

The internet is spotty but way better than it’s been pre-Musk’s starlink. Ironically this was the result of the first test-

32343A95-B514-47F5-9ECF-69DDF322069B.jpeg

Here are a couple more tests. 

3707796C-70C6-4322-941E-A12BE5B8EAF0.jpeg

C6FBBA6D-DEF3-4474-856F-88874F8F20D2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

We were at the 6pm show. Almost full but some seats available around the edge. And we agree, the comedian was pretty funny. 
We ate in the MDR, and it was great. Took right at an hour. Food was good and service was awesome. Then we went to BB kings, Rock bar and dueling pianos. All were impressive. A good evening of entertainment. Our last two cruises on Oceania didn’t have much in the way of live entertainment after dinner so this was a real treat. 

Thanks for the update about the 6pm show as that will be the one we have to attend when we do our MDR meals.   The 8pm show had people sitting on the steps which I’m surprised was allowed as in the past they’ve been told they can’t. 

• Like 1

First day in the game room had euchre, train dominoes- thank you Rhonda & Keith for teaching some newbies, Hand & foot, also with newbies, Cribbage and Pinochle. Crafters next to us had mountains of yarn, thanks to Elizabeth. Thanks to Lani for following up with catering and housekeeping. Nice afternoon.  

Very easy to reserve the room- for future cruisers- free and very accommodating. 

come join us!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Ipeeinthepools the weather is also spotty. Temp in my nav app says 64 but with the wind yesterdays walk felt MUCH cooler. 

Weather in San Diego also required a zip up hoodie, especially if you got out of sun or into wind.

For this cruise most reports indicate the first few days and the last few days are notoriously cool with a higher seas. This cruise seems to fit that typical stereotype.

I love the seas so this rocking is right up my alley, and my mom always said there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad dressers. Moral of the story bring layers and Dramamine. 🙂 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Weather in San Diego also required a zip up hoodie, especially if you got out of sun or into wind.

Our guide in San Diego could spot the midwesterners in the group. We were in shirt sleeves while everyone else was wearing parkas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2024 at 5:44 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think HAL needs to up their game.

You are spot on!  The website is the glitchiest in the industry - granted I'm only comparing it to Oceania, Regent and Viking but if HAL's website works half the time I feel lucky.  I had an awful embarkation in Boston in 2022.  We thought it would be easy - in and out of Boston on a 24 day Iceland/Greenland cruise.  Nope.  Contradiction in boarding times and when we arrived a line way out the door and we were in for over 2 hours.  Even the HAL contract agents inside said it was the worst embarkation they had been through with that line.  

Looking forward to following your trip - I am traveling with 1 maybe 2 friends in October on the Vancouver to San Diego on the Kongingsdam and I have a cabana reserved for us.  I did this trip in 2016 for my retirement cruise on a much smaller ship and loved it. 

Wishing you smooth sailing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The new Legendary Voyages fabric, double stitched tote.  Very sturdy and larger. 

Oh that looks nice. When it comes to totes, Legendary Voyages is the new Club Orange (see what I did there)?  Someone better alert @POA1

• Like 2
  • Haha 4