Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

Ok... what the heck?!  This EXACT same cruise last year was NOT deemed "legendary" (hence, no fancy bags), and I do NOT recall a plethora of lobster tails in the Lido!! I need a do-over! 😲⬆️

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, julia said:

Ok... what the heck?!  This EXACT same cruise last year was NOT deemed "legendary" (hence, no fancy bags), and I do NOT recall a plethora of lobster tails in the Lido!! I need a do-over!

Waiting for you here:

February 15 - March 22, 2025 ... 35-Day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas - Page 17 - Koningsdam Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

It better be legendary next year!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The entertainment has been great-we enjoyed “The Company Men” performance tonight before our late dining.

Supper was delicious too.  So far this cruise has been a pleasant surprise in food & entertainment.  Not sure if the video will load but I’ll try. Apparently it won’t upload.  Sigh.  

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For those looking for a more sedate lunch we ate at the Dutch Cafe today and easily ordered and found a table. New pea soup recipe is almost as good as mine😊. Friends said the 10th floor deli and pizza is not terribly crowded either.  We have also eaten in the MDR for lunch with ease.  Yes, the lunch menu does change daily.    The lido is a zoo and with no taco bar at the Dive Inn that is not as interesting. The burgers there are not as good as they once were.  

so I have to ask is that coke machine or beer bar ever available?  This is my third sailing on a Pinnacle class ship and they are always unavailable 

Never been available when I've been on, including as recently as Dec/Jan on K'dam.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, julia said:

Ok... what the heck?!  This EXACT same cruise last year was NOT deemed "legendary" (hence, no fancy bags), and I do NOT recall a plethora of lobster tails in the Lido!! I need a do-over! 😲⬆️

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Julia- There are at least a dozen of us on this cruise that are doing it over next year.  Sign that bad boy up!! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wonder if HAL is pulling out all of the stops knowing how much social media & online presence this cruise has gathered. I was just on the previous cruise and paid the $18 up charge for steak & one lobster tail in the MDR…but now they are serving unlimited amounts in the buffet!?!  😳

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

I wonder if HAL is pulling out all of the stops knowing how much social media & online presence this cruise has gathered. I was just on the previous cruise and paid the $18 up charge for steak & one lobster tail in the MDR…but now they are serving unlimited amounts in the buffet!?!  😳

It is quite possible 🤷‍♀️. I do know this cruise we are on now is fantastic so far.  We booked it a long time ago & only found out it was called a Legendary cruise when we got the bags in our stateroom.  

The dining has truly been a step up from our cruise in November on the Eurodam, especially in the MDR. 

Last night we cancelled our Tamarind reservations when we saw the MDR menu offering escargot and lobster etc. Service was great too. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

I was just on the previous cruise and paid the $18 up charge for steak & one lobster tail in the MDR…but now they are serving unlimited amounts in the buffet!?

On my last three cruises since October they served unlimited in the lido

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went to the cooking demo today.  They served 2,000+ lobster last night between MDR and Lido.  And said lobster is on the regular menu twice more on this cruise!

Demo was fun too.

unfortunately, we missed the 8pm show last night. We were there at 7:35- packed already.  Have to go about 45 minutes early for popular shows.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Homer88 said:

Went to the cooking demo today.  They served 2,000+ lobster last night between MDR and Lido.  And said lobster is on the regular menu twice more on this cruise!

Demo was fun too.

unfortunately, we missed the 8pm show last night. We were there at 7:35- packed already.  Have to go about 45 minutes early for popular shows.

We were both there too.  The 2 chefs were hilarious!  

Was good to hear more lobsters dinners coming as well. 

• Like 3

We are still sailing toward Hawaii but the seas have calmed and the temperature is rising. First two days had 15-20 foot swells, so the ship had movement. It was also cooler that I expected. On Day three they opened the sliding dome over the pool for the first time and when the sun is shining, it’s starting to feel like the tropics.

Nothing exciting to report for day 5. I’ve settled into a very relaxed pace and spent the entire day in the thermal spa. It’s not the most fancy spa on the seas, but it got the job done. Lasso-thermal pool, heated tile loungers, sauna, steam, and a relaxation room.

I’ve never been on a cruise with this many sea days and it’s quite lovely to slow the pace. I feel no rush to “get everything in” as I still have 30 days to explore. There are parts of the ship I haven’t even seen yet. 

Here are some pics of the thermal spa. A really nice way to spend a sea day. 

E269C510-EEB6-4AAD-A1C3-73626322563B.jpeg

86B427AC-970E-48B2-A452-FD9F7D920CCA.jpeg

13ECA641-7BE6-4BB4-B4B0-1C02F152F856.jpeg

B87D9A1B-0B29-44EB-A6D3-221E108739D5.jpeg

AEC03F82-B574-4F83-85F0-C86FE5F9A840.jpeg

338B115F-3FBE-407C-92DA-C582D62A85FB.jpeg

2C3C8807-F9BF-450F-AD55-A181DF5AA73D.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

That looks so nice & relaxing!

I’m trying to decide whether to purchase a pass to the thermal spa on an upcoming transatlantic cruise. Did you purchase a pass for the entire trip or for the day? Sounds like you feel the value is there for the cost?

• Like 2

We had dinner in the Canaletto last night.  They were super busy (overbooked apparently) so we had to come back about 30 minutes after our reserved time.  After that it went very well.  I only took photos of what I had (but forgot to take a photo of my appetizer which was the grilled tiger shrimp & it was delicious), Osso Bucco & for dessert, the tiramisu.  

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg

PS-I’m sorry if my photos are too large but I have no idea how to make them smaller 🤷‍♀️

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

I’m trying to decide whether to purchase a pass to the thermal spa on an upcoming transatlantic cruise. Did you purchase a pass for the entire trip or for the day? Sounds like you feel the value is there for the cost?

Not OP, but weighing in. I book for the entire cruise and use it in some capacity every day, even port days. $50/day adds up quickly if you go daily. But if you only go a few times/wk that may be the better value for you. It's kinda like a drink package where you gotta do the math. Either way you go - enjoy!

• Like 4

OH.MY.GOSH….. 

What an amazing surprise to come back to my cabin to this beautiful bouquet and thank you card for my participation in helping organize tours on the roll call. An act of kindness that brought a little tear to my eye. I always believe in the goodness of people, but this gesture takes the cake.

I am speechless (and I suspect you folks know how rare that is).
Seriously, I don’t know what to do other than muster up all my aloha energy send it to this beautiful soul- 

@canadianbear I am beyond grateful!!! 

08BA9FD9-F3CE-403E-9CE8-229EF4342AF4.jpeg

98BBF79A-1288-475C-82F5-76E9C9612C20.jpeg

1E51B691-D850-4236-B74D-C6CA4AD0F35D.jpeg

B1543EEA-4941-4682-9FAD-1178D1424F90.jpeg

05FE800D-519B-4B9E-837C-588D623B6B14.jpeg

I now have flowers on my desk and bedside table- my heart is full.

3267250A-AD2F-4310-BF32-A518B5CE1C70.jpeg

3E639AB4-6953-4328-A4D2-AB872CCFA21D.jpeg

Sunflowers are still going strong..

116710C6-ABE2-4FCE-BE65-7C02A843085F.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 23

@BermudaBound2014

you are most welcome.  I always appreciate people who go just that extra mile helping others & you have.  

The florist on the ship is great.  I picked the vase but told him to pick the flowers.  I ordered myself one at the same time, lol.  (I love flowers). The photo attached is what mine looked like.  

@crystalspin if you had been on board you would have received one as well for your organization.  Maybe 2025! 

IMG_2852.jpeg

• Like 18

4 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

Personally, I would not purchase for the entire cruise. The spa area is very nice but it’s not off the charts like day spas on other ships. At $50 it was expensive but worth it to me because I truly needed a day to just kick back and decompress. All this meeting and greeting wears a girl out :). 

I would recommend scheduling it the first few days while its still cold outside. I would buy a one day pass again, but for me, when I buy a whole trip pass I feel obligated to use it everyday and it becomes “something I feel obligated to do” as opposed to a one day treat where I literally spend the entire day detoxing. 

Only you know if you’d use it everyday but, for me, a one day or two day pass is plenty on this itinerary. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

@BermudaBound2014

you are most welcome.  I always appreciate people who go just that extra mile helping others & you have.  

The florist on the ship is great.  I picked the vase but told him to pick the flowers.  I ordered myself one at the same time, lol.  (I love flowers). The photo attached is what mine looked like.  

@crystalspin if you had been on board you would have received one as well for your organization.  Maybe 2025! 

Quick question -

Do you get to keep the vase? Thinking about ordering some for DW when we are on this cruise next year!

Thanks

• Like 3

@BermudaBound2014 I am wondering if you need to update your screen name, lol!  but seriously how nice of you to share this lovely gesture!  Organizing tours is a ton of work, and it often goes unrecognized but sometimes…. 
@canadianbearhow thoughtful!  So nice to recognize that effort!  Always proud of my fellow Canadians!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Lovely, lovely flowers! ⬆️❤️

Regarding the thermal suite pass, you've made a wise choice. Your cruise will soon get HOT and HUMID, and laying on heated loungers will not be appealing!  However, the thermal suite on MY cruise, in 72 days, 10 hours and 17 minutes to Alaska, will be super appealing.  😅

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:51 PM, RPDinSLC said:

Filet and lobster in the MDR

We had filet & lobster one dressy night in the MDR on our recently disembarked 22 day SA & Antarctica cruise.  It was not a Legendary Voyage.  Since I don’t eat beef, I asked for two lobster tails and received them.  They were tasty.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Quick question -

Do you get to keep the vase? Thinking about ordering some for DW when we are on this cruise next year!

Thanks

Yes, the price includes the flowers & vase! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1