Check in on Arvia

glf2710

We’ve just booked for Arvia in June - last year there was a ridiculous check in system whereby everyone had to stand outside (in our case for over 3 hours) before you were allowed into the terminal to check in - is this still the case or has it returned to the previous system of being allowed to wait in the terminal before being called up to check in??

Many thanks

This is an emotive topic on here!

They are still employing a system whereby those who turn up well in advance of the check-in / boarding time they were assigned are / may be held in queues outside until their check-in time.  I think that is entirely right and fair.  Others on this board disagree.

Our experience in late Jan on Iona is that the boarding process is very quick and smooth if you arrive at the time you are allocated (or no more than 15 or 20 minutes before that time).  That's what we did and it took us 20 minutes from getting out of the taxi to stepping on board the ship.  As we walked into the terminal, we passed probably a hundred people 'penned' in a queue outside.

For the vast majority of passengers, there are a raft of options that allow arrival time at the terminal to be matched with the time allocated.  Those have been discussed ad infinitum in related threads on this topic.  Doing that - for most - will be much easier, relaxing and more comfortable than pitching up two or three hours early, being made to queue and then complaining vociferously about it.  I appreciate that for some it may be impossible to time arrival / use alternative options away from the port, but that will only be the case for a handful of passengers with very unusual circumstances.  For the rest, my view is that, if they are able and mobile enough to cruise, they are able and mobile enough to avail themselves of the opportunities away from the terminal that will avoid them having to queue if they are early.  And those who have registered in advance for assistance will almost certainly be allowed to queue inside the terminal if they do arrive early. 

• Like 7

The advice given is that if you arrive at your allotted time (or a bit before) you should be boarded fairly promptly. They do seem to be quite strict although some have been lucky and got on early. Last summer I arrived 1200 for 1230 boarding time but still had to wait outside until 1229 when we were called.

My personal advice would be to only arrive as early as you are able stand outside for.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

The advice given is that if you arrive at your allotted time (or a bit before) you should be boarded fairly promptly. They do seem to be quite strict although some have been lucky and got on early. Last summer I arrived 1200 for 1230 boarding time but still had to wait outside until 1229 when we were called.

My personal advice would be to only arrive as early as you are able stand outside for.

We live an hour,or so away and book CPS parking. We leave fairly early from home and stop at Chandlers Ford for a coffee. About an hour before boarding time we drive the last few miles and pop into Mayflower park to watch the world and the ships go by. Around 30mins to boarding, off to the car park queue. A nice leisurely start to our holiday.

• Like 7

The problem is that for years members of this site have been saying "just turn up when you like" regardless of allocated boarding times. P&O are now quite strict on boarding times and are holding people back and not allowing access to the departure halls if they arrive too early.

Last November we arrived 10 minutes before our allotted time and noticed a large crowd outside Mayflower terminal. We were directed straight inside and straight to the desk, all the while some outside were arguing to be let inside, one chap very vociferously to the point that I thought he may even be denied boarding. 

• Like 3

Hi, does anyone know how your check in time works with the coach. We will be arriving about 1-1.30, what are the latest times to check in and would we have to stand outside? Thanks 

6 minutes ago, debgreg said:

Hi, does anyone know how your check in time works with the coach. We will be arriving about 1-1.30, what are the latest times to check in and would we have to stand outside? Thanks 

If you are with Intercruises you will check in as soon as you arrive, not certain about Eavesway

• Like 2

With Intercruise the pick up times for Arvia and Iona are now about an hour to an hour and a half later so that your check in time is corresponding later. Since this change our check in time has been 3pm but you do go straight to check in. It actually works better with a quiet check in and security. Pick up times for the other ships is as before. 

11 hours ago, zap99 said:

We live an hour,or so away and book CPS parking. We leave fairly early from home and stop at Chandlers Ford for a coffee. About an hour before boarding time we drive the last few miles and pop into Mayflower park to watch the world and the ships go by. Around 30mins to boarding, off to the car park queue. A nice leisurely start to our holiday.

Pretty much the same routine here. And it really builds up the excitement of the cruise

46 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Pretty much the same routine here. And it really builds up the excitement of the cruise

The only stress we get is do we pay to park in Mayflower park, or blag it.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Simple. Just turn up about the time on your boarding pass. Same as for restaurant, cinema, theatre, trains, planes, hotel check in, etc. Or expect to have to wait. 

But the dog ate my boarding pass,  and I'm 2,349,00th in-line for the throne so surely I  can arrive early.

20 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

But the dog ate my boarding pass,  and I'm 2,349,00th in-line for the throne so surely I  can arrive early.

Sometimes, when a Gran Prix is showing in a local pub, our boarding time is 2.00pm....Not a chance, about 4.00 works for us.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:42 PM, gillme said:

With Intercruise the pick up times for Arvia and Iona are now about an hour to an hour and a half later so that your check in time is corresponding later. Since this change our check in time has been 3pm but you do go straight to check in. It actually works better with a quiet check in and security. Pick up times for the other ships is as before. 

Ours is still 7.15 am the same as last time when we arrived about 1.30pm

29 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Last May, I arrived on time for our check in for Arvia at 12.05 for a boarding time of 12.15 and was still waiting in the queue at 12.30!

12.15 boarding pretty early , were you in Suite or high level (Liguirian )  pennisular  club member , thought they used to have priority check in and hospitality lounge. Has this gone (covid excuse for cut backs)

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

12.15 boarding pretty early , were you in Suite or high level (Liguirian )  pennisular  club member , thought they used to have priority check in and hospitality lounge. Has this gone (covid excuse for cut backs)

No, a standard balcony cabin on one of the higher decks and only  Mediterrean in tier.

8 minutes ago, purplesea said:

No, a standard balcony cabin on one of the higher decks and only  Mediterrean in tier.

So there would be a large number of passengers with similiar cabins and status. This seems to me to be a case of P&O giving too many people an early boarding at same time. Better to spread things out more so you don't have to queue 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:17 PM, Fionboard said:

Simple. Just turn up about the time on your boarding pass. Same as for restaurant, cinema, theatre, trains, planes, hotel check in, etc. Or expect to have to wait. 

Nope. Never seen an airport make people stand outside until their flight has been called.

On 2/24/2024 at 10:40 AM, cruising.mark.uk said:

This is an emotive topic on here!

They are still employing a system whereby those who turn up well in advance of the check-in / boarding time they were assigned are / may be held in queues outside until their check-in time.  I think that is entirely right and fair.  Others on this board disagree.

Our experience in late Jan on Iona is that the boarding process is very quick and smooth if you arrive at the time you are allocated (or no more than 15 or 20 minutes before that time).  That's what we did and it took us 20 minutes from getting out of the taxi to stepping on board the ship.  As we walked into the terminal, we passed probably a hundred people 'penned' in a queue outside.

For the vast majority of passengers, there are a raft of options that allow arrival time at the terminal to be matched with the time allocated.  Those have been discussed ad infinitum in related threads on this topic.  Doing that - for most - will be much easier, relaxing and more comfortable than pitching up two or three hours early, being made to queue and then complaining vociferously about it.  I appreciate that for some it may be impossible to time arrival / use alternative options away from the port, but that will only be the case for a handful of passengers with very unusual circumstances.  For the rest, my view is that, if they are able and mobile enough to cruise, they are able and mobile enough to avail themselves of the opportunities away from the terminal that will avoid them having to queue if they are early.  And those who have registered in advance for assistance will almost certainly be allowed to queue inside the terminal if they do arrive early. 

Noted - but we live a 6 hour drive away and have to leave early - a couple of years ago you could just wait in the terminal all warm and dry until you were called - not an issue waiting if you were too early!  i don't think it's appropriate to say if you are able to cruise you can avail yourself of the opportunities available near the terminal!!!  I have back issues - I am mobile but standing for a long time can be an issue.  

2 hours ago, glf2710 said:

Noted - but we live a 6 hour drive away and have to leave early - a couple of years ago you could just wait in the terminal all warm and dry until you were called - not an issue waiting if you were too early!  i don't think it's appropriate to say if you are able to cruise you can avail yourself of the opportunities available near the terminal!!!  I have back issues - I am mobile but standing for a long time can be an issue.  

Stay overnight at a hotel and then you can turn up on time. Recommend Holiday Inn cruise package. 

4 hours ago, glf2710 said:

I suggest filling in the support form and explain you have difficulties in standing, then sending a follow up email of explanation to that department. Obviously if your a very long time away from your time they may not be willing to help but I'm not sure if it applies to all but I and several others were given chairs downstairs for 45 minutes when I had problems with standing and my drop off was 50 minutes before my boarding time. I assume it depends on how in front of time you are if they allow this though.

• Like 1