Basic WiFi package

Traderboy

Can someone please explain how the basic WiFi works.

i want to use it both on my phone and on an iPad. 
Does the system allow this? 
Do you have to keep logging off one device before connecting the other?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can use unlimited devices on each account.

All you do is either logoff on one and log on the other

or

Just log on from second device and it will ask if you want to knock the other one off the air.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Traderboy said:

Hi Jim

Is it possible to use two devices at the same time on one account - literally at the same time?

No... that isn't possible.  As soon as you log on the second one the other gets knocked off the air.

56 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I hope it's ok to ask a different question about basic wifi.   I want to purchase it for my Summit sailing to Alaska, but the only option available is premium.  There's no option to purchase basic.  Anyone know why?

Yes... they dropped it as an option to buy about 2 months ago.   You can still get it as a perk but not as a stand alone purchase. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:43 PM, cruisewiththekids said:

I hope it's ok to ask a different question about basic wifi.   I want to purchase it for my Summit sailing to Alaska, but the only option available is premium.  There's no option to purchase basic.  Anyone know why?

Looks like basic wifi is back , at least on our November TA on the Equinox 

but at that price why would you ? 

IMG_7092.thumb.jpeg.899507f2ceb701d35d5cbe20de74df18.jpeg

Another different WIFI question if you don't mind.  I received an email today with an offer for a spcial price to purchase one of the premium WiFi packages for our October Ascent cruise.  States the offer is only available by phone and not online.  I'll call later today but in the meantime, does anyone know anything about this offer and the prices?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, espmass said:

Another different WIFI question if you don't mind.  I received an email today with an offer for a spcial price to purchase one of the premium WiFi packages for our October Ascent cruise.  States the offer is only available by phone and not online.  I'll call later today but in the meantime, does anyone know anything about this offer and the prices?  Thanks.

I would double check and make sure that email is really from Celebrity.  Check the original email in the header and look at the "reply to" address.  I would also do a search for the phone number they ask you to call.  I cannot remember ever getting an offer of this nature from Celebrity.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I would double check and make sure that email is really from Celebrity.  Check the original email in the header and look at the "reply to" address.  I would also do a search for the phone number they ask you to call.  I cannot remember ever getting an offer of this nature from Celebrity.

Yes, it was from Celebrity.  I did call and the rates are the same as online except that theCaptains Club offers the 25% discount.  Basically the "special" wasn't a special.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chocolabmom said:

Another question about the wifi - Should I leave my phone on airplane mode and use the ship wifi?  Or do I just turn off cellular data and leave it on regular mode?

Just put in airplane mode 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:37 AM, Traderboy said:

Hi Jim

Is it possible to use two devices at the same time on one account - literally at the same time?

Only if you have a Samsung phone, its possible to Share your wifi connection through hotspot, Apple phones NO. 

18 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Just put in airplane mode 

Airplane mode is important, but if you forget, The most important part is to have Data roaming off if you forget to put it in Airplane mode. Data rack up the phone bill.  

5 hours ago, chocolabmom said:

Another question about the wifi - Should I leave my phone on airplane mode and use the ship wifi?  Or do I just turn off cellular data and leave it on regular mode?

YES

I am going on Eclipse in June and I called to order the premium wifi package because it's on sale. I'd be buying for 1 device.  

In the past, I was able to sign out of one device and sign into another, thus only using 1 device at a time. 

According to the agent on the phone, something about the original IP address that you sign on with is the only device that is allowed. Regardless of whether you sign out, you cannot sign in on a different device (different IP address). 

I called again and talked to different people and got this same answer which I still find it hard to believe.

Anyone know of any new changes like this?

5 hours ago, CruiserQ123 said:

I am going on Eclipse in June and I called to order the premium wifi package because it's on sale. I'd be buying for 1 device.  

In the past, I was able to sign out of one device and sign into another, thus only using 1 device at a time. 

According to the agent on the phone, something about the original IP address that you sign on with is the only device that is allowed. Regardless of whether you sign out, you cannot sign in on a different device (different IP address). 

I called again and talked to different people and got this same answer which I still find it hard to believe.

Anyone know of any new changes like this?

This is the first I am hearing of it.  I have used multiple devices one at a time for years on Celebrity, but my last sailing was last year.  I know MSC does it that way but we've not experienced that on Celebrity. 

Hopefully someone sailing now can chime in on their experience. 

On 4/10/2024 at 7:34 AM, Bosjoe said:

Only if you have a Samsung phone, its possible to Share your wifi connection through hotspot, Apple phones NO. 

How do you share a hotspot without using data?

42 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

How do you share a hotspot without using data?

Google your phone model and hotspot.  It should be noted you can also turn a PC with Windows and Macs into hotspots and also could use a travel router