EARLY FLIGHT

WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BOOK A DIRECT FLIGHT AND A SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS ON DELTA AIRLINES. THE PROBLEM IS WE DOCK AT 7:00 AM AND THE FLIGHT LEAVES AT 10:20 A.M.. iF WE CARRY OUR OWN LUGGAGE OFF AND HAVE TRANSPORTATION TO THE AIRPORT DO YOU THINK THAT IS ENOUGH TIME? iT IS ON A SUNDAY IN AUGUST

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE

I've never been to Athens, but assuming this is an international flight you should be at the airport at 3 hours ahead of time. So unless you can get off the second the ship docks (unlikely) and can be at the airport in 20 minutes, I wouldn't even consider it.

8 minutes ago, judydan said:

WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BOOK A DIRECT FLIGHT AND A SIGNIFICANT SAVINGS ON DELTA AIRLINES. THE PROBLEM IS WE DOCK AT 7:00 AM AND THE FLIGHT LEAVES AT 10:20 A.M.. iF WE CARRY OUR OWN LUGGAGE OFF AND HAVE TRANSPORTATION TO THE AIRPORT DO YOU THINK THAT IS ENOUGH TIME? iT IS ON A SUNDAY IN AUGUST

8 minutes ago, judydan said:

I FORGOT TO SAY THIS IS IN ATHENS GREECE

Most airports in Europe request that you arrive at the airport not later than three hours prior to departure of an international flight.  If the ship docks at 7:00 AM, the earliest you may expect to debark the ship would be about 7:30.  Depending upon weather, port conditions, and other possibilities, it could be a bit later.  It's about a 45 minute drive from the port in Piraeus to the Athens airport.  Add to that the time you will need to collect your luggage, pass through customs and immigration, and find a taxi.  There is a slim possibility that you could arrive in time to connect with your flight, but it would require all the stars to align perfectly.  You would avoid a great deal of stress and the chance of missing your flight if you could schedule a later departure.  A 10:20 AM departure from Athens on the day your ship arrives at 7:00 AM is strongly discouraged.

2 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

50/50 chance at best. Make sure you have a plan B if you attempt it.

I don’t think the odds are that advantageous. 

Too many things can go wrong in this.  Ship takes a while to clear immigration.  Immigration for the guests gets delayed.  Lines through security are long.  

I’d look for a flight mid afternoon, at the very soonest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, judydan said:

If it's that inexpensive see if it's available the next morning and spend the night in Athens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

If it's that inexpensive see if it's available the next morning and spend the night in Athens.

Rule of thumb is also that Sunday (and Friday) flights are the most expensive. So there's potentially additional savings in waiting a day.

3 hours ago, judydan said:

I FORGOT TO SAY THIS IS IN ATHENS GREECE

While I am normally a very optimistic traveler and don't play the "What If something happens" games, it is highly unlikely that you will make the 10:20 flight. After disembarking and clearing port immigrations (maybe), you will have a drive to the airport, and then need to navigate airline check-in, security and immigrations at the airport before you can get into the terminal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, judydan said:

No. First off you are assuming you are getting off at 7. Not 7:10 or 7:20..or 8.

Then you are guessing you’re just going to get immediately in a cab, good luck with that.

Then you have the cab ride that is AT LEAST a half hour.  

Then you get to the airport. Athens is an okay airport, not the worst. But by the time you get through security and to your gate, you will not have enough time. Don’t forget they close boarding before take off, so the departure time is probably wrong anyway.

SO NO YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT. 

NO chance.  International flight at 10.20am when you have to be at the airport 3 hour prior.   

Even if it were only 2 hours prior it would mean you would have 1hr 20min to get off the ship; to get through Customs & Immigration as a US citizen and then get to the hired car/taxi for an, at least, 40 minute ride.   Still virtually NO chnace.

Just so you know if I was thinking of the flight I would be safe and book a later one and when I got to the airport I would find out my original flight was delayed by 3 hours and I could have made it with no problem!

10 hours ago, judydan said:

DO YOU THINK THAT IS ENOUGH TIME?

No.  We disembarked in Athens this summer with a similar arrival time.  When booking flights, my choices were near noon or 5 PM.  I booked the 5 PM feeling even a 1200 flight was tight.

Things all ran very smoothly, and we arrived at the airport near 10 AM.  I inquired if we could switch to the earlier flight and we were told maybe and wait at the gate for the earlier flight.  Once we arrived at the gate, the gate agent called us and gave us boarding passes.  Our luggage also got onto the early flight.

This was far lower risk than booking the early flight and risking missing it.

That seems like a stressful way to end your vacation.  What a waste of a good time!

Getting off the ship will take a while, everyone will be competing for cabs, you will be running the whole time.

You can't make this flight, I am sorry.

Enjoy your vacation.