Question about laundry service

kstrittm

All,

Oceania newbie here again with another silly question…. I’ll be cruising on Marina in a couple of months; am in a PH cabin, so I believe I get 3 bags of laundry as a perk.  I’m wondering how the items are returned.  Are they pressed or folded or just returned in the bag?  I’ve also heard it takes a few days per bag.  Is it safe to assume 3 days?  Thanks in advance - you all have been so kind and welcoming; I do appreciate your assistance.

18 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

All,

Oceania newbie here again with another silly question…. I’ll be cruising on Marina in a couple of months; am in a PH cabin, so I believe I get 3 bags of laundry as a perk.  I’m wondering how the items are returned.  Are they pressed or folded or just returned in the bag?  I’ve also heard it takes a few days per bag.  Is it safe to assume 3 days?  Thanks in advance - you all have been so kind and welcoming; I do appreciate your assistance.

The clothes are washed, dried and folded but not pressed.  They are returned in the same bag.  Plan on 3 days but we have gotten them sooner.  There are also free laundry machines on each floor of Marina.  I used them for my delicates.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, basor said:

The clothes are washed, dried and folded but not pressed.  They are returned in the same bag.  Plan on 3 days but we have gotten them sooner.  There are also free laundry machines on each floor of Marina.  I used them for my delicates.

Thanks - very helpful.  I may just use the machines because I’m one of those crazy old ladies who can’t sleep and I’m up by 4:30 or 5 every day.  I suspect the machines will be empty then!  LOL…

2 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

Thanks - very helpful.  I may just use the machines because I’m one of those crazy old ladies who can’t sleep and I’m up by 4:30 or 5 every day.  I suspect the machines will be empty then!  LOL…

There are hours when the self-serve laundry facilities are open for use.  I don't recall what time they open in the morning, but they close at 10pm.  And at least on our most recent cruise, the facility was locked up for the off-hours.

5 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

You'll have to find something else to do for a few hours. They open either at 7am or 9am, can't remember which one for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vlthom said:

There are hours when the self-serve laundry facilities are open for use.  I don't recall what time they open in the morning, but they close at 10pm.  And at least on our most recent cruise, the facility was locked up for the off-hours.

This is true - hours are like 7AM - 10PM and locked during off hours

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

All,

Oceania newbie here again with another silly question …. I’ve also heard it takes a few days per bag.  Is it safe to assume 3 days?  Thanks in advance

• "The only silly question is the one that isn't asked."

• You'll have a butler.  Ask him about the actual turnaround time on that cruise.

• You're welcome.  (In both senses)

PS: O defines "a bag" as 20 items.

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, basor said:

This is true - hours are like 7AM - 10PM and locked during off hours

I am surprised that they close the laundry rooms. I’ve traveled with Princess many times, and they don’t lock them - open 24 hours a day.  But, thanks for the scoop.  Now I know…

1 hour ago, kstrittm said:

So sorry, but they won't be open anywhere near that early.

1 hour ago, kstrittm said:

I am surprised that they close the laundry rooms. I’ve traveled with Princess many times, and they don’t lock them - open 24 hours a day.  But, thanks for the scoop.  Now I know…

You will find a lot of differences between being onboard with 4000 or 1200 of your closest friends - happy differences!

• Haha 2

We had a bag done a few years ago and they came back kinda 'dull' looking, not bright. But I'm called "The Laundry Queen." I had no problem DIYing it.

• Like 1

I recall the Laundry opened/unlocked at 7:30 officially. Liquid Soap is provided but if you normally use dryer sheets, bring some along with you in your luggage. Don’t send delicates or special clothing out in your bag.  We use the bag as needed but normally do our own. Just drop in before heading to breakfast and then make a dash back to the Laundry to put them in the dryer and the load is done soon after we have finished breakfast, wherever we have eaten and of course a little extra time in Barista’s. 
The Laundry was often a great place to meet and chat with new members of our Oceania family. There are normally three washers and dryers, stacked in the Laundry. 
Enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kstrittm said:

They’ll be empty then… but the door will be locked.

• Haha 1

Definitely opened at 7 AM on Riviera and sometimes a queue to get in. The dryers take 2x as long as the washers and are harder to claim. Sometimes if I did things later in the day and couldn't get a dryer, I'd either hang things on the line in our shower or come back at 7AM and be the first to grab a dryer.

Another question, Concierge says complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation** but do they still use the Complimentary pressing cards to have things done after embarkation? Thanks.

Opened technically at 0700 on Riviera (20-night B2B 10-11/2023). We did laundry on both decks 9 (had an A3) and 7 (had a B3). I think wife and I used the self-service laundries 5 times total, because we started after 3 nights in Venice and were ending with 3 more nights in Barcelona. Did last load the day before the cruise ended. Our room on deck 7 was pretty close to the laundry. I stopped by at 0645 and it was open. So I started a load. (I had a blast being "Assistant Deputy VP of Laundry Operations" for the respective decks, due to my expertise in using the detergent, washers and dryers) Having access to the newspapers in the Concierge Lounge from our A3 was nice while doing laundry.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:03 PM, basor said:

it took us 5 days to get ours back on a 12 day cruise. Be sure you have enough time.

15 hours ago, mamaclark said:

it took us 5 days to get ours back on a 12 day cruise. Be sure you have enough time.

If it's not returned within 3 days, generally, it's because the cabin attendant has forgotten it.  If you don't receive it within 3 days, ask the attendant (politely) and it's usually found and brought to the cabin.

• Like 2

Oceania long delay returning complimentary laundry is ridiculous.  3 days is bad. 5 days is awful.  Makes using the service too risky. Could run out of clean clothes before you get laundry returned. On other cruise lines that offer free laundry, the turn around time is next day or better.  Windstar usually returns same day, ironed on hangers. Viking suites get free laundry next day.  When you know this, you can pack less clothing.  On Oceania, it might be wise to use the onboard laundry facilities. 

• Like 2

Is it possible to pay for a quicker return of laundry? We were in an Owners Suite on the RCCL Anthem in December and they offered quick service laundry for a fee along with some of the included suite perks where laundry took a few days to return with no fee.  I'm happy to pay not to have to pack so much (or wait three or five days). 🤪  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rcinteriors said:

Is it possible to pay for a quicker return of laundry? 

Yes, you can always use the regular laundry service for which there is a per item fee.  The fee amount is dependent upon the type of item. Turnaround it much faster than the 3-day complimentary service.

Edited by vlthom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Yes, you can always use the regular laundry service for which there is a per item fee.  The fee amount is dependent upon the type of item. Turnaround it much faster than the 3-day complimentary service.

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification! 

• Like 1

Had O do our laundry on a cruise last year.  Sure enough, took 3 days and it came back practically vacuum packed, so very wrinkled.  Was glad the laundry room had an ironing board.

The reason the laundry room is closed later at night is to be considerate of cabins nearby.  The loud door slamming and possibly sound of the machines would not be welcomed by passengers who are trying to sleep.

• Like 1