"Needed" Items

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone has a cell phone

No, just ALMOST everyone.

According to a January 2024 research poll, 97% of Americans own a mobile phone. And 9 out of 10 of those own smartphones. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

According to a January 2024 research poll, 97% of Americans own a mobile phone. And 9 out of 10 of those own smartphones. 

I have several friends who do not own cell phones and a few who have flip phones.

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I used to develop my own film....but that was back in the 60s and 70s. 

Daddy did it but that was back in the 50s!

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have several friends who do not own cell phones and a few who have flip phones.

OP asked: "1.  Camera - with today's smart phones is a camera really necessary?" We are answereing OP not you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, wcook said:

As a side note: Within the next few years it’s going to be near impossible to cruise without a cell phone. 

Why is that? Asking sincerely.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Just look at all the things that are migrating to smart phones already. Shore excursion tickets? On your phone. App with daily activities and menus? On your phone. Princess has medallions that open your doors and can also show where you are onboard ship at any given time -- how long before that migrates to phones? Pretty soon there will be no need for a sea pass card or any paper onboard. 

Also, look at what has happened post-Covid with regard to other pieces of the bigger travel picture. The first couple of years of travel many of us had to learn how to find the relevant websites for countries we wanted to travel to, fill out the online forms, then have a barcode or Q-R code on our phone to show upon entry to prove vaccination status. Airline boarding pass? On phone.

I think you can see where this is headed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

The cruise lines are pushing more and more onto their app. I know one line no longer allows online check in from a computer; it must be done through the app (or in person at the dock). Bars and restaurants on the ship are using QR codes. Right now you can still get paper menus and there are work-arounds for everything else on the app. But for how long?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I had to take a guess, more people own cell phones/smartphones these days than own conventional or digital cameras.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wcook said:

The cruise lines are pushing more and more onto their app. I know one line no longer allows online check in from a computer; it must be done through the app (or in person at the dock). Bars and restaurants on the ship are using QR codes. Right now you can still get paper menus and there are work-arounds for everything else on the app. But for how long?

Wow. Thanks. I'm 76 and think I'm relatively competent on the internet. But honestly I don't know even what an "app" does and no idea if I already have one/any.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, clo said:

Wow. Thanks. I'm 76 and think I'm relatively competent on the internet. But honestly I don't know even what an "app" does and no idea if I already have one/any.

If there is an app the cruise line will tell you. Some of the smaller cruise lines don't have an app yet. The mainstream lines make it more convienient for both passengers and crew if passengers use their app so we get reinforced and trained to use their app. Someday, maybe soon, we might have to have it but that day has not arrived. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If there is an app the cruise line will tell you. Some of the smaller cruise lines don't have an app yet. he mainstream lines make it more convienient for both passengers and crew if passengers use their app so we get reinforced and trained to use their app. Someday, maybe soon, we might have to have it but that day has not arrived. 

Any day when I learn something new is a good day. So I'm game. Thanks.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Any day when I learn something new is a good day. So I'm game. Thanks.

On cruise lines I have been on where there is an app they have always had crew members who could answer questions about the app and help. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:00 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone has a cell phone

And some of us have a cell phone but don't really know how use all its features.  We talk about it often, but rarely do anything to enhance our knowledge.  But my big question is "how do you compose a photo if you can't see the display in bright light?"  That's why I bought the camera.

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

And some of us have a cell phone but don't really know how use all its features.  We talk about it often, but rarely do anything to enhance our knowledge.  But my big question is "how do you compose a photo if you can't see the display in bright light?"  That's why I bought the camera.

I never have a problem composing a photo in bright light on my iPhone in bright light and I live in Texas where  there is usually bright sunlight. 

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

But my big question is "how do you compose a photo if you can't see the display in bright light?" 

If necessary, take a bunch of pictures blind, then pick the best one and clean it up later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

how do you compose a photo if you can't see the display in bright light?" 

Take off your sunglasses.  If your lenses are polarized, it's almost impossible to see the screen.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, Charles4515 said:

I am also doing a lot of video now 

I've never been into video, but -- yeah -- if you do like taking videos, you should make that a part of your choice.  Consider, too, that video eats up battery faster than still pictures.  

And, having taught photography for 18 years, I'm still a devotee of the "real camera".  Today's point-and-shoots have come a long way.  

On 3/8/2024 at 12:18 PM, eeden1 said:

I don't have one and am having a hard time finding one that fits properly that I'm comfortable in so was definitely leaning towards no suit.

Have you considered Lands End swimsuits?  I'm in my upper 50s now, and I like them because they're made with more support.  They're also available in a D cup.  

If you end up skipping the swimsuit, do consider a shorts-and-tank-top type outfit that you could wear on the pool deck.  I think you'll end up wanting it, and it doesn't take much space in the suitcase.  

On 3/8/2024 at 12:18 PM, eeden1 said:

I just bought a pair of hiking boots from Skechers.  I'm in the process of wearing them in now.  Didn't think about a second pair of walking shoes.  Definitely something I'll consider.

I had a pair of Sketchers hiking boots, and I wore them until they fell apart.  

Typically I advocate for "no repeats" in shoe categories, but since you're going to do a lot of walking in Europe, a second pair might be worthwhile.  For example, when we were in Cozumel a couple months ago we were caught in a downpour, and my sandals stayed soaked until the next day ... but I was able to wear my tennis shoes.  Consider what'd go with your shore outfits in a similar situation.  

On 3/8/2024 at 2:27 PM, crystalspin said:

Swimsuits can be crazy expensive!

All my swimsuits are Lands End /all came from Ebay.  I know my Lands End size, so I haven't been disappointed in size, and prices are very reasonable.  Buying used is also Earth-friendly.  

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

And some of us have a cell phone but don't really know how use all its features ... 

Several thoughts on this topic: 

- In all fairness, a lot of people don't really know how to use all their camera's features. 

- The Digital Divide is real.  About 1/3 of my students -- and we're talking current high school students, those who've never known a world without computers and cell phones -- are computer idiots.  Seriously.  This 1/3 can surf the internet like champs, but they can't problem shoot and don't read instructions online.  They're confused by instructions like, "Print only page 3 of this 10-page document."  Anything that requires more than two steps confuse them, as do downloads.  They are consumers of technology /not users of technology.  

- Cruising with a cell phone is easier now /will probably become even more of a convenience.  BUT I don't think it'll ever be "impossible" to cruise without one.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

No matter where I am, I later move the photo to my computer and can edit to my heart's content.

• Like 1

We print all documents and keep them in a folder, as well as having the documents on our phone/computer. I also use a feature with my password generator where I can store private information. I have health info, all credit card (card numbers and code) info including 800 numbers to call if there is a problem. Anything that you can smooth out any speed bumps that pop up on your trip. If you never need to use any of them, lucky you.

Read your contract that you get from the cruise line. Most people don't and it is a shame because you are spending $$$$ and they won't have any idea what the passenger or the cruise line are responsible for. A little tip, when push comes to shove the cruise line isn't responsible for much. So much so it can be a little unsettling. BUT, you should know what you are buying and it answers a lot of questions you might have.

Don't be afraid to call your cruise line with questions. Cruise Critic is a wealth of information but, there can also be a lot of misinformation. Not on purpose, it is just the nature of the internet.

Lastly, roll with the flow and have a fantastic trip!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1