Day cream, night cream

It's all a bunch of baloney to make you think you need two products instead of one.  Night cream is usually a little heavier, might leave your face shiny.  It all rubs off in the night onto your pillowcase anyway.  Just use whichever cream you feel is 'comfortable' for your face.  

• Like 2

Thanks!  Yes, sunscreen is the only thing I could think of that would make the use of two appropriate. But I've looked at mine, and it doesn't seem to contain any sunscreen.

I'm using the one I have, and my face has not fallen off or anything. And I'm telling myself it is fresher if I use just one til it runs out.

• Like 3

As far as I understand it, a Day cream may have a different formulation from a Night cream. Night creams tend to be heavier, absorb less quickly and don't always play well if you are planning to use them with make-up.

Day creams tend to be thinner and absorb faster so they cause less problems with make-up. They may also contain sunscreen, which Night creams do not. 

Remember, if using a Night cream on your face during daytime hours that you also need separate sunscreen.

• Like 1

To be honest, I won't touch a daytime moisturizer or cream if it doesn't have sunscreen.  Just me, but I had a dear friend die a nasty death from melanoma, one have lots of facial scars now from squamous cell carcinoma.  I try my best to take no chances.  I'm of that age where in my youth there was no sunscreen, just tanning lotion. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise mom is correct. Night creams are thicker, richer, and may not play well with makeup. Some are so hydrating that you still feel tacky in the morning! 

Some day creams can double as night creams. But I wouldn’t use a gel cream if it needed to be double duty. Alternatively you could bring a hydrating primer for your day cream (like Bobbi Brown face base) and a night cream. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm still ignorant and confused (no prob, I'm used to it) about how you keep the night cream on your face when you sleep.  I'd rather use a moisturizer in the evening.  When I put cream on my forehead in the morning, just enough of it seeps in to cloud my eyesight just a teeny bit.  I've tried lots of different products.  Can anyone recommend a brand or type for me to try?

Edited by jsn55

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I'm still ignorant and confused (no prob, I'm used to it) about how you keep the night cream on your face when you sleep.  I'd rather use a moisturizer in the evening.  When I put cream on my forehead in the morning, just enough of it seeps in to cloud my eyesight just a teeny bit.  I've tried lots of different products.  Can anyone recommend a brand or type for me to try?

I like Dr Jart Ceramidin cream, i also like glossier rich moisturizer (it’s called a primer but feels fantastic on the face). If you want something even thicker, First aid beauty makes a thick ultra moisturing cream, and IT Cosmetics also makes a thick one. 

since I have combo skin I find at the extra rich ones make me break out a bit. 

• Like 1

If I'm going out, I use one pump on Neutrogena's serum with sunscreen. At night, or if I'm planning to stay inside (at home) all day, I use Clarins Double serum. Both soak in nicely and don't leave me looking greasy. I wear makeup over both without problems.

(hops on soap box)

I'm a redhead. I've used sunscreen on my face for at least 30 years, but not so much on my arms unless I was going in the sun. However, my dermatologist had to treat my arms for damage. Not so much from the sun, but from the fluorescent lights at work. I wear long sleeves now and absolutely hate it. Ladies, if you work under fluorescent lights, protect your arms as well as your face.

(hops of nursey sun protection soap box)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow, florescent lights ... what next?  I've escaped it so far but thanks for the tip.  Who'd think to use sunscreen on your arms to go to the office?  

Edited by jsn55

On 4/1/2024 at 4:44 AM, jsn55 said:

Wow, florescent lights ... what next?  I've escaped it so far but thanks for the tip.  Who'd think to use sunscreen on your arms to go to the office?  

Nobody, but I preach it to my coworkers because we are under harsh lights our entire shift.

Especially the young ones that still have time to prevent damage. Along with compression socks.

• Like 1