Dining package but no reservations

Just now, zaylyn2590 said:

I was just thinking.... What happens if you pay for the unlimited dining plan/7 night plan... But none of the restaurants have any openings or unable to be booked? 

When you get on the ship go direct to wherever they are setting up reservations…they do not sell all the reservations prior to embarkation. May not get every restaurant or time that you want but I have never heard of anyone not getting in somewhere, 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's more than 30%. 

And, just holding reservations does not make them useful. On a recent cruise, we were at the restaurant reservation desk on embarkation day within 10 minutes of start of boarding and the only times available at the restaurant we wanted (Palomar) was 8:00 pm or later on all days. 

We have also been on cruises where popular restaurants like Cagney's is sold out all days and all times by 1 pm on embarkation day. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zaylyn2590 said:

I was just thinking.... What happens if you pay for the unlimited dining plan/7 night plan... But none of the restaurants have any openings or unable to be booked? 

Then you wait at the restaurant every night hoping for a walk-in. They may tell you to come back at 9:00, but you are likely going to use your credit. On big ships, they will direct you to Q BBQ (since that typically has the lowest demand). So, BBQ chicken every night for your investment in the plan. 

Many restaurants are very oversold (more reservations than seats) since the Concierge can over sell a restaurant that is sold out to get a Suites guest a table. 

Every cruise, there are those people making a fuss on Day 6 and Day 7 because they didn't bother making reservations and they are trying to use their dining credits. 

Restaurant reservations open 130 days prior to departure (12 midnight eastern time) for suites, 125 for Club Balconies and Top Tier Latitude Members, and 120 days prior to departure for the remainder of the ship (non-priority passengers). The recommendation is to make your reservations. 

Edited by BirdTravels

We have the same problem.  I should have known better and booked as soon as I could and did not jump on it in time.  This is our first spring break cruise although we have been cruising yearly since 2006.  We like to dine early and there is absolutely nothing available.  Lessons learned from this are no more spring break cruising for us ( big ship and full ship) and book dining asap.  

We will still enjoy our cruise and will not be without food 🙂 

I do this every time. Make sure I’m first on board.  Thankfully my latitude level affords me priority embark.  And I B line it to the reservation desk on board.  I am first in line and always have my pick for dates and times for all restaurants.  I’ve Done it every cruise.

Also restaurants frequently have cancelations and no shows. They’ve worked with me and helped accommodate me many times in the past. Just speak to the maître D/ host and a little politeness and it can go a long way.  I’ve had fantastic experience in the past with the excellent specialty dining staff 

this time, however, my girl friend is a super planner, so for my first time ever I have all my reservations made. Not sure what I will do with myself on board first. Always wanted to try a good ole fashioned dilly dally. 

• Like 1

Well, these ‘all sold out’ and ‘only after 8pm’ posts put my anxiety level through the roof again. With a 9 total of nights (2 FAS + 7 night package) it’s beginning to make me concerned about logging in on T-minus 120 Days and being disappointed. Argh. ☹️

• Like 1

First time on NCL in many many years. Mostly sail Princess and Celebrity. We didn't book until later for our April cruise so all speciality restaurants were booked. According to NCL they book 20% in advance (I've seen different numbers on this thread). My question is; is there a central reservation desk to make dining reservations or do you, should you, go to each of the speciality restaurants individually. If centralized, does anyone know where it is on the prima, deck and general location? TIA

24 minutes ago, joespin said:

First time on NCL in many many years. Mostly sail Princess and Celebrity. We didn't book until later for our April cruise so all speciality restaurants were booked. According to NCL they book 20% in advance (I've seen different numbers on this thread). My question is; is there a central reservation desk to make dining reservations or do you, should you, go to each of the speciality restaurants individually. If centralized, does anyone know where it is on the prima, deck and general location? TIA

Kind of the same question….We are on Prima also in the Haven….booked just a couple of months ago for April and all open times were only for four people. Called NCL to see if I could book one of those times for two and was told I had to wait to book on board. Do I check with the Haven desk or somewhere else?

54 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Well, these ‘all sold out’ and ‘only after 8pm’ posts put my anxiety level through the roof again. With a 9 total of nights (2 FAS + 7 night package) it’s beginning to make me concerned about logging in on T-minus 120 Days and being disappointed. Argh. ☹️

You should be okay if you book at 120 days. I actually forgot and booked around 115 days on my upcoming cruise on the Spirit in May and everything was available. Just out of curiosity I just went in and looked and a lot of times were taken at 58 days especially on sea days. 

• Thanks 1

Don’t forget that you can use your dining credit at Sushi bar or Food Republic. No reservation required. One dining credit allows you to order 4 items. 

If you bring a guest and use platinum voucher at Sushi bar, you could end up with 8 sushi rolls to share! Better to have a group of 4 people sitting at a table and share those 4 rolls. 

23 hours ago, TSUmom said:

We have the same problem.  I should have known better and booked as soon as I could and did not jump on it in time.  This is our first spring break cruise although we have been cruising yearly since 2006.  We like to dine early and there is absolutely nothing available.  Lessons learned from this are no more spring break cruising for us ( big ship and full ship) and book dining asap.  

Sailed on the Bliss last spring break and made no reservations and got in to all restaurants with no to little wait. 

you’ll be fine, I have not made reservations in my last few cruises and got in every time. Granted a party of 2 but still no issues 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

We cruised in February and I've never seen the specialty restaurants so crowded... like every table taken by 6:00 pm.

just of curiosity, what ship and itinerary was this?

8 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

Don’t forget that you can use your dining credit at Sushi bar or Food Republic. No reservation required. One dining credit allows you to order 4 items. 

If you bring a guest and use platinum voucher at Sushi bar, you could end up with 8 sushi rolls to share! Better to have a group of 4 people sitting at a table and share those 4 rolls. 

I guard my sushi rolls closely! I might...might....trade you one piece for one piece. But those 4 rolls are going to wind up in my belly! 

Good call out to remember Food Republic though! Especially if you have a lot of dining credits and you're on a ship where Food Republic is open for lunch.

1 minute ago, CroozeNoob said:

Does anyone know what time 120 days before embarkation it opens up? Is it exactly 120 days (i.e. 5:30 Pm 120 days before for 5:30 departure), or is it midnight that day?

Midnight

On 3/10/2024 at 7:45 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@zaylyn2590

Only about 30% of Specialty Restaurant places are available on-line before boarding.   As stated join the queue where they are doing bookings as soon as you board.

What if you're in the Haven?  

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

What if you're in the Haven?  

When you board, find the concierge, and discuss your desired reservations with them. We've always received the reservations we wanted, but we don't go to the "popular" places, like Cagney's, Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Onda, and Palomar. We also change our reservations multiple times throughout the cruise, oftentimes on the same day. The concierge has always been able to get us what we want. Haven Halo or there was availability for anyone - I don't know. 

On 3/11/2024 at 5:29 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

You'll be fine. Especially if you like sushi, because the sushi bar always has space to spend dining credits. Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, and Cagneys will typically fill up first, so prioritise those.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 8:06 AM, TSUmom said:

You can book on embarkation day. 

Our NCL cruises on big ships in April, May, September, October, and December 2023 were all sold out and over capacity. Has nothing to do with Spring Break (although that helps).  

• Thanks 1