Flight/Shuttle/Port Arrival/Boarding Question

I called Carnival, and the representative was polite but not very helpful. Hoping someone here can answer my question...

I completed online check-in yesterday. I was given a 1:30 to 2:00 boarding "Arrival Appointment" with a 2:30 "Final Boarding". No other option was available.

My flight lands at 12:45, in accordance with the "no longer than 1:00 PM the day of your cruise" policy for Orlando. I also booked roundtrip airport transfer through Carnival, with a 1:00 to 2:00 window for that shuttle.

I'm not positive when the Carnival shuttle will leave the airport, so I can't say for sure if I'll meet the arrival window or final boarding that were given to me. However, my flight arrives before the Carnival's policy and the shuttle is Carnival.

Any reason I should be concerned that they're going to leave me on the pier?

Posted (edited)

I would be concerned.  You are cutting it so close.  Hopefully you can get through the airport.  You didn't say if you are checking luggage.  If so, you have to account for that time to retrieve it.  Hopefully the shuttle is there on time.  If you get through all that, hopefully there isn't any traffic.  I don't know what Carnival's policy is if you booked through them, but the ship can and will leave without you if you miss the all aboard. It's always a good decision to fly in the day before the cruise.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, daniel3417 said:

I called Carnival, and the representative was polite but not very helpful. Hoping someone here can answer my question...

I completed online check-in yesterday. I was given a 1:30 to 2:00 boarding "Arrival Appointment" with a 2:30 "Final Boarding". No other option was available.

My flight lands at 12:45, in accordance with the "no longer than 1:00 PM the day of your cruise" policy for Orlando. I also booked roundtrip airport transfer through Carnival, with a 1:00 to 2:00 window for that shuttle.

I'm not positive when the Carnival shuttle will leave the airport, so I can't say for sure if I'll meet the arrival window or final boarding that were given to me. However, my flight arrives before the Carnival's policy and the shuttle is Carnival.

Any reason I should be concerned that they're going to leave me on the pier?

They absolutely will leave you at the pier. If your plane lands at 12:45, give an extra 30 minutes to get your bags and you're already late for your shuttle - that's assuming the plane is on time. And it's a good hour on the bus to Canaveral.

You're not going to make this ship. You need an earlier flight.

@daniel3417, I beg you to change your flight. 12:45p scheduled arrival at Orlando for a Final Boarding deadline of 2:30p simply won't work. Call Carnival today.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

So even though my flight arrives as 12:45PM (before their required 1:00PM) AND I've booked transportation through Carnival that has 1:00PM - 2:00PM window, I should be worried?

Why would they offer a 1:00PM - 2:00PM shuttle?

image.png.75eb038937d6666eebb957619ea63c39.png

image.png.b26a47d1a9f55aedd1ea452019008b71.png

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

@daniel3417, I beg you to change your flight. 12:45p scheduled arrival at Orlando for a Final Boarding deadline of 2:30p simply won't work. Call Carnival today.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

See post above, please. I'm not sure I understand why Carnival would provide guidelines AND offer shuttle transportation service that doesn't meet their boarding guidelines?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, daniel3417 said:

See post above, please. I'm not sure I understand why Carnival would provide guidelines AND offer shuttle transportation service that doesn't meet their boarding guidelines?

I have no idea. I don't know why they would offer that to you either. In theory it is 'possible' but beyond foolish.

Many, many people fly 'day of'. But they land early in the a.m.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

12:45 land

12:50-55 off the plane

1:00 to baggage claim

1:15 leave baggage claim

45 minute ride to Port Canaveral

Puts you right at 2;30, and that’s if everything goes well for you.  One thing goes wrong, and you are standing on the pier waving as the ship leaves.

if you have to fly in same day, I would arrive no later than 10:00. Best to fly in the day before.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

And by the way, the shuttle isn't the problem. Hoping on a Carnival bus that leaves MCO precisely at 1pm is fine. Do note that it is the last bus however.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

12:45 land

12:50-55 off the plane

1:00 to baggage claim

1:15 leave baggage claim

45 minute ride to Port Canaveral

Puts you right at 2;30, and that’s if everything goes well for you.  One thing goes wrong, and you are standing on the pier waving as the ship leaves.

if you have to fly in same day, I would arrive no later than 10:00. Best to fly in the day before.

And this timeframe assumes the flight lands on time.  We all know that’s not a guarantee.  Please listen to the helpful people here and fly in the day before, or if not possible, book a flight that arrives before 10:00 in the morning.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, daniel3417 said:

So even though my flight arrives as 12:45PM (before their required 1:00PM) AND I've booked transportation through Carnival that has 1:00PM - 2:00PM window, I should be worried?

Why would they offer a 1:00PM - 2:00PM shuttle?

image.png.75eb038937d6666eebb957619ea63c39.png

image.png.b26a47d1a9f55aedd1ea452019008b71.png

I believe the 1:00 PM shuttle may leave at 1:00 PM and arrive at 2:00 PM at the port. I could certainly be wrong and the shuttle may leave at two. The thing everyone is trying to tell you it is possible, maybe even probable this will work out just fine but have you ever been at the airport and find out your flight is delayed. Happens everyday sometimes just a few minutes sometimes a few hours. I hope you at least have a direct flight, a connection just adds to the chances of delay. Good luck with what ever you decide.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, daniel3417 said:

Appreciate the feedback, all. Baffled that Carnival would say to arrive by 1PM and offer shuttle service if that's not fast enough...

Your flight may or may not land at 12:45 pm but more importantly, you must be at the shuttle pick up area before 1 pm.

If you are on the Carnival shuttle, you will make the ship.  They do wait for the Carnival shuttle.  Your issue will be getting on that shuttle.  It will be at least 20 minutes from gate arrival to getting your luggage.  

• Like 4

agree with all the above... And depending on the day at MCO, it will be loaded with people and children (Disney traffic) making transit through the airport difficult at times.

• Like 2

Definitely cutting it too close for comfort. Have to take into account the potential risks and unknown variables.

What if your flight is delayed? Do you have baggage to retrieve upon landing? How hard is it to locate and get to the shuttle at the airport?How far away is the port from the airport? What if there is heavy traffic on the way to the port? 

Then, there is the time to find the right cruise terminal, get to it and the correct line, then through ticketing and security at the port.

You can see there are so many things to consider, which is why many choose and recommend to fly in the night before. At the very least, you should always plan on arriving by the early morning because of those factors. And I always try to get an arrival appointment that's before the final one so to allow me plenty of time.

• Like 3

Not every ship has a final boarding at 2:30 I guess. Some that cruise out of Canaveral may leave later maybe.

If everything is on time and you're not checking any luggage you may be able to make it on time. But if the flight is delayed or if you're checking bags or anything goes wrong at all (like a crash on the highway on the hour long bus ride from MCO to Canaveral), you better make sure your camera is charged. The views of the ship sailing away from the pier are breathtaking.

• Like 1

Any chance you can change your flight to earlier in the day or fly in day before? Seems like a stressful way to start your vacation. Like others have said, any flight delay will cause you to miss the ship.  

• Like 1

If you make the 1 pm shuttle, no issue. The problem is that there are no guarantees your flight will be on time (my daughter was just on a flight with a medical emergency and missed her connection, had to take another flight to get another flight to get to her destination, she was hours late. Even her last flight landed 10 minutes late, even a short delay will mess up your plans).

100% concur with everyone saying you should change your flight to arrive at least 2 hours earlier than that. It would almost be worse to see the shuttle leaving you on the curb than to see the ship leaving you in the terminal. Orlando is a HUGE hub and a p.i.t.a. to get out of. If you're not there by 11am or possibly noon, you're as good as left already.

To be honest we took the shuttle once, had to load and unload our own suitcases and then stopped at every terminal to pick up other passengers, we won't be doing that again.  However since the bus company contracts with Carnival I am sure they would allow you on the ship just like they hold the ship for excursions that are late but personally I would fly in the night before, stay at a hotel near the airport and uber or taxi to the port the next morning

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

To be honest we took the shuttle once, had to load and unload our own suitcases and then stopped at every terminal to pick up other passengers, we won't be doing that again.  However since the bus company contracts with Carnival I am sure they would allow you on the ship just like they hold the ship for excursions that are late but personally I would fly in the night before, stay at a hotel near the airport and uber or taxi to the port the next morning

I don’t think this is the same as an excursion, if the shuttle was delayed yes, but if the shuttle departed on time but without the OP the ship isn’t waiting. The shuttle wasn’t delayed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think this is the same as an excursion, if the shuttle was delayed yes, but if the shuttle departed on time but without the OP the ship isn’t waiting. The shuttle wasn’t delayed.

Yes I think that was the point, if the shuttle is delayed then the ship will wait but if you missed the shuttle the ship will not wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, daniel3417 said:

Appreciate the feedback, all. Baffled that Carnival would say to arrive by 1PM and offer shuttle service if that's not fast enough...

If you read closely, it says "no later than 1pm" which really means that's the absolute final time, and really the time you should already be at the shuttle ready to board it imo. A 1:00PM time slot window suggests that's the time the shuttle departs, not the time to be landing by.

Keep in mind those are merely suggestions. It is always wise to not wait until the absolute final suggested time to be at something since you never know what is going to happen en route and while traveling.

Edited by bg2310
  • Like 1