Airplane mode?

Ok I’ve always admitted I’m technically and mechanically challenged. I do know to put my phone on airplane mode on the ship so I don’t get “roaming charges.” Is this just on the ship? Can I turn it Off, text people etc while at the ports? Then turn back on again as soon as I re-board? TIA 

If you use it in port you will be charged international fees by your carrier. I know that AT&T has a blanket plan for some countries that will allow users to use their phone while in that country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Ok I’ve always admitted I’m technically and mechanically challenged. I do know to put my phone on airplane mode on the ship so I don’t get “roaming charges.” Is this just on the ship? Can I turn it Off, text people etc while at the ports? Then turn back on again as soon as I re-board? TIA 

You'll need to talk to your cellular carrier to see if you have roaming coverage overseas and how much extra it costs, if any.

If not - you should have coverage in American ports - Puerto Rico, St Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Can I turn it Off, text people etc while at the ports? Then turn back on again as soon as I re-board? TIA 

You don't even have to turn it back on as soon as you re-board.  Cellular at Sea is not on while the ship is in port.  I've seen conflicting reports about how far out they have to be before turning it on,  I've seen everywhere from 5 to 14 miles out.  But as long as you put your phone back into airplane mode within a few minutes of leaving port you will be fine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

AT&T has a "plan" (International Day Pass) that is $10 for each day that you use it internationally.  Verizon has a similar one (Travel Plus).    Check your provider information before you go - at one time you had to sign up for it, I think now AT&T just automatically signs you up in eligible countries upon first usage.   Not sure about other providers (T-mobile, sprint, etc)

In the countries that they support, you just use it like you do at home.   Also, at least for AT&T, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are considered domestic and just like being at home.

What I usually do is try WiFi first, and it I can't find a good signal someplace, then I will turn cellular on if I need it.  Keep in mind if you use WiFi that your data should be encrypted from your phone to the other end before putting any passwords etc in (VPN, HTTPS and so on)

Another thing you can do is turn Cellular Data off.  It's been a while, but from what I recall, incoming text messages don't cost - that is because you basically can't control that.  I know in the past, with cellular data off and on Cellular at Sea, we could receive SMS text messages.  But playing with fire if you're not careful.  

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Sabalon said:

Another thing you can do is turn Cellular Data off.  It's been a while, but from what I recall, incoming text messages don't cost - that is because you basically can't control that.  I know in the past, with cellular data off and on Cellular at Sea, we could receive SMS text messages.  But playing with fire if you're not careful.  

I guess it's playing with fire but thats what we do..just turn cellular data off. I believe with ATT incoming texts are free and outgoing like 50 cents

• Thanks 1

If you do that just remember to check your time.  If its set to ship time it might auto update once back off Airplane mode.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I have Verizon. I don’t think I’ll switch off. Nothing important I have to check on and knowing me I’d get a bill for thousands of $ and as mentioned I’m technically challenged and might even blast myself into outer space! Hope all your great info helped someone else! 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If you use it in port you will be charged international fees by your carrier. I know that AT&T has a blanket plan for some countries that will allow users to use their phone while in that country.

Our Verizon plan allows talk and text to/from Canada and Mexico but I'll need to research whether or not that's from the tower nearest to my house to my Canadian friends (for example) or if I can call my parents from Cozumel, meaning I can be in another country (well, CA and MX) and call home. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

Matter of fact, I'm going to do this today while I'm thinking about it. Sometimes the posts here make me plan for things I hadn't thought of, and for that, I'll be forever greatful!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Noledad77 said:

Our Verizon plan allows talk and text to/from Canada and Mexico but I'll need to research whether or not that's from the tower nearest to my house to my Canadian friends (for example) or if I can call my parents from Cozumel, meaning I can be in another country (well, CA and MX) and call home. Pretty sure it's the same thing.

Matter of fact, I'm going to do this today while I'm thinking about it. Sometimes the posts here make me plan for things I hadn't thought of, and for that, I'll be forever greatful!

I live 8 miles from the Canadian border and from time to time (especially when out driving around) I'll ping off of a tower up there. AT&T charges me extra for that, but then they zero it out because they know how close I am. If they happen to miss it a quick note to CS solves it. I am like the OP, technologically challenged so I just leave it in airplane mode for the trip (and often don't take it ashore with me).

• Like 3

I have AT&T and when we are in Mexico I take my phone off of airplane mode and use it like normal.  No extra charges. With AT&T Canada and Mexico are included.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have AT&T and when we are in Mexico I take my phone off of airplane mode and use it like normal.  No extra charges. With AT&T Canada and Mexico are included.  

Whoa.   Didn't know that.  I thought it odd that Verizon did $5 for US/CA instead of $10, but I guess AT&T one upped them.  Nice...2/3 of my stops in a couple weeks are in Mexico.  Wife will love it - she can play Connections.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

Yep. T-Mobile is the same. But I also get free data and texting in an additional 140 countries.

Just did a quick check on my 5G. 798Mbps download and 123 Mbps upload. Their 55+ plan is an awesome price plan.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I have Verizon. I don’t think I’ll switch off. Nothing important I have to check on and knowing me I’d get a bill for thousands of $

I have Verizon too.  I've used the $10 day pass all over Europe, Japan, Australia, never had any problems and was charged appropriately.  I usually walk a lot in the ports and its great for google maps and directions.  You'll get a text stating when your 24 hrs starts.  You can go into your account and look, it might already be set up.  I used to have to request it, but now its already there when I check before a trip.  Always helpful to know its there if you had to turn your phone on for an emergency. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrqoisWtrs said:

I have Verizon too.  I've used the $10 day pass all over Europe, Japan, Australia, never had any problems and was charged appropriately.  I usually walk a lot in the ports and its great for google maps and directions.  You'll get a text stating when your 24 hrs starts.  You can go into your account and look, it might already be set up.  I used to have to request it, but now its already there when I check before a trip.  Always helpful to know its there if you had to turn your phone on for an emergency. 

Very good information! Thank you! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dallasdan said:

I was today years old when I learned this!😀

• Like 1

slightly off topic but... we don't use cell phone for clock while cruising. Get an inexpensive wrist watch and set it to ship time. no need to worry about ship time vs port time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I was today years old when I learned this!😀

I'm pretty sure it it only certain plans ( unlimited etc) that include Mexico etc so make sure to check 

7 hours ago, ober134 said:

slightly off topic but... we don't use cell phone for clock while cruising. Get an inexpensive wrist watch and set it to ship time. no need to worry about ship time vs port time.

Just thought of this...don't rely on a smart watch either. 

• Like 2

I've just found out that my provider (ID Mobile; I'm British) does not offer a US plan so I intend to switch off data roaming mode for the whole of my stay. The only time I'll use my phone is when I can connect to wifi in ports, bars, hotels etc. 

I may need to make the odd call in Miami, though, so I have wondered; would I still need to type +1 in front of numbers if calling a US number? And similarly, would they need to type +44 in order to call me?

10 hours ago, ober134 said:

Great idea. Question: where do I find an inexpensive watch? Here in NE NJ you can’t find too many inexpensive things! 🤯😳😣

If you get the wifi plan while on board the ship, you can use the "WhatsApp" app to communicate with friends and family throughout the cruise.   Then we don't have to worry about switching airplane mode on/off - we just turn it off when we get to the terminal at the beginning of the cruise and leave it off until we return back home.

that's what we do when we're on board. (or off on a trip to another country)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Great idea. Question: where do I find an inexpensive watch? Here in NE NJ you can’t find too many inexpensive things! 🤯😳😣

Are you cruising out of port other than NY NJ area?  If so, if you have time, run to Walmart or a chain drug store to find a cheap watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My Verizon plan includes Canada and Mexico.  I can also choose one other country to include.  I get one free 24-hr period per month for any other country besides those three, and I think it's $10 per day after that.

Edit:  Actually, I just looked up my plan.  My Ultimate Unlimited includes 210 countries I can be in and no extra charge for calls and texts.  While I'm in the US, I can call/text Canada and Mexico and one other country unlimited.  My husband's plan is the one above.

Edited by rdtpm64
add information
  • Like 1