Pros and cons of Journeys cruises

We have mostly stopped sailing Carnival EXCEPT for Journeys cruises. The biggest difference, and it is huge, is the clientele.

The passengers are older, more polite and considerate, and more experienced cruisers who take things in stride. There are few kids, including college kids. For us this is a big plus. If you prefer a booze cruise it is a detriment.

As for smokers... Yes a greater percent of older folks smoke. But if you don't smoke just stay away from the places you already stay away from because of smoke.

As for reduced perks... Priority boarding, including tenders, is the only thing we noticed though I suspect if guaranteed dining times and reservations matters to you that may also be affected. But we have always gotten Your Time Dining and haven't had any problems.

There usually are more scooters and folks generally walk slower.

The Diamond Captain's event is usually broken into two events such as half scheduled for a lunch one day and the other half the next day.

There are usually some unusual activities offered like dancing classes.

We absolutely love the Journeys cruises.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, icft said:

We have mostly stopped sailing Carnival EXCEPT for Journeys cruises. The biggest difference, and it is huge, is the clientele.

The passengers are older, more polite and considerate, and more experienced cruisers who take things in stride. There are few kids, including college kids. For us this is a big plus. If you prefer a booze cruise it is a detriment.

As for smokers... Yes a greater percent of older folks smoke. But if you don't smoke just stay away from the places you already stay away from because of smoke.

As for reduced perks... Priority boarding, including tenders, is the only thing we noticed though I suspect if guaranteed dining times and reservations matters to you that may also be affected. But we have always gotten Your Time Dining and haven't had any problems.

There usually are more scooters and folks generally walk slower.

The Diamond Captain's event is usually broken into two events such as half scheduled for a lunch one day and the other half the next day.

There are usually some unusual activities offered like dancing classes.

We absolutely love the Journeys cruises.

Agree with most all of what you say.  My comment of the smokers was really how many ignored the rules.  I have never seen (smelled) so many balcony smokers, it was commented on by many.  Journeys outside Florida had less, but still and issue.  HArd to stay away from that.  Did it ruin the cruise? No way.  Just worth commenting on. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:56 PM, jimbo5544 said:

S0 I lied.  I thought, and was pretty sure, that you could search all your  history, but I cannot go more than 183 pages (know that seems like a lot) of data.  that gets me back to 2022, wanted to link to a 2019 Journey cruise..... sorry.

It's all good. I appreciate you trying.  Have an amazing day!  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

It's all good. I appreciate you trying.  Have an amazing day!  

It was a fantastic trip, certainly top 3 for us (and we have cruised a lot).  Laid back, very informative interactice sessions with senior staff, and way more.  Highly recommend it.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this because John Heald mentioned Journeys cruises in one of his FB posts this morning.  He says it's "important for the beards" to find out how many we've experienced, what we liked about them, and how they can improve them.

I found it interesting to note that hardly anyone had an unkind word to say in the comments on this post about Journeys cruises - even considering the bias of the group it's pretty overwhelming. Feel free to take a look and what was said and comment in your spare time.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm bumping this because John Heald mentioned Journeys cruises in one of his FB posts this morning.  He says it's "important for the beards" to find out how many we've experienced, what we liked about them, and how they can improve them.

I found it interesting to note that hardly anyone had an unkind word to say in the comments on this post about Journeys cruises - even considering the bias of the group it's pretty overwhelming. Feel free to take a look and what was said and comment in your spare time.

Ok, I will bite, what bias would that be?

20 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They LOVE Mr. Heald and they LOVE Carnival.  Rare is the unkind word said about either.

That's why I send folks there when they get upset with me for criticizing Carnival. If you want nonstop saccharine plaudits, there's your place.

• Haha 3

I be done three f journey cruises and several b2b. I love them both and agree with much of the pros and cons listed with one major exception. I find the turn around day on b2b to be a pro. Its the only time you nearly have the whole ship to yourself. There is usually about 45 minutes that the ship is at "zero count" ( meaning everyone that needs to be off from the first sailing). The crew is busy getting things ready for that he first passengers to arrive and it is super pleasant. 

Th recommend both 

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They LOVE Mr. Heald and they LOVE Carnival.  Rare is the unkind word said about either.

Maybe they just see the truth thru all the bashing from the few here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I've read through the FB comments and most of them seem to be pretty spot on. Seems to me that with this JH inquiry and the previous 'world cruise' tease that Carnival has something in mind as they eventually expand on their existing fleet. I think they're thinking about how to best deploy some of their older vessels when every port already has a Conquest, Dream and even Vista Class boat running their 3/4 or 4/5/5 'vacation' routes. Heck, we've speculated that Mardi Gras becomes a perfect Celebration Key weekender boat from Miami once the next Excel comes online.

I, for one, would love it if a Sunshine/Spirit did a full winter of Journeys. 

Do something like this beginning on a Wednesday in late January (heck, we're all retired):

-14 night Eastern/Southern from MIA

-14 night Western/Central Am./S. Am. from MIA

-14 night repo to Galveston

-14 night Eastern from Galveston

-14 night Panama Canal from Galveston to Long Beach

-14 night Hawaii

-     Alaska?

Honestly, it's kinda how they do Europe each summer. You can always tweak the actual days but the point still stands. Perhaps in '27 when the new Excel arrives? We'd be IN for some of it. I think others would be too. 

Edited by jsglow

On 3/27/2024 at 5:23 AM, nycruise1 said:

al Fresco dinner on the Lido for Diamond vifp members

Haven't noticed this being offered. Maybe specific to certain itineraries?

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I did a search and have not seen it mentioned in many reviews, so maybe it is still experimental?

15 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think it's new.  We saw it on a Conquest journeys cruise last winter.  It was the last cruise we took before we reached Diamond level.  😒

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I want to say it's only been on Journey's cruises that I've seen. Maybe @Jamman54 knows? I've read they've done some.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 10:23 AM, nycruise1 said:

al Fresco dinner on the Lido for Diamond vifp members

On 4/29/2024 at 4:33 PM, kwokpot said:

On 4/29/2024 at 8:21 PM, nycruise1 said:

I did a search and have not seen it mentioned in many reviews, so maybe it is still experimental?

On 4/30/2024 at 9:47 AM, mikayla73 said:

I want to say it's only been on Journey's cruises that I've seen. Maybe @Jamman54 knows? I've read they've done some.

We did the al Fresco dining last October on Venezia, and again on May 4th on Spirit. 

I did ask the hostess this last time how long Carnival has been doing these and she said that they had been doing it since before she started working there 4 years ago, but it's only on Journey's cruises.  When I mentioned it to the cruise director that it was a nice touch, he told me that it's often done by invitation only, so if you are interested in doing it again make sure to mention it to the maître d'.  The menu is more limited than the dining room and was the same both times.

image.thumb.jpeg.44baa63d321b33be74c8a8582ae4d119.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d916ffa3e6d1936b10a3479a42597863.jpeg

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am about to go on my first Journeys cruise out of Australia going to Singapore and based on the group pages I am on, it seems like a fun group.  Seems like a lot of people who like to drink and have a good time. There has been numerous posts about meet ups and get-togethers at bars and where to drink in various ports. Also, I have already met three other people who (like  I may be if my husband cancels)are cruising alone with a teenager. With that said, it may be that a journeys cruise out of Australia's demographic is totally different. 

It may also be that the plane ride is too long for some oldr US cruisers.  My husband has equivocated half a dozen times on whether he is going due to the long plane rides to Australia and home from Singapore...and he is only 50. I know there is no way that my elderly mother would make that jaunt from the US over there and back. 8-9 hours to Europe is one thing. 17+ to Australia and 25 home from Singapore is another. 

I also heard there was a midnight buffet on journeys cruises but someone can correct me if I am wrong...

I am personally super pumped for the horse and frog racing thing.  

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I am about to go on my first Journeys cruise out of Australia going to Singapore and based on the group pages I am on, it seems like a fun group.  Seems like a lot of people who like to drink and have a good time. There has been numerous posts about meet ups and get-togethers at bars and where to drink in various ports. Also, I have already met three other people who (like  I may be if my husband cancels)are cruising alone with a teenager. With that said, it may be that a journeys cruise out of Australia's demographic is totally different. 

It may also be that the plane ride is too long for some oldr US cruisers.  My husband has equivocated half a dozen times on whether he is going due to the long plane rides to Australia and home from Singapore...and he is only 50. I know there is no way that my elderly mother would make that jaunt from the US over there and back. 8-9 hours to Europe is one thing. 17+ to Australia and 25 home from Singapore is another. 

What do plan on doing in Brisbane?

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

What do plan on doing in Brisbane?

We are signed up for the glow worm/winery excursion.  My son really wants to see the glow worm caves.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I also heard there was a midnight buffet on journeys cruises but someone can correct me if I am wrong...

I am personally super pumped for the horse and frog racing thing.  

They used to have a midnight buffet on Journeys cruises. I know because I tried to attend one way back in 2016. It was jammed with passengers. Not a good experience. I haven't tried to go there since then.

They may have gotten rid of it. They don't advertise it anymore.

P.S. I'm a big fan of the horse races!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

We are signed up for the glow worm/winery excursion.  My son really wants to see the glow worm caves.  

There alot of mixed reviews about that tour, or the worm cave specifically.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They used to have a midnight buffet on Journeys cruises. I know because I tried to attend one way back in 2016. It was jammed with passengers. Not a good experience. I haven't tried to go there since then.

They may have gotten rid of it. They don't advertise it anymore.

P.S. I'm a big fan of the horse races!

they had midnight buffets on the two we did last year. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

There alot of mixed reviews about that tour, or the worm cave specifically.

What's the problem?  There are no reviews on carnival. Maybe they took them off. I thought about doing one in Sydney instead...

4 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

What's the problem?  There are no reviews on carnival. Maybe they took them off. I thought about doing one in Sydney instead...

I'm looking at reviews on Google specific to the worm cave Seems like there are literally a handful of worms that are actually MOVED by people from the water to the caves. 

I know the City Center is a bit aways from the cruise terminal but we had a nice time touring the City Center. We went to the Old Town Hall, the Botanic Gardens are wonderful and they are right downtown, and the southbank area is really nice to have a meal at. There's a portion of the Brisbane ferry system that's free and we rode that and got to enjoy seeing the city from the river. Then there's a section of the river that has this great catwalk promenade right over the River that was a great walk. SO there's would be plenty to do if you went right into the City Center and did your siteseeing there, then make your way back to the crusie terminal.

• Like 1