Embarkation lunch at Local on Bliss

Hi all.  I was originally planning on having embarkation lunch at the American Diner before NCL cut out many of the menu offerings and it was  a perk for Haven booking (no charge on day 1, now included for all.----  My second choice would be to eat at the Local ----  I was just wondering how crowded that venue gets on embarkation day around 12:00-1:00.   Thanks, Anita

3 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Hi all.  I was originally planning on having embarkation lunch at the American Diner before NCL cut out many of the menu offerings and it was  a perk for Haven booking (no charge on day 1, now included for all.----  My second choice would be to eat at the Local ----  I was just wondering how crowded that venue gets on embarkation day around 12:00-1:00.   Thanks, Anita

Probably packed especially right now in Spring Break cruises.  Taste or Savor (MDR's) would be a better choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jetswdo said:

No, this wouldn't be untill end of August for Alaska---- Just wondering for any embarkation cruise-- not holiday times....

Still would be pretty full.  Better option would be either Taste or Savor

We ate at O’Sheehans (the Local predecessor) on the BA last fall going to New England and it was just fine.

The MDR would likely be less crowded but we were served quickly enough and got to watch the pax board as we ate burgers and sipped beer. I’d recommend it.

I figure we will be on board around 11:30--- So I think we will try to make our way to the Local as soon as we board-- if that doesn't work out we will give to one of the mdr--- Thanks for the info.  Anita

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

I figure we will be on board around 11:30--- So I think we will try to make our way to the Local as soon as we board-- if that doesn't work out we will give to one of the mdr--- Thanks for the info.  Anita

Sounds like a plan.

Sailed on the Bliss last January and had lunch in Taste. Boarded about noon. After checking in at the muster station, headed to the DR - seated immediately; able to put carry-ons right there; no roaming (buffet) required; no crowd; take as long as you want.

Afterward, hung out in the Observation Lounge  (seating hard to come by) until cabin was ready.

We were on the Bliss 2 weeks ago. The Local is pretty small and was always very noisy since it ends at the railing of the atrium. My suggestion is also to do Taste or Savor. Very relaxing in those. 

20 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

We boarded Bliss before noon on our last cruise.  We stopped by Teppanyaki to adjust dinner reservations, picked up entertainment schedule and a brief visit to Cruise Next.  Then went to Local and had no problem whatsoever to be seated and served.  I highly recommend the chicken salad sandwich…yum.

• Like 4

Thanks-- We booked the lowest Haven category to see if it would be worth it for us for future cruies--- Since we will be eating diner at Haven restaurant that night, we just want to eat a light lunch-- as I stated when I started this post we thought we would eat lunch at American diner- as a Haven "Perk" but now that it is a regular complimentary venue, with little variety --- the local sounds perfect for us.  Anita

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Thanks-- We booked the lowest Haven category to see if it would be worth it for us for future cruies--- Since we will be eating diner at Haven restaurant that night, we just want to eat a light lunch-- as I stated when I started this post we thought we would eat lunch at American diner- as a Haven "Perk" but now that it is a regular complimentary venue, with little variety --- the local sounds perfect for us.  Anita

Happy cruising to you…Alaska is beautiful!

1 hour ago, Jetswdo said:

Since we will be eating diner at Haven restaurant that night, we just want to eat a light lunch

FYI, the lunch and dinner menus are different in the Haven. My favorite embarkation lunch is a caesar salad and mushroom flatbread appetizer!

We always have lunch in the Haven at embarkation, mostly as an early chance to get to know the staff, and for them to get to know us.  It’s kind of a tradition for me to order the scallops, and Jim to have a hamburger, but if you want to eat light, you can always choose 2 appetizers.  Here’s a link to the Haven lunch menu:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/617ac6f28abd337ac8fc5f75/t/6255de58dbe6f61442cae352/1649794648915/NCL+Haven+Lunch+Menu.pdf

At least once later in the cruise, I’ll go down to the Garden Cafe, make up a plate of curry, and bring it back to the Haven to join Jim for lunch!  We board the Prima in November, and I’m really looking forward to the Indian food in Indulge Food Hall.

To enhance your Haven experience, please check out Gary’s Secrets of the Haven.  Don’t be put off by the number of pages - just dive in!  No matter how many times we cruise, I always learn something useful for next time.  Have a great cruise.

I may end up at Haven for lunch any way---- but I really would rather just eat there for dinner. 

Thanks again for all responses.  Appreciate it.  Anita

On 4/7/2024 at 9:42 AM, laudergayle said:

Then went to Local and had no problem whatsoever to be seated and served.  I highly recommend the chicken salad sandwich…yum.

That chicken salad sandwich is surprisingly yummy!! I don't have it as often as I should.

55 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Another cruise could solve that😊

Stop this peer pressure, would ya!!! 

Do you know how many times I've tried to make that next month cruise of yours fit my calendar? Despite all my whining, of course I want to get back on a cruise ship!! 

• Like 1

If you're in the Haven that's always going to be a less crowded back up option. They have a number of decent apps and small dishes so you don't overdo it. Sometimes The Local has been crowded beyond belief, and other times a ghost town, so it all depends. But pop in there first after doing your muster check in, and you have the Haven or MDR as back up options.

We always go to the Local/O'Sheehans for our embarkation lunch (except once in the Haven) and have never encountered a wait.   We board early, take care of what needs to be taken care of and then head straight to the restaurant.    Fortunately, we have never encountered a wait even with a large group.

• Like 2

Just off the Joy a couple weeks ago boarded at 11:30 we had to go to the muster station then the help desk so we got to the Local at 12 and they were 3/4 empty. Last few cruises this is what we have done.

On 4/7/2024 at 6:02 PM, Jetswdo said:

I may end up at Haven for lunch any way---- but I really would rather just eat there for dinner. 

Thanks again for all responses.  Appreciate it.  Anita

We ate lunch at the American Diner last year, when it was still free for Haven guests. I will just say that after eating at the Haven restaurant, I wouldn't have done the American Diner again, even if it was still a perk for the Haven. The Haven restaurant lunches are great. Better than the dinners, IMO.

O’Sheehans/The Local is our usual lunch place for embarkation day and we have never had any wait at all there.

We board fairly early, but sometimes have things to do before lunch, and I don’t ever recall seeing people waiting when we leave.