Viking IPO

FetaCheese

On 4/29/2024 at 2:01 PM, Twitchly said:

Note to anyone who feels like they’re losing this competition: hang out with us. We’ve taken a total of 3 cruises. You’ll feel great about yourself! 

Sorry, but we can’t, because we’ve done…

ONE MILLION CRUISES !!!!!!!!!!! 
😉😎

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Sorry, but we can’t, because we’ve done…

ONE MILLION CRUISES !!!!!!!!!!! 

Yeah but my 1.1 million (plus another 2500 upcoming) has you beat by a bunch 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah but my 1.1 million (plus another 2500 upcoming) has you beat by a bunch 😉

I yield to the superior traveler! 🤥

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I yield to the superior traveler! 🤥

LOL  I did figure out, though, that to do 1,000,000 cruises over a 10-year period would require doing 274 cruises per day. Now THAT's some major traveling. Should be enough to arrive at the top tier level of just about any cruise line. Over a 30 year period, however, is only 91 cruises per day. Much easier I'd think. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

30 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL  I did figure out, though, that to do 1,000,000 cruises over a 10-year period would require doing 274 cruises per day. Now THAT's some major traveling. Should be enough to arrive at the top tier level of just about any cruise line. Over a 30 year period, however, is only 91 cruises per day. Much easier I'd think. 

But Viking doesn’t have a top tier level!! 😳

Why give perks if you don’t have to? 🫢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Haven't you ever heard of lawyers billing more than 24 hours per day??  Have to think it's the same principle.  But then modesty prohibits me bragging on my cruise total....🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haven't you ever heard of lawyers billing more than 24 hours per day??  Have to think it's the same principle.  But then modesty prohibits me bragging on my cruise total....🍸

This lawyer has never billed more than 24 hours per day — not even close. Scout‘s honor.   🤪

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I’ve heard you called a lot of things on CC,

but NEVER modest…!! 😎

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

But then modesty prohibits me bragging on my cruise total...

Ah, c'mon Jim...do tell. We're big enough to take it.

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

But Viking doesn’t have a top tier level!! 😳

This is true, and I like them for that. Having one, though, such as RCL, surely entices people to keep booking. 'One more cruise till I'm Diamond, or Diamond Plus, or (top) Pinnacle'  It worked for DW and I at least. We were anxious to get to D+. Not fully sure why looking back on it!

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Ah, c'mon Jim...do tell. We're big enough to take it.

This is true, and I like them for that. Having one, though, such as RCL, surely entices people to keep booking. 'One more cruise till I'm Diamond, or Diamond Plus, or (top) Pinnacle'  It worked for DW and I at least. We were anxious to get to D+. Not fully sure why looking back on it!

Sort of like working hard to get airline or hotel status.

How has that worked out for folks??????? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Sort of like working hard to get airline or hotel status.

LOL. Over the years I've signed up for and have membership cards for several of those and then have often forgotten which ones I'm members of cause most of the time the cards are in an envelope in a desk drawer. I don't think to take them along on a trip. Lots of hotel chains are under the same company. If the hotel asks, when checking in, if we're members - and I'm not sure - they can easily look it up. Just more different passwords to keep track of.

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Years of commuting on the Staten Island ferry gives me thousands of sailings.  Nowhere near a million though.  Great bargain.  30 minute trip used to be $.25 each way and now it's free.

I remember when it was a nickel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I've been kind of wondering, if Buffett looked at this before they went public,and decided against buying.

I don’t believe Warren Buffett has ever invested in an IPO. He looks for a proven track record for a company and buys when he considers it undervalued and always holds it for the long term.

Here is his view of IPOs:

They found that the two-thirds of the companies failed to generate sufficient earnings to justify day one stock price.”

https://acquirersmultiple.com/2023/08/warren-buffett-why-ipos-can-be-painful-for-investors/

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I don’t believe Warren Buffett has ever invested in an IPO. He looks for a proven track record for a company and buys when he considers it undervalued and always holds it for the long term.

Here is his view of IPOs:

They found that the two-thirds of the companies failed to generate sufficient earnings to justify day one stock price.”

https://acquirersmultiple.com/2023/08/warren-buffett-why-ipos-can-be-painful-for-investors/

Jimmy Buffett didn’t invest in it either.

Fins up, Parrotheads!! 😁🏴‍☠️🦩🍔🍹🏖️

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Looks like a good buy so far. Embarrassed how much I lost on both Carnival and NCL stocks. Surprised they are still not back to pre-pandemic prices because the ships seem full. 

Both are very diluted with added shares 

IPO distributions tend to have many things happening at the same time. Esp in something like this, where many of the proceeds from the new buyers are being used to pay out sellers. For the Hagen family, the public share price defines the value of their retained shares. Against which they can borrow etc.

The underwriting brokerage houses often "support" the prices for a few days or weeks until the shares find a good footing. They will buy and sell to make a market at a fair price for a while.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...