MSC Cruise- A Complete Horror Show

On 4/6/2024 at 9:55 PM, GARYRECON said:

My biggest complaint was the hot tubs were not hot and they should not let kids in them. Give them the one inside and that is it. 

Why? Kids are passengers too! They should be allowed to use the same amenities as adults, minus the alcohol and adult only area.

P.S. I don't have kids, I just like to defend their rights.

9 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Why? Kids are passengers too! They should be allowed to use the same amenities as adults, minus the alcohol and adult only area.

P.S. I don't have kids, I just like to defend their rights.

Kids were in the hot tubs because they weren’t allowed in the pool even with swim diapers. 

On 5/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, kwokpot said:

For basis of comparison.....

The one I posted and yours look very similar. And yes, food is subjective. Experience is personal and is also highly subjective, with possible impacts by anything not related to the actual experience. I used to love the RCI experience until I didn't anymore. Luckily for us, there are plenty of ships in the sea.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jules10192 said:

Kids were in the hot tubs because they weren’t allowed in the pool even with swim diapers. 

Okay, even I agree that is nasty. I meant potty trained kids, not babies! Babies don't belong in public pools and hot tubs, even with swim diapers on.

(For those that disagree, look into it yourself. Swim diapers don't hold much of anything)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Babies don't belong in public pools and hot tubs, even with swim diapers on.

"Babies in nappies are not allowed in the water and children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult." - MSC Faq

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Okay, even I agree that is nasty. I meant potty trained kids, not babies! Babies don't belong in public pools and hot tubs, even with swim diapers on.

(For those that disagree, look into it yourself. Swim diapers don't hold much of anything)

We had our 12 month old in the pools and hot tubs on Virtuosa in swim nappies. He was in the pools on Azura at 6 months old.

On Virtuosa an adult was sick in the pool....does that mean no adult should be allowed in the pool?

While vomit will cause the pool to shut down for cleaning at least it's fairly obvious and others will likely evacuate quickly.   Vomit doesn't usually have any pathogens in it.  Strained baby poop is less noticeable and can contain parasites like Crypto and bacteria like Giardia, Cholera, Shigella, and E. coli.  Those can be deadly to anyone using the pool after your baby's strained poop is left in there. You are putting anyone who later uses that pool at serious risk by taking a baby in the water.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

He was in the pools on Azura at 6 months old.

It depends (no pun) on the type of sanitization equipment that the ship has. Some ships allow swim diapers because those ships have the proper equipment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amurray88 said:

We had our 12 month old in the pools and hot tubs on Virtuosa in swim nappies. He was in the pools on Azura at 6 months old.

In my humble opinion the issue with babies or very young children is more of a health issue realted to the high tempreature of the water and it's affect on young children.  If I am not mistaken there are medical warnings against doing this, just like with sauna's.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

In my humble opinion the issue with babies or very young children is more of a health issue realted to the high tempreature of the water and it's affect on young children.  If I am not mistaken there are medical warnings against doing this, just like with sauna's.  

That's true, however we take our 12 month old to a hydro pool twice a week (have done since he was 2 or 3 weeks old) and I would say its alot warmer than the water on Virtuosa...although the hot tubs were warm at times. Some of the hot tubs were chilly!

To be honest, I'd have said the food in the MDR was more a health risk for him 🫣

19 hours ago, amurray88 said:

That's true, however we take our 12 month old to a hydro pool twice a week (have done since he was 2 or 3 weeks old) and I would say its alot warmer than the water on Virtuosa...although the hot tubs were warm at times. Some of the hot tubs were chilly!

To be honest, I'd have said the food in the MDR was more a health risk for him 🫣

Seriously, what part of NO BABIES WITH SWIM diapers or others are not allowed in the pools on MSC?  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 6:20 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

It depends (no pun) on the type of sanitization equipment that the ship has. Some ships allow swim diapers because those ships have the proper equipment.

What proper equipment?! What a hunk of cra*!  No such thing. It's  like swimming or soaking in bacteria/viral/fungi laden soup

On 7/26/2024 at 5:01 AM, amurray88 said:

On Virtuosa an adult was sick in the pool....does that mean no adult should be allowed in the pool?

Yes both.....OUT! 🤢

People mostly sail MSC because they're cheaper, but there's a reason why they're cheaper. There's people on here cheerleading MSC while complaining other cruise lines are too expensive. My last cruise on MSC in June 2024 on the Seashore wasn't full and I got a really great last minute deal on it, why can't they fill their ships when other lines are sailing at up to 132% capacity? The bar service is horrendous, guest service is a joke, food is hit or miss, 9:30 dinner dining times are ridiculous and I've also been given no dining time; but, I'll say the ships are really nice and I've never really had a problem with the room attendants. I was surprised to be charged $47 on the last day of the cruise for a bar charge after I had already left the ship when I had a drink package. MSC customer service won't even respond to my emails as to what that was for and I've been given 3 different "final" invoices all with different amounts with no explanation of the charge and one invoice even said I was owed money; that one quickly disappeared. By the way, these "final" invoices were still being changed more than a week after I disembarked the ship.

44 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

People mostly sail MSC because they're cheaper, but there's a reason why they're cheaper. There's people on here cheerleading MSC while complaining other cruise lines are too expensive. My last cruise on MSC in June 2024 on the Seashore wasn't full and I got a really great last minute deal on it, why can't they fill their ships when other lines are sailing at up to 132% capacity? The bar service is horrendous, guest service is a joke, food is hit or miss, 9:30 dinner dining times are ridiculous and I've also been given no dining time; but, I'll say the ships are really nice and I've never really had a problem with the room attendants. I was surprised to be charged $47 on the last day of the cruise for a bar charge after I had already left the ship when I had a drink package. MSC customer service won't even respond to my emails as to what that was for and I've been given 3 different "final" invoices all with different amounts with no explanation of the charge and one invoice even said I was owed money; that one quickly disappeared. By the way, these "final" invoices were still being changed more than a week after I disembarked the ship.

I've been on 24 cruises across 4 cruise lines so far. I have had great and not-so-great experiences on all four cruise lines, but my worst cruise was on Princess (by far). My second worse cruise was on NCL. And probably would put the third worst to Celebrity. But I would also put NCL and Celebrity cruises near the top of my list as well. Princess I have only done two cruises with and the second was just okay. My point is, any cruise line can have a bad sailing. I have sailed on the MSC Meraviglia four times and in the Divina once and I would rate all five of those sailings in the middle to top of my list. Certainly well worth the money I paid for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I've been on 24 cruises across 4 cruise lines so far. I have had great and not-so-great experiences on all four cruise lines, but my worst cruise was on Princess (by far). My second worse cruise was on NCL. And probably would put the third worst to Celebrity. But I would also put NCL and Celebrity cruises near the top of my list as well. Princess I have only done two cruises with and the second was just okay. My point is, any cruise line can have a bad sailing. I have sailed on the MSC Meraviglia four times and in the Divina once and I would rate all five of those sailings in the middle to top of my list. Certainly well worth the money I paid for them.

I have to say - genuinely, the food was horrific on Virtuosa a couple of weeks ago. I don't have high food standards, I was expecting excellence but this truly was diabolical. But as you say, the price was very very cheap ...can I complain? Maybe a little bit because it can't take that much money to make food "ok" but on the whole I can't grumble too much given the next cheapest cruise line would have been another ~50% on top of what we paid.

5 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I have to say - genuinely, the food was horrific on Virtuosa a couple of weeks ago. I don't have high food standards, I was expecting excellence but this truly was diabolical. But as you say, the price was very very cheap ...can I complain? Maybe a little bit because it can't take that much money to make food "ok" but on the whole I can't grumble too much given the next cheapest cruise line would have been another ~50% on top of what we paid.

Sorry to hear about the food on the Virtuosa. Was that ship-wide, just in the buffet, just in the MDR, in the specialty restaurants?

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 10:29 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have been on 69 cruises across 7 brands with another 8 cruises currently booked; there's always someone with more cruises. I don't let a bad sailing keep me from ever booking another cruise with that company; if I did I wouldn't have been on 9 MSC cruises on 5 different ships; you've been on 2 different ships. I see you had one really bad experience on Princess with a Christmas, New Years cruise but booked another this past May and another this August. My first Princess cruise was my first trip to Alaska and half of the stops and most of my shore excursions were cancelled due to propulsion issues that they knew about for at least a month, but instead of fixing the ship they limped it through the entire season, but I still booked more cruises with them because they made it right by giving us a 50% FCC and an OBC. While MSC is the last cruise line I consider, I continue to sail with them too because they're cheaper which seems to be the common theme on here, I know there's no perfect cruise line, and there are many aspects I like about MSC too.

Edited by Sailor75
Clarity

On 7/28/2024 at 1:05 PM, JamieLogical said:

Sorry to hear about the food on the Virtuosa. Was that ship-wide, just in the buffet, just in the MDR, in the specialty restaurants?

Sailing a few weeks previously on Virtuosa, for the fourth time in 36 months - and being both fussy and pescatarian - I had a different experience.   The buffet, like all huge ships, is something that needs careful thought.   MSC pizza is very good, there's also a really nice spicy vegetarian fried rice dish (can't remember its name or nationality), and if someone lined me up a row of panna cotta, I'd be happy.   As for the rest of the buffet - the bread variety is vast (the various focaccia deserve a special mention), and salad is, well .. salad.   

Hola is one of the nicest specialty restaurants I've been to, on any cruise ship, and fantastic value.   The MDR fish dishes (I cannot comment on meat / chicken) are always good, as are both the pasta and vegetarian dishes.   As for the other specialty restaurants, Kaito is an experience as much as a restaurant.   The fish and chips in Masters of the Sea are most definitely worth the small surcharge.

Everyone is entitled to their own subjective views.  At the end of the day, they really want the extra revenue from specialty venues   If I were to choose something I then didn't like, especially in the MDR, I wouldn't hesitate to have a quiet, polite word with either the waiter or his superior, and ask to change it.

• Like 1