QM2 Library selections

Tattycoram

My 16-year-old daughter and I will be on a QM2 transatlantic crossing this summer.  We are both excited about the library!

I've been reading past CC threads about the library where, not surprisingly, people mention what new books are available.  We're eclectic readers, but gravitate to classic literature and history--I feel the library itself would be a perfect setting for reading, say, Henry James or Evelyn Waugh.  However, I understand the QM2 library is supplied by a general supplier to cruise ships (Ocean Books), which leads me to wonder if the collection skews generic.  Is there a distinctive feel to the collection or is it predominantly new and popular books?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

My 16-year-old daughter and I will be on a QM2 transatlantic crossing this summer.  We are both excited about the library!

I've been reading past CC threads about the library where, not surprisingly, people mention what new books are available.  We're eclectic readers, but gravitate to classic literature and history--I feel the library itself would be a perfect setting for reading, say, Henry James or Evelyn Waugh.  However, I understand the QM2 library is supplied by a general supplier to cruise ships (Ocean Books), which leads me to wonder if the collection skews generic.  Is there a distinctive feel to the collection or is it predominantly new and popular books?

I believe Ocean Books also runs and supply their souvenir section of the Book Store right next to the Library. Books and other miscel about shipping, cruising and Cunard historical book.

The Library is a very popular location by many using it to check the computers, reading with furniture and chairs facing a wonderful view out the windows of the ship sailing thru the front.

It is open all the time for self leisurely reading but the Glass Cabinet Book Shelves are Locked when it is not attended by the Librarian.

Would have to ask on board what their source of obtaining books are from.

• Like 1

There are many kinds of books in the library - history, nautical, fashion, romance, sci-fi, thriller, police procedural, gardening, city/country guidebooks, and yes, classic literature.

• Like 3

I don't think Ocean Books is still their supplier. If they were, the bookshop selection of maritime books would be much better, and there still would be those beautiful journals ("Cunard Log Book")  with photos of Cunard ships. 

The library selection is quite varied and I always find something that catches my interest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One aspect to this question relates to the Everyman Classics and Everyman Modern/Contemporary Classics. You will recognise them when you see them - hardback books, quite traditional in style, acid free paper, sewn rather than glued bindings, with a long list of authors from Chaucer onwards. Mostly out of copyright, but a few which are still in copyright (e.g. J.M. Coetzee). The QM2 has a large number of books from this range, into the hundreds I would guess. As it happens, both Waugh (Handful of Dust) and James (The Golden Bowl) are in that series. As are related authors such as E.M. Forster and Edith Wharton respectively.

This is the American website, there is UK version of this but it's not as user-friendly, but it's a UK publishing house. I don't think they have every single item from the collection - which is about 400 different books - but probably a high percentage of them.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/CCS/everymans-library-contemporary-classics-series/

But generally the library isn't dumbed down, my only annoyance is that while they have The Times Atlas, it would be nice to have a few more atlas books with more detailed maps of particular areas.

• Like 3

I'm not too keen [at all] on 'worthy' books on vacation but I can confirm QM2 has a cracking library. As an avid reader [easily a book a day, depending on the author] I could run down a whole list of authors I consider writers of lightweight  holiday reading, and authors of more meaty tomes, but will just say, there will be books for just about every taste.

• Like 6

The problem is, if you get one of the seats that face forward, you will not do as much reading as you expect. You will spend a lot of time gazing out at the sea, or, heaven forfend, doze slightly.

• Like 6

Not the Library should not be used but it can be challenge to read as those inside attempting to read and use the space.

With "tourist" coming in and looking around and do attempt to converse, it does create a disturb which can be notice by those reading.

Also noise coming from the Book Stop.

Courtesy needs to be maintain for all those present.

Having read of the books brought from home on our last QM2 voyage I borrowed a good read from the library, but unfortunately did not finish it.A good reason to book another voyage ! Hoping it’s still in stock, as it was “a who done it”.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Having read of the books brought from home on our last QM2 voyage I borrowed a good read from the library, but unfortunately did not finish it.A good reason to book another voyage ! Hoping it’s still in stock, as it was “a who done it”.

Yes, I always bring a couple of books from home, but save them for the end, to avoid exactly that mishap. Mind you, I always read the end first, so I at least know who done it, if not how. 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a wonderful selection of books in the QM2 library, including quite a few about ocean liners and Cunard. Really enjoyed ‘The Only Way to Cross’ which covered the golden age of Transatlantic express liners. 

Transport also gets good coverage with whole sections on trains, planes (Concorde, Spitfire et al) and automobiles. 

There is also a beautiful hardcover edition of Paddington. 

IMG_3279.jpeg

Edited by Coathanger
  • Like 2

What a gorgeous Paddington!  I am definitely looking out for that to snuggle up with.

I do love the look of the library--and its windows--for reading and staring out to sea, but since it might sometimes be full or noisy, can anyone who's sailed on the QM2 before recommend other pleasant places to read?  I'm happy with variety:  a nook, a view, a place to put a cup of tea or glass or wine . . . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I always bring a couple of books from home, but save them for the end, to avoid exactly that mishap. Mind you, I always read the end first, so I at least know who done it, if not how. 😀

I prefer holding an actual book to reading on an iPad or Kindle but having been onboard a ship when Noro protocols closed the library, I know having nothing to read would actually ruin my holiday these days so I have a loaded Kindle and borrow digital books from our district library, downloaded onto my iPad.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The library rarely gets completely full in my experience, but the best seats (best view) are often taken. It's never been noisy while I've been in there. If there is an Insights lecture about the start the library often empties 10 minutes beforehand.  But if you go up a floor - the stairs are right by the library - to the Commodore Club that has even better views, and there's no need to order any drinks there. The bar doesn't open until 10 am anyway. Down a floor and back a bit is the Corinthia Lounge, which has plenty of comfortable seating and usually plenty of spare seats.

The secret place for a quiet read - so long as the Bridge crowd are not in session, is the Atlantic Room, on deck 11, where the library is nearly the same place on deck 8. Worth looking at the lighthouse pictures there too.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

It was the butler 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I prefer holding an actual book to reading on an iPad or Kindle but having been onboard a ship when Noro protocols closed the library, I know having nothing to read would actually ruin my holiday these days so I have a loaded Kindle and borrow digital books from our district library, downloaded onto my iPad.

I have all that, plus a couple of actual books plus the library onboard. Plus a further "emergency book" just in case of a zombie apocalypse or simialr. My husband laughs at me, but I don't care! 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I have all that, plus a couple of actual books plus the library onboard. Plus a further "emergency book" just in case of a zombie apocalypse or simialr. My husband laughs at me, but I don't care! 

I cottoned on to digital when my husband baulked at the fourteen paperbacks I tried to pack for a three week land based holiday. 🙂

He did have a point!🙃

Only avid readers would understand the need for...A BOOK!!!!!  😄

and the angst involved if we run out of reading matter! 😲

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 3

Nora hasn't read a real book for nearly fourteen years. She started off with a Sony e-reader that was smaller than a Kindle and fitted in a pocket. When the battery started to pack in after about seven years she went for her current Kobo.

She reads between two and three per week and normally has at least 150 titles sitting unread either on it or on my PC waiting to be transferred.

In two weeks on QM2 she didn't have time to read any, but did read on the flights to and from Heathrow.

She'll have a reader with her next time as well, and I wouldn't envisage her running short.

On 4/7/2024 at 5:53 PM, Victoria2 said:

I cottoned on to digital when my husband baulked at the fourteen paperbacks I tried to pack for a three week land based holiday. 🙂

He did have a point!🙃

Only avid readers would understand the need for...A BOOK!!!!!  😄

and the angst involved if we run out of reading matter! 😲

I don't like books, I don't enjoy books - I need books. On a cruise I take a kindle a kobo, apps on my phone and a real book. On a trip to the supermarket i just have my phone app. I don't read at the supermarket but I panic if I haven't got access to a book.

• Like 5

Hear, hear for book lovers!  As other cruise lines (e.g. HAL) eliminate their libraries, I'm so happy Cunard not only maintains but enhances their libraries.  Like other posters, I can always find an interesting book on their shelves; one of the things I particularly like is that they have books by UK authors that aren't commonly found in the US.  And another great resource is the librarys'  "paperback exchange" section where passengers leave books they've brought on board and finished reading.  Those have a huge range of genres; tip:  go the first day you board and, if you have room in your carryon or luggage, late on the day prior to disembarkation, you can usually find an intriguing title for the trip home.  

• Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 7:11 AM, exlondoner said:

The gallery on Deck 2/3 where the games tables are is my favourite place, especially if there are waves.

Games tables are on the port side of the ship, and a reader blocking an intending player's access to a games table will not be too popular.  The corresponding space on the starboard side has swivel tub chairs right in front of large, virtually sea-level windows.

I've attached a photo of the area with my dear and departed travelling companion Linda.

Another nice reading nook is the Champagne bar off the main lobby on 3, especially in the mornings.  Although come to think of it, I've never really seen people in that area actually drinking; it seems rather like the old Winter Garden before someone had the inspiration to create the Carinthia lounge.

IMG_1961.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1