Cruising on Carnival ships to Jamaica

Some people on Cruise Critic do not know there is an area to ask Jamaica questions, but for those that do not know, that is why I am asking my question's here. For those that have cruised on Carnival ships (Legend, Horizon, Liberty) within the past couple of years to either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios Jamaica, would you give me your pros/cons of the ships, as well as visiting either of those ports?

Posted (edited)

We were on Legend to Montego Bay. Since I was ill and confined to my cabin that day I can't give any direct thoughts of the port, but those I was cruising with had a great time ashore (they toured a haunted plantation). Legend is an older ship but is in good repair and is easy enough to navigate. My signature has a link to my review of a previous trip on Legend.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

Of the 3 ships you mentioned Horizon is the newest and largest ship.  Not my favorite due to its size, though it has features the others don't have. (Havana area which we were in,  some food differences, sky ride, etc.). We have been to Ochos Rios many times.  If you have never done Dunns River that is probably a must-do.  Do not go "wandering" outside port area by yourselves - not too safe.  Haven't been to Montego Bay in years, so can't really help you with that port.

• Thanks 1

Ocho Rios is a better port of call than Montego Bay. Better infrastructure and accessibility to activities and shore excursions. 

Of the 3 ships listed, Horizon is the newest, largest, and with the most amenities. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the best choice for you. Some people prefer the smaller ships. 

• Like 2

Legend is sister to Pride, which you sailed in Europe.  There is only one available pier in Ocho Rios, since Magic damaged the main pier.  If two ships are scheduled, one will dock at the James Bond dock, and the other goes to Montego Bay or Falmouth.  EM

• Like 1

Horizon by far the better ship being its bigger and newer with more venues and fun.  IMHO, we would choose Mo Bay over any other stops in Jamaica (cruising or land vaca).  We have always had a great time in Jamaica over the years and Montego Bay typically is our go to.  Keep in mind you will be on the ship way longer than your stop in Jamaica will be so I would def choose which cruise by the ship in this case.  

We were in Ocho Rios in January on the Legend.  We did a sightseeing tour w/lunch which was booked through the ship.  The mini-bus was clean, comfortable and air conditioned and the driver and guide were both great.  Others we got to know on our ship rode ATV's and horses, and went to the falls and the beaches.  Everyone we spoke with had a good time.

• Like 1

We were on Glory, which is the same class as Liberty, to Montego Bay February 2023.  I love Conquest class ships, but of the ones you mentioned, I might like Horizon the best.  We stuck with an excursion and rode ATVs, decently fun, but not the best ATV excursion we've done.  It was at an excursion park though, so lots of people there for lots of different things, horseback riding, beach, etc.  The beach there was beautiful.

I agree that I wouldn't wonder out too much on my own.  My brother actually had to disembark in Montego Bay due to a medical emergency.  Carnival helped arrange transport to the airport.  Apparently it was quite an experience in the taxi to the airport, with the driver talking about wanting to shoot his boss who lived in the mansion on the hill.  He also kept offering to take them shopping, instead of the airport.

After that report, I don't think I'd taxi anywhere on my own.

• Like 1

I would rather be in Ocho Rios. I did the Dunn's River Falls tour from Montego and it was a long, long bus ride. It seemed like a lot of the excursions were in Ocho Rios. It may depend on what you want to do. If you just want to do the hip strip and Margaritaville, Montego may be a good option. But overall I think you're better off in Ocho.

I haven't been on any of those ships but I've been on all of those ship classes and it would be Horizon by a wide margin for me.

When we had a Carnival cruise that included Jamaica (Ochos Rios), we went on the Bob Marley bus tour. It was a blast, and we got to see a part of Jamaica that tourists usually do not see.

• Like 3

Been on all three ships multiple times, Legend being the smallest and has a great Serenity area.  Horizon will always be our fav for Havana area and rooms.  Jamaica gets a bad rap, we have traveled there many times and many land trips.  Natives are not hostile, they have a different way of life.  Would I go around town to bars at night?  No. Would I be hesitant to do touristy things?  Absolutely not.

• Like 9

Thank you for your postings. I'm still in the debate area about Jamaica. The reason I say this, there will be 7 or 8 adults, and I really don't see how we would have big issues with the locals, with us all together.

17 hours ago, beshears said:

Thank you for your postings. I'm still in the debate area about Jamaica. The reason I say this, there will be 7 or 8 adults, and I really don't see how we would have big issues with the locals, with us all together.

You'll be fine. 

• Like 3

Mangrove Snapper, thank you. I had talked with one of my sons and he said the vendors were a little bit bothersome, but he thought we could handle that.

• Like 1

We are a family of 4 and we’re on the Horizon last October. I enjoyed the ship, did not enjoy Jamaica and Grand Cayman. As you can see by my signature we are booked on the same ship and itinerary again. I am actually thinking of canceling the trip.

Jamica we did the falls (not Duns River) and beach tour. The falls were nice the beach was way to far of a drive for a short time at the beach. 90 minute drive 60 minutes at beach. 

Do I think Jamica is safe for tourists, yes if you use your head. Stay in tourist areas. Stay in a group. I would recommend a ships tour as opposed to going off on your own.

We did this cruise as I wanted the kids to swim with the stingrays in GC.

Would I do this trip again, probably not. Would I sail the Horizon again, Yes.

I am not against Jamica and would not tell you to avoid it. It is just not my favorite port. I’m a tad spoiled as I have been to multiple ports.

Horizon is a good ship and you will enjoy it, Jamica and GC are a good place to visit at least once. You will enjoy yourself and should be safe. For me, it’s just not a place I would go to multiple times.

2 hours ago, nydney1 said:

We are a family of 4 and we’re on the Horizon last October. I enjoyed the ship, did not enjoy Jamaica and Grand Cayman. As you can see by my signature we are booked on the same ship and itinerary again. I am actually thinking of canceling the trip.

Jamica we did the falls (not Duns River) and beach tour. The falls were nice the beach was way to far of a drive for a short time at the beach. 90 minute drive 60 minutes at beach. 

Do I think Jamica is safe for tourists, yes if you use your head. Stay in tourist areas. Stay in a group. I would recommend a ships tour as opposed to going off on your own.

We did this cruise as I wanted the kids to swim with the stingrays in GC.

Would I do this trip again, probably not. Would I sail the Horizon again, Yes.

I am not against Jamica and would not tell you to avoid it. It is just not my favorite port. I’m a tad spoiled as I have been to multiple ports.

Horizon is a good ship and you will enjoy it, Jamica and GC are a good place to visit at least once. You will enjoy yourself and should be safe. For me, it’s just not a place I would go to multiple times.

We have been to Jamaica twice. The first time was for our 20th anniversary (way back last century) and stayed at an AI that was owned by the locals and no longer exists. The sec time as I wrote previously was on a cruise and we took the Carnival Bob Marley bus tour. We thoroughly enjoyed Jamaica both times.

Grand Caymans was on the same cruise as Jamaica. Frankly, I found it the most boring cruise port we ever were in.

If you get drawn for Falmouth be aware it's a good possibility you may get cancelled and wind up with a sea day. Just got off horizon no Jamaica for us.capitano said it was too rough to dock. Don't spend that $1.46 refund in one place if you don't get to dock.

• Haha 3

Wow, surprised to read the comments about Grand Cayman.  I love that port!  I'd go there again and again.  Tendering was a hindrance, but aside from that, one of my favorite ports!