Unable to sign in today

BigAl94

Posted (edited)

Just had to change my password as well.

As an FYI...

Celebrity (or RCG if this also includes Royal) hasn't given any indication that I've seen as to why they're requiring people to change their password. One reason could simply be that they've changing their authentication system on the back end. The other reason could be concern of compromise.

If you're "changing" your password to your old password and there's been a security compromise, you're changing your password back to the compromised password. Choose a different password. If you used your old Celebrity password on other sites, change your password on those sites. Especially if it was a bank or credit card site. It's really poor internet security to reuse passwords, and it's pretty bad on Celebrity to let you use your old password on a forgot my password link. Don't reuse your new Celebrity password on other sites or reuse your password from another site on Celebrity. 

And yes, I have a bunch of rarely used sites that need a cleanup as well. 

Edit: Requiring password changes also effectively freezes old, unused accounts. Another good security idea.

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, markeb said:

Celebrity (or RCG if this also includes Royal) hasn't given any indication that I've seen as to why they're requiring people to change their password. One reason could simply be that they've changing their authentication system on the back end. The other reason could be concern of compromise.

If you're "changing" your password to your old password and there's been a security compromise, you're changing your password back to the compromised password.

I called and was transferred to a department (not reservations) that said it was a system upgrade and there were issues with it and their computer folk were still looking into it but that there definitely was NOT a security breach.

One of the accounts I control never had issues with logging in and didn't require a password reset/change.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

6 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I called and was transferred to a department (not reservations) that said it was a system upgrade and there were issues with it and their computer folk were still looking into it but that there definitely was NOT a security breach.

One of the accounts I control never had issues with logging in and didn't require a password reset/change.

Thanks.

It's still bad internet security to change back to your existing password, and even worse on their end to allow it.

I have to clear cookies regularly for celebrity. It's the only one I have issues with. Cannot log in at all today with safari but can with chrome. It's the worst website I've had to deal with.  

On 4/15/2024 at 10:38 AM, twins_to_alaska said:

I was able to use the same password I already had when I 'changed' it.

I did as well.  Another example of their fine IT service.  Thank goodness the onboard experience is nothing like their other automation!

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If it was a data breach, they want your credit card #, would be a very bored hacker if they logged into your account and booked cruises for you 

With the way folks are talking about reusing their old password, they’d get your password from a relatively soft target (Celebrity), then try it on banks and credit cards. Probably successful 50% of the time…

6 hours ago, markeb said:

It's still bad internet security to change back to your existing password, and even worse on their end to allow it.

If a password change had been needed it would have been bad... but in this case there was no reason for the system to be asking you to change your password... they don't know why it was asking for that for some accounts but not others. So it was basically just signing in again and confirming the password. I don't use my celebrity password on my other accounts 🙂

Posted (edited)

I had to change mine yesterday and again today.  wonder what tomorrow will bring?  Change is the only constant, but that’s rediculous.🤷‍♀️

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

If a password change had been needed it would have been bad... but in this case there was no reason for the system to be asking you to change your password... they don't know why it was asking for that for some accounts but not others. So it was basically just signing in again and confirming the password. I don't use my celebrity password on my other accounts 🙂

That's one of the oddities. It wouldn't let me sign in and I had to use the "Forgot Password" link. No prompt to change my password. My wife hasn't tried her account.

On 4/15/2024 at 3:07 AM, BigAl94 said:

Both on the web and smartphone app I am unable to sign in to my Celebrity account this morning - anyone else? I know the details are correct.

I ran into that too and just redid my password, which was the exact one I had and all was fine.

Question.  For those people who jumped through Celebrity's hoop to change the password and used the same password, upon trying to log in on the app, did the app suddenly work, or were you required to change the password there as well.

I cannot log into the app nor the website on my laptop.  TIA for any info.

This morning it did accept my street name so was able to reset password in Safari on my iPad.  Haven’t tried the app today, but I don’t have any cruises booked.  EM

Posted (edited)

Have a cruise booked May 12 and cannot get into the website today. A month ago Celebrity helped me change our passwords and I did so with an agent from Celebrity walking me through the steps, so very hesitant to try again. Have gotten the message today that the problem is on their end.  All checked in a week ago (I HOPE) but cannot print luggage tags. Sure hope this resolves soon.

Edited by lambs2

28 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

Have a cruise booked May 12 and cannot get into the website today. A month ago Celebrity helped me change our passwords and I did so with an agent from Celebrity walking me through the steps, so very hesitant to try again. Have gotten the message today that the problem is on their end.  All checked in a week ago (I HOPE) but cannot print luggage tags. Sure hope this resolves soon.

Pretty simple to change the password, and you can even re-use your current one (safe if you are not using it for any other websites).  Give it a shot.  We used to be your neighbors down south in Port Orange, but moved out west after 46 years.  

• Like 1